Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Senior Computer/Electronics Engineer - Digital Design and SecurityApply Viterbi School of Engineering Arlington, Virginia
USC’s Information Sciences Institute (ISI), a unit of the university’s Viterbi School of Engineering, is a world leader in the research and development of advanced artificial intelligence, information processing, computing, and communications technologies. ISI’s 400 faculty, professional staff and graduate students carry out extraordinary information sciences research at three distinct locations - Marina Del Rey, CA; Arlington, VA; and Waltham, MA.
*This position is based in Arlington, VA. Remote work options are available *
The Reconfigurable Computing Group (RCG) at ISI is a leader in disrupting and advancing the fields of FPGA and front-end ASIC design, computer architecture, and EDA tools. As an applied research lab, our work spans the creation and maturation of ideas from academic conception to applied research prototypes.
The RCG is looking for a Senior Computer/Electronics Engineer to join the team.
RCG staff can be found:
- Researching and developing toolsets to map AI algorithms directly to hardware,
- Optimizing full scale testing of billion transistor FPGAs to minimal runtime,
- Performing experiments on the International Space Station,
- Utilizing ISI’s MOSIS service to fabricate novel computer architectures.
Our success is based on investing in our staff through a culture centered on:
- Learning and idea generation,
- Transparent and constructive feedback, and
- Continual growth through contributing to, creating, and leading a research agenda.
We are looking for highly talented, motivated technical leaders to join our team. This position will lead the design and development of hardware and software solutions to assure the security, reliability, functional correctness, and performance of FPGA designs and architectures. The successful candidate will realize solutions in a variety of real-world FPGA-based systems such as unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), autonomous robotic swarms, and critical national defense infrastructure. The successful candidate will also lead development and validation while contributing to advanced research; adapt research and commercial-grade CAD tools to accomplish research objectives, collaborate with peers within the group and across ISI; contribute to publications in top tier conferences; and contribute to and lead proposals efforts.
Position specific JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Graduate degree or equivalent experience in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science required.
- Expert-level knowledge of FPGA architecture and device primitives demonstrated through implementing real world applications on Zynq/Virtex-7/UltraScale+ or similar Intel devices.
- 10-15 years of experience in digital design for Xilinx/Intel FPGAs using VHDL/Verilog including the configuration of synthesis options and timing/area constraints.
- 10-15 years of experience using C/C++, Python, and/or Java in a digital EDA or embedded software environment.
- Experience using TCL to script CAD flows for digital design tools.
- Applicants selected for this position will require access to Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI). Per U.S. government regulations, eligibility to handle CUI requires U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent residency.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Understanding of FPGA bitstream formats and experience using tools such as Google Project X-Ray, RapidSmith, or TORC to develop custom bitstreams.
- 10-15 years of experience using digital logic formal verification and/or model checking tools such as Synopsys Formality, Cadence Conformal, Synopsys VC Formal.
- Experience leveraging unit testing and configuration frameworks for software and hardware such as Jenkins, JUnit, PyTest, etc.
- Experience with software revision control systems such as Git, Mercurial, SVN, etc.
- Experience using C/C++, Python, and/or Java to develop custom CAD tools (I.E. to build/optimize/modify a digital circuit).
The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
Minimum Education: Master's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience: 3 years Minimum Field of Expertise: Working knowledge of electrical & computer engineering; experience with CAE/CAD tools, modern design methodologies & development of solutions for specific design tasks using engineering principles.
REQ20097592 Posted Date: 09/13/2021 Apply