Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $5 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Senior Computer ScientistApply Information Sciences Institute Marina del Rey, California
Information Sciences Institute (ISI), a unit of USC’s Viterbi School of Engineering, is a world leader in the research and development of advanced information processing, computing, and communications technologies. ISI operates one of the Internet’s 13 Domain Name System’s root servers and runs one of the largest academic high-performance computing clusters. ISI has three research campuses: one in Marina Del Rey, CA; one in Arlington, VA; and one in Waltham, MA.
This position is located in Marina del Rey, CA.
ISI seeks applicants for a Senior Computer Scientist for its Networking and Cybersecurity Division. ISI is looking for candidates specializing in networking protocol analysis and development, intrusion detection, and the development, deployment, testing, and analysis and operation of Domain Name System (DNS) services specifically. A successful candidate for this position will have a degree in Computer Science or a related field and the relevant work experience to provide strong technical knowledge in networking, programming and analysis. Experience or coursework in a number of: networking, routing, network management, configuration management, security, signal analysis, statistics, machine learning, parallel processing, source code management and operating systems.
Successful applicants to this position will participate in multiple research efforts conducted at ISI, including weak-signal analysis, DDoS protection of critical infrastructure services like the B-Root DNS server, and the development of a specialized DNS testbed. Team members work together to create, define and implement new algorithms and techniques to benefit these and other research efforts.
Research staff at ISI participate in creating novel research, implementing it as a proof of concept and eventually optimizing them for scalability and robustness for eventual deployment in operational networks. As an academically situated institute, ISI encourages the development of and contributions to open source tool kits and academic publications.
- Generates research ideas. Applies computer science principles and concepts in the planning, coordinating, and executing of research objectives. Contributes state-of-the-art technology and theories.
- Solves a wide-range of research problems in creative and effective ways. Selects methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Writes articles for publication.
- Makes presentations at conferences, participates in workshops, and collaborates in specific areas of research.
- Stays informed of new developments and technologies by reading journals and other pertinent publications, maintaining contact with vendors, and participating in professional organizations, meetings and seminars.
Necessary skills: extensive experience with DNS, general networking protocols, data analysis, Linux/Unix, git, bash as well as a strong programming background in Python and C.
Additionally desired skills: experience with Fedora/CentOS, testing frameworks, statistics, perl, hadoop, ansible, and operational network management and monitoring. Knowledge of DNSSEC, PKI, SQL, intrusion detection. and machine learning.
The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
- 10 years of experience
- Doctorate degree or suitable combined experience/education
- Minimum Field of Expertise: Knowledge of research processes and computer science. Ability to take specific research problems, apply computer science principles, and derive solutions. Ability to interact with other project members in a positive and constructive manner to reach solutions to research problems.
REQ20067614 Posted Date: 11/07/2018 Apply