Keck Medicine of USC
Keck Medicine of USC includes the Keck School of Medicine of USC, the region’s first medical school; the renowned USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, one of the first comprehensive cancer centers established by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in the United States; the USC Care Medical Group, a medical faculty practice; the Keck Medical Center of USC, which includes two acute care hospitals: 401-licensed bed Keck Hospital of USC and 60-licensed bed USC Norris Cancer Hospital; and USC Verdugo Hills Hospital, a 158-licensed bed community hospital. It also includes more than 40 outpatient facilities, some at affiliated hospitals, in Los Angeles, Orange, Kern, Tulare and Ventura counties.
In 2016, U.S. News & World Report ranked Keck Medical Center of USC among the Top 10 hospitals in the state and among the Top 50 hospitals in the United States in seven specialties: ophthalmology, urology, cancer, geriatrics, orthopedic surgery, nephrology and cardiology and heart surgery.
Medical Laboratory Technician - Laboratory - Full-Time 8 Hour NightsApply Lab - Clinical Glendale, California
Assists the Clinical Laboratory Scientist by performing routine specimen processing and analysis under direct supervision. The Technician may perform routine automated analysis, instrument checks, calibration, maintenance and quality control; under the direct supervision of a Licensed Clinical Laboratory Scientist on duty. Duties of Laboratory Technicians also involve clerical functions such as answering telephone inquires and communicating with outside clients as well as reference laboratories utilized by the hospital.
- Perform routine operations of instruments as specified by the manufacturers and procedure manual: a) loading specimens; b) testing; c) make dilutions and prepare reagents; d) report test results for waived or moderate complexity testing after competency has been documented.
- Perform all waived and moderate complexity testing procedures in assigned department, as described in the departmental procedure manual. Verify results with repeat analysis or confirmation testing per protocol.
- Perform waived testing, phlebotomy, specimen collection or specimen processing without supervision. On site supervision is required when moderate complexity testing is being performed.
- Perform venipuncture and capillary punctures following the lab procedure manual guidelines and utilizing CAP/ASCP methodology. Maintain a better than 80% success rate in vein and capillary puncture.
- Perform blood culture collection technique so that personal annual contamination rate does not exceed.
- Proper use of containers, collection timing, labeling, centrifugation and specimen processing techniques. Perform complex specimen processing and send out procedures. Instruct outpatients of proper specimen collection (i.e., UA’s, cultures, O&P collection, 24 hour specimen collection, etc.) as described by the lab procedure manual and LIS on-line instructions.
- Understand calibration procedures and requirements as stated in the operations and procedure manuals.
- Perform method validation on moderately complex tests under CLS supervision.
- Responsible for simple maintenance (i.e. daily, weekly, monthly) as specified by the manufacturer and procedure manual.
- Perform simple and major trouble shooting procedures and adjustments as outlined in instrument operations manual or as specified by the manufacturers in “hot-line” situations
- Authorize service calls when situation requires major manufacturers repair beyond the employee’s scope
- Understand use of quality control material (i.e. means, acceptable ranges, trends, shifts, and out of control procedures) as outlined in departmental procedure manual.
- Help to maintain records by documenting quality control results, out of control action, and informing supervisors of recurring problems or those problems requiring immediate attention.
- Understand collection and handling requirements for procedures, as defined in departmental procedure manuals.
- Prepare and stain peripheral blood smears for CLS review. Perform special staining techniques (i.e. Wright’s stain, or malaria stains).
- Perform microbiology setups. Perform moderately complex molecular tests; prepare Ova & Parasite setups, and gram stains.
- Perform and report rapid serology testing of waived or moderately complex testing
- Responsible for phoning test results as requested by the ordering physician or as required by departmental procedure manuals (i.e. stats, panic values, and drug levels).
- Perform testing within specified time periods as stated in procedure manuals (i.e. stats, panic values, and drug levels)
- Demonstrate ability to complete tasks with a minimum of supervision. Follow safety guidelines as specified by the departmental and hospital fire and safety manual.
- Restock supplies and equipment used in work area, inventory and maintain adequate supplies in the lab.
- Notify supervisor of any areas that the employee requires assistance or training or current written procedures that are unclear or inadequate.
- AA degree having completed 60 semester units of clinical courses in addition to 6 month externship and a valid state license for MLT.
- MLT’s are required to complete 24 units of continuing education biannually and pay licensing fees to CDPH, pursuant to CCR, Title 17, section 1032.5 and BPC section 1260.3.
As part of Keck Medicine of USC, USC Verdugo Hills Hospital is the only community hospital in the Foothills area of Los Angeles backed by an academic medical center. With its 40-year legacy of personalized care from expert physicians, experience nurses and a dedicated staff the community has come to know and trust, USC–VHH brings patients the latest medical advancements and 24/7 emergency services. Join this world-class team providing highly-specialized care, up-to-the-minute research and innovative clinical trials.
REQ20052555 Posted Date: 12/18/2017 Apply