Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Computer Scientist - Hardware SecurityApply Viterbi School of Engineering Arlington, Virginia
USC’s Information Sciences Institute (ISI), a unit of the university’s Viterbi School of Engineering, is a world leader in the research and development of advanced artificial intelligence, information processing, computing, and communications technologies. ISI’s 400 faculty, professional staff and graduate students carry out extraordinary information sciences research at three distinct locations - Marina Del Rey, CA; Arlington, VA; and Waltham, MA.
*This position is based in Arlington, VA. Remote work options are available *
The Reconfigurable Computing Group (RCG) at ISI is a leader in disrupting and advancing the fields of front-end ASIC and FPGA design, computer architecture, and EDA tools. As an applied research lab, our work spans the creation and maturation of ideas from academic conception to applied research prototypes.
RCG staff can be found:
- Researching and developing toolsets to map AI algorithms directly to hardware,
- Optimizing full scale testing of billion transistor FPGAs to minimal runtime,
- Performing experiments on the International Space Station,
- Utilizing ISI’s MOSIS service to fabricate novel computer architectures.
Our success is based on investing in our staff through a culture centered on:
- Learning and idea generation,
- Transparent and constructive feedback, and
- Continual growth through contributing to, creating, and leading a research agenda.
We are looking for highly talented, motivated researchers to lead research and development in the area of secure hardware.
- Research and develop techniques to quantifiably measure the effectiveness and vulnerabilities of hardware security approaches.
- Lead efforts analyzing and evaluating the effectiveness of hardware security techniques such as obfuscation, logic locking, or programmability for use in advanced lithography nodes and real-world System on a Chip use cases in terms of quantifiable security, overhead, and useability metrics.
- This position will lead research, propose major innovations, collaborate with peers within the group and across ISI, publish results in top tier conferences, and contribute to or lead proposals.
Position specific JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- PhD or MS and equivalent experience in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science required.
- Established publication record in Hardware Security, Computer Architecture, or ASIC design.
- Strong software engineering skills (Algorithms, Data Structures, etc).
- Expert level programming in Verilog or VHDL.
- Experience scripting standard digital design tools such as Cadence Genus, and Innovus or Synopsys Design Compiler, and IC compiler.
- Expert level understanding of SAT, ATPG, or reverse engineering tools.
- Ability to evaluate, critique, adapt, and apply published research on hardware security and ASIC design.
- Ability to handle Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI). Eligibility to handle CUI requires U.S. Citizenship.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Publication on or experience with circuit obfuscation, logic locking, IP redaction, side channels, and associated vulnerabilities a strong plus.
- Familiarity with 3rd generation Artificial Intelligence a plus.
- Experience with open source CAD tools such as ABC, Yosys, etc a plus.
The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
Minimum Education: Master's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience: 3 years Minimum Field of Expertise: Knowledge of research processes and computer science.
REQ20110547 Posted Date: 08/10/2022 Apply