At USC Auxiliary Services, our mission is to create the best USC experience for our students, faculty, staff, visitors and community members, as we provide services across our six business units (Hospitality, Housing, Transportation, Bookstores, Radisson Hotel and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum). Auxiliary Services works diligently to welcome all visitors into the Trojan family and we are driven to succeed by our commitment to USC’s core values. Our team is comprised of some of the very best people in our industries, with diverse backgrounds and experiences, who come together to provide the best products and best service for all Trojans.
Assistant Kitchen Manager, EVKApply USC Hospitality - EVK Los Angeles, California
From fine dining restaurants to residential dining, USC Hospitality serves over 65,000 students, athletes, faculty, and staff, as well as our many visitors. Hospitality is one of the six core business units that comprise USC Auxiliary Services and one of the largest employers on campus. We are renowned for our fresh take on self-operated food concepts with 43 restaurants between both campuses. The team at USC Hospitality is led by innovative executive chefs and directors who strive every day to craft nourishing and wholesome alternatives for our hungry Trojan Family and our guests.
We at USC Hospitality take pride in offering the best in residential dining options to our students, athletes, faculty, and staff. From Parkside Restaurant & Grill to Everybody’s Kitchen (EVK) to the University Village, our team works hard to make sure there are fresh, healthy options for all of our developing Trojans. We look forward to meeting the changing needs of the USC community, including the introduction of locally sourced whole foods to fuel our guests for studying and student life and home-style meals to welcome every guest into our family. Each restaurant offers a unique communal dining experience appealing to a variety of dining preferences and nutritional lifestyles of our diverse student population.
We are seeking an Assistant Kitchen Manager to join our rapidly growing team.
We set our standards high when it comes to the quality of our food and our customer service, with the expectation that all of our meals are fresh, innovative, healthy, and satisfying. Our Assistant Kitchen Manager will oversee all of these kitchen operations and ensure that we continue providing an exceptional guest experience. You will lead our team by supporting, motivating and educating each employee as well as creating a positive, customer-service oriented environment for our students, athletes, faculty, staff and visitors. We look forward to serving our guests and providing excellence in service, and expect that you will as well!
- Supervise staff to ensure they are following the standards set by USC Hospitality and the Health Department. Assign duties to staff on a daily and weekly basis using opening and closing checklists and/or weekly side work.
- Communicate changes from management to front line staff. Direct, guide, and motivate staff to achieve and meet the production and/or sales goals. Provide all staff with day-to-day goals and expectations. Train, guide, coach, and counsel employees. Conduct weekly meetings with staff members to discuss issues and concerns.
- Maintain a clear understanding of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Daily review of schedules to ensure lowest possible labor cost. Review and approve payroll.
- Participate in planning menus and plate presentation. Create recipes for new menus. Supervise and coordinate activities of food preparation. Ensure the par levels are correct and make adjustments based on volume.
- Cost out all specials and menu items to ensure proper budgeted food cost. Check waste logs and adjust pars accordingly to control food cost. Control food cost by spot checking portion sizes and ensuring quality products
- Take inventory on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. Order products through CBORD.
- Data entry for the cash office, financial report, and closing report. Input the sales into the DSR.
- Print out the daily menus. Email daily recaps to management.
- Help train staff on new products/LTOs. Ensure staff attends the required trainings. Assist with staff reviews. Assist with interviewing and hiring new culinary specialists.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Education: Specialized or technical training.
- Experience: 2 years.
- Experience in leadership role in high-volume, full-service kitchen environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pertinent local, federal, and state health and safety laws and regulations.
- Ability to supervise and train other workers.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
What We Prefer:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 3 years of experience.
- Knowledge of kitchen equipment and procedures.
- Budgeting experience.
The Trojan Family Rewards:
We pride ourselves in creating the BEST USC EXPERIENCE, and that begins with our employees! We offer a wide variety of benefits and programs that support our staff and their families including:
- Benefits: dental and vision plans, tuition assistance for our employees and their families, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, 2:1 retirement plan contributions, child care centers and up to $50,000 housing subsidy. And because we are a qualifying public service organization, you may qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) for educational loans. Don’t believe us? Visit benefits.usc.edu.
- Perks: discounts to USC sporting events, USC Bookstores, wireless plans, travel, accommodations, and local entertainment.
- Career Growth: We are the largest private employer in Los Angeles offering tremendous development opportunities in multiple fields and industries. The Trojan Network connects current and previous members of the Trojan family to create an endless professional network.
This support advocates work-life balance and employee well-being. As members of the Trojan family, employees are connected by the traditions and history that make us proud to be Trojans!
As an equal opportunity employer, USC values and promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. The work culture thrives on mutual respect, trust, and synergy amongst all of its members.
USC has great minds that transform the world with their talents and research. Will you be one? Join us!
Minimum Field of Expertise:
Two plus years experience in a leadership role within a high-volume, full service kitchen
environment. Strong track record of success in previous assignments demonstrating
upward career mobility. Demonstrated knowledge of pertinent local, federal and state
health and safety laws and regulations.
REQ20050226 Posted Date: 10/13/2017 Apply