At USC Auxiliary Services, our mission is to create the best USC experience for our students, faculty, staff, visitors and community members, as we provide services across our six business units (Hospitality, Housing, Transportation, Bookstores, Radisson Hotel and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum). Auxiliary Services works diligently to welcome all visitors into the Trojan family and we are driven to succeed by our commitment to USC’s core values. Our team is comprised of some of the very best people in our industries, with diverse backgrounds and experiences, who come together to provide the best products and best service for all Trojans.
Buyer II, Supplies and Convenience StoreApply USC Auxiliary Services - Executive Staff Auxiliary Services Los Angeles, California
Being part of the Trojan Family means belonging to an amazing international community that reaches beyond cities, industries, and time. Owned and operated by USC, the USC Bookstores embrace talent, nurture skills, and support ambition! A thriving retail organization with nine physical locations, a booming online presence, and over $35 million in annual sales, USC Bookstores are dedicated to creating the Best USC Experience. The Best USC Experience means outstanding customer service, excellent products, and a great place to work. We are committed to USC students, staff, faculty, and fans whether they’re on campus or on the other side of the planet. Do you want to be part of a team that encourages growth, creativity, and connects you to the long-term career that you’ve been looking for? Join the Trojan Family at USC Bookstores!
We are seeking a Buyer to join our rapidly growing Computer Store team.
As a Buyer II, you will be the first point of contact for our faculty and staff in need of merchandise and supplies. Your expertise will be critical for helping our customers make purchasing decisions and for negotiating with our vendors to ensure that we are receiving the highest quality product at the best price available. As you are in constant contact with vendors and customers, you will need to have excellent interpersonal and customer service skills. Every day brings a new challenge, and we try to greet each one with a smile!
- Advise all levels of faculty and/or staff regarding purchase and supply requirements, specifications, quantity and quality of merchandise, and delivery needs. Assist in obtaining proper specifications, quotations, delivery terms and costs. Recommend alternatives to save money or improve delivery.
- Solicit and analyze quotations for new or nonstandard items. Recommend or approve awarding of contracts or purchase orders. Place purchase orders based on assigned authorization or signing limit.
- Surveys vendors regarding pricing, availability and delivery times to determine best and/or possible new supply sources.
- Perform year-end review of maintenance contracts, standard contract items, and licensing agreements for renewal or renegotiation. Negotiate contracts and price agreements to enhance cost savings and quality of service.
- Bid and negotiate long-term contracts of unlimited amounts for repetitively purchased items.
- Research and resolve problems with vendors and university departments to facilitate the purchasing process.
- Ensure purchases comply with internal and external requirements and regulations as well as good purchasing practice. Provide information to faculty and staff on government restrictions and regulations and university policy and procedures related to purchasing.
- Maintain proficiency automated systems used for various purchasing functions such as vendor contract database and cost control and bid analysis programs.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Education: Associate’s Degree.
- Experience: 2 years.
- Strong knowledge of technology purchasing.
- Experience in a high-volume, fast-paced retail environment.
- Demonstrated customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English.
- Presents oneself professionally, in line with higher education environment.
What We Prefer:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 3 years of experience in purchasing.
- Knowledge of applicable laws, policies, and principles.
- Ability to oversee student, temporary, and/or resource workers.
The Trojan Family Rewards:
We pride ourselves in creating the BEST USC EXPERIENCE, and that begins with our employees! We offer a wide variety of benefits and programs that support our staff and their families including:
- Benefits: dental and vision plans, tuition assistance for our employees and their families, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, 2:1 retirement plan contributions, child care centers and up to $50,000 housing subsidy. And because we are a qualifying public service organization, you may qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) for educational loans. Don’t believe us? Visit benefits.usc.edu.
- Perks: discounts to USC sporting events, USC Bookstores, wireless plans, travel, accommodations, and local entertainment.
- Career Growth: We are the largest private employer in Los Angeles offering tremendous development opportunities in multiple fields and industries. The Trojan Network connects current and previous members of the Trojan family to create an endless professional network.
This support advocates work-life balance and employee well-being. As members of the Trojan family, employees are connected by the traditions and history that make us proud to be Trojans!
As an equal opportunity employer, USC values and promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. The work culture thrives on mutual respect, trust, and synergy amongst all of its members.
USC has great minds that transform the world with their talents and research. Will you be one? Join us!
Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Field of Expertise:
Strong knowledge of specialized field of purchasing
REQ20069862 Posted Date: 01/25/2019 Apply