Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $5 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Assistant Director, Strategic Alliances and Corporate CollaborationApply USC Stevens Center for Innovation Los Angeles, California
The University of Southern California (USC) is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $5 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks (http://benefits.usc.edu), and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. If you think you’ve got what it takes, please continue reading!
The USC Stevens Center for Innovation is seeking to hire a creative, enthusiastic, high-energy and detail oriented Assistant Director, Corporate Collaborations & Strategic Alliances, Life Sciences to join its team. Under the direction of the Director of Licensing, the Assistant Director will manage and pursue corporate-academic partnerships aligned with USC’s broad range of programs and initiatives in the life sciences and serve as a point of contact for corporate relations with existing and new partners.
USC Stevens leads university initiatives that empower USC faculty and students to maximize the impact of their research and scholarship by creating successful relationships with investors, corporations, and other private entities, including start-up companies (http://stevens.usc.edu). USC Stevens is unique as it is partially endowed by a generous donation from USC trustee and Sequoia Capital partner Mark Stevens, reports to the Vice President of Research, and has the full support of the USC Provost.
The Assistant Director of Corporate Collaborations will develop, maintain, and expand corporate collaborations and strategic alliances with a primary focus on technologies spanning the Life Sciences with emphasis on regenerative medicine, medical devices, drug development and precision medicine. This position will work closely with industry, government-industry consortiums, professional services and other relevant industry organizations to form key relationships, increase awareness and leverage credibility of USC academic programs. The position requires an ability to identify and articulate the value propositions for multiple collaborators and facilitate the inclusion of that information in the negotiation and development of the contracts and agreements that formalize the partnerships. The successful candidate will build strong internal relationships with administrators, faculty, and staff in each college and research center to appropriately match the interests and needs of external partners with the strengths of the USC research community. This individual will work to develop, sustain and maximize new and existing relationships, and position USC as a collaborative partner of choice.
Other responsibilities include:
- Effectively manages and grows client relationships, maintaining strong relationships with key liaisons in each company.
- Prepares briefings and presents information to individuals and groups of varying sizes and levels of leadership.
- Works with USC and personal business contacts and uses research resources (on-line databases, literature, and other information sources) to identify potential collaborators, decision makers, and to conduct market analysis.
- Creates innovative ways to reach industry and aligns academic programs with organizational needs.
- Works with USC across various functional teams to ensure smooth processes, collaboration and compliance.
- Attends, presents, and/or exhibits at key industry conferences to represent USC and to showcase USC capabilities and academic offerings, leveraging marketing collateral and other resources.
- Assess corporate calls for proposals in the life science fields prior to circulating to the USC Research community to ensure efficient execution of successful proposals under these programs.
- Provides feedback and input from current and prospective partners in these markets.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Support site visits by industry to ensure that they are planned and executed professionally.
USC strongly values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment. Women and men, and members of all racial and ethnic groups, are encouraged to apply.
Note: A Complete Application includes a cover letter and resume. Incomplete applications may not receive consideration
- MS or Ph.D. in a Life Sciences Discipline, such as Biology, Immunology, or Biochemistry.
Experience: 7 years
Preferred Field of Expertise
- Expertise in university-academic collaborations, and corporate fundraising, preferably at a leading research university. Ability to develop and implement strategies to develop long-term corporate partnerships.
- Excellent communication skills, including public speaking and fundraising proposal writing.
- Ability to actively listen to corporate representatives and faculty with a technical focus, identify areas of common interest, and articulate a compelling case for partnership with the USC research enterprise.
- Highly motivated professional with solid success at achieving or surpassing ambitious fundraising targets.
- Bachelor's Degree in a Life Science discipline
Minimum Experience: 5 years
Minimum Field of Expertise:
- Business development experience for early stage technology/research in a corporate or university setting.
- Requires a high degree of technical and business expertise, including an understanding of the management of very early stage inventions in the context of corporate partnership development.
- Requires understanding of the research and technology development process and at least five years related industry experience.
- Must have a general understanding of patent law and intellectual property governance.
- Knowledge of current market conditions and trends for corporate research and partnership agreements.
- Proven ability to establish and sustain effective partnerships.
- Major campaign, fundraising, public relations and/or volunteer management experience
Manages new and ongoing academic-industry collaborations and strategic alliances. Expands the portfolio of external opportunities. Develops, maintains, and expands corporate collaborations and strategic alliances with a primary focus on technologies spanning the physical sciences or life sciences
REQ20072025 Posted Date: 03/14/2019 Apply