Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $5 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
System Administrator/Information System Security OfficerApply Information Sciences Institute Arlington, Virginia
Information Sciences Institute (ISI), a unit of USC’s Viterbi School of Engineering, is a world leader in the research and development of advanced information processing, computing, and communications technologies. ISI operates one of the world’s largest academic high-performance computing clusters. ISI has three research campuses: one in Marina Del Rey, CA; one in Arlington, VA; and one in Waltham, MA.
This position is located in Arlington, VA.
The University of Southern California/Information Sciences Institute is one of the nation’s largest, most successful university-affiliated computer research institutes. Our work ranges from theoretical basic research, such as core engineering and computer science discovery, to applied research and development, such as design and modeling of innovative prototypes and devices.
ISI is seeking an experienced System Administrator/Information System Security Officer to support core institute infrastructure and services. You will also have responsibility for the security configuration of several key systems. In that role, you will accredit, maintain, audit, and participate in assessments for secure systems and networks.
As a System Administrator/Information System Security Officer at ISI, you will have the opportunity to work with other highly-skilled technology experts on complex systems and interesting technical challenges.
This position requires a range of existing skills and prior experience, including specialization in the following categories:
- Active Directory / Windows Server 2012 R2
- RHEL and/or Ubuntu Linux (or similar)
- Security hardening of information systems
- VMware virtualization platforms
Candidates with significant experience in several of the following categories will be preferred:
- Experience with NIST 800-171, NIST 800-53, and/or the DSS Risk Management Framework
- CISSP or similar security credential
- Implementation of L2 networks, particularly with Cisco, HPE, Aruba, and/or Arista gear
- Automation and Orchestration: e.g. Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Powershell, Vagrant, Ruby, and/or Python
- Multiple virtualization platforms: e.g. VMWare vSphere, Hyber-V, KVM, and/or OpenStack
- Deploying and supporting common open source software packages
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Manage, support, and upgrade (software and hardware) the ISI infrastructure and facilities.
- Proactively identify and resolve system reliability and performance concerns.
- Provide analytical and technical expertise on system integration, installation, replacement and upgrades of servers and operating systems.
- Develop and maintain appropriate system documentation. Formulate standards for system management.
Strong candidates will be self-motivated and ready to engage in lively technical give-and-take.
A successful applicant for this position must be willing and able to successfully obtain and maintain a TS/SCI clearance. Candidates with existing TS/SCI clearance will be preferred. Only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
The University of Southern California values diversity, and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 5 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Expert understanding and strong technical knowledge of and experience with systems administration, backups, operating systems programming languages and associated hardware platforms. Possesses the required knowledge to build, configure, load and restore a system from the ground up. Previous systems administration experience required.
REQ20047879 Posted Date: 08/07/2017 Apply