"The University of Southern California is committed to excellence in teaching through strategies that foster the knowledge, skills, relationships, and values necessary for students to make real contributions in a rapidly changing world. USC is an equitable and diverse research university, and we recognize the many ways inclusivity strengthens our campus community. Our superb faculty have the exceptional responsibilities of creating new knowledge and instructing and guiding our passionate, hardworking student body" –Elizabeth Graddy, Interim Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
Associate Dean of Academic and Student Affairs - Associate Professor/ProfessorApply Administration Faculty Los Angeles, California
The University of Southern California School of Pharmacy, the top ranked private School of Pharmacy in the nation, invites applications and nominations for the position of Associate Dean of Academic and Student Affairs at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor, and as faculty within any of the academic departments of the School.
The USC School of Pharmacy providing cutting edge education to a new generation of pharmacists and scientists, seeks an experienced and talented administrator and educator for the senior position of Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs. Reporting to the Dean and requiring a terminal doctoral degree, with extensive experience preferably in health sciences education, this position will primarily service the educational and practical needs of the PharmD program and its approximately 800 students in the 4-year program. The Associate Dean will provide the vision and leadership to combine all aspects of student affairs with the related areas of academic performance and curriculum structure, assessment, and accreditation. Supported by assistant deans and an able staff and serving with related committees, general areas in student affairs include admissions, financial aid, advising, etc. The academic component continues to address student performance, curriculum development and review, accreditation, teaching and student assessment, and the wide spectrum of related issues. The successful Associate Dean will work collaboratively with the department chairs and other associate deans in the areas of faculty affairs, clinical affairs, and graduate education and research as part of the leadership team at the school.
The Associate Dean of Academic and Student Affairs has the following administrative responsibilities in the School:
• Oversight of the Offices of Admission that includes Financial Aid, Student Affairs, Career Counseling and related services, and incorporate essential components of diversity and inclusion efforts in recruitment and services.
• Maintain and enhance the Student Handbook and related policies that may benefit from revision (e.g. Student Honor Code) whether academic performance or behavioral.
• Handle all student behavioral and/or academic performance issues (students at risk) through the collaborative use of relevant committees, counseling, mentoring, student/faculty pairing, and other available university resources including (but not limited to) the USC Disability Services Programs.
• Implement and maintain the overarching USC structure for student affairs and the management of student related issues.
• Assess the stresses inherent in an intensive pharmacy education and work to incorporate wellness and support programs into the student experience.
• Serve on numerous committees, both advisory and mission-oriented, and serve on the various committees chaired by the Dean or as directed by the Dean.
• Manage and direct the curriculum committee to continually improve the delivery of an effective educational experience in a cohesive and coherent manner that best suits the educational landscape of a PharmD program and the physical facilities available.
• Provide oversight and/or direction to the various offices and committees within the domain of this position including (but not limited to) admissions, orientations, financial aid, scholarship standards, disciplinary processes, assessment, co-curricular and extracurricular engagement, Associated Students of the School of Pharmacy (ASSP), and so forth.
• Espouse active learning in all its forms.
• Develop and direct, with collaborative support from faculty, staff, and committees, an effective process for the assessment of teaching faculty, the student experience (and at- risk students), the relevance of curriculum, aforementioned student mentoring pairings (and tutoring), and related areas.
• Represent the school with the Interprofessional Education (IPE) opportunities and requirements.
• Manage the accreditation process with ACPE and other licensing organizations acting as liaison to the school’s professional associations.
• Seamlessly blend the student/faculty experience connecting lines between what is student affairs and what is academic affairs wherein at the very center is the student and their education and career.
• Take a leadership role in the development of the Biles Leadership Center (for support of students and career counseling).
Applicants must have a PhD, MD, PharmD, DRSc, EdD or another advanced degree. At least 5 years of experience in a similar or supporting role. Experience in a PharmD environment or a similar discipline with a rigorous academic landscape is preferred.
Applicants should have a record of accomplishment in scholarship, teaching, and service commensurate with academic appointment at the rank of associate professor or full professor at a one of the Departments of the School, depending on the assessed past professional and academic accomplishments.
Compensation and Benefits:
The University of Southern California offers a competitive salary within an academic environment based on the candidate’s experience, accomplishments, and faculty rank. The University also offers excellent benefits to employees, which include: health, dental and life insurance; tuition assistance; disability and retirement plans; credit union membership; and participation in cultural and social events, as well as access to athletic and recreational facilities.
For consideration, please apply online using the following link: https://usccareers.usc.edu. Interested individuals should electronically submit a letter of intent/personal statement, current curriculum vitae, and the names of 3 professional references and 2 personal references with current contact information. All screened applicants will be reviewed by the search committee, whose chair can be contacted for further information. Considered applicants will be invited to interview after further review by the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and the Dean. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Qualifications: Applicants must have a PhD, MD, PharmD, DRSc, EdD or another advanced degree. At least 5 years of experience in a similar or supporting role. Experience in a PharmD environment or a similar discipline with a rigorous academic landscape is preferred. Applicants should have a record of accomplishment in scholarship, teaching, and service commensurate with academic appointment at the rank of associate professor or full professor at a one of the Departments of the School, depending on the assessed past professional and academic accomplishments.
REQ20076940 Posted Date: 07/02/2019 Apply