Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Career AdvisorApply Leonard Davis School of Gerontology Los Angeles, California
The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is located in the heart of downtown L.A. and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the “Trojan Family,” which is comprised of the faculty, students, and staff that make the university what it is.
The USC Leonard Davis School of Gerontology is seeking a Career Advisor with strong leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills to join its Student Services team! This position’s primary responsibility is to facilitate the necessary career development/job readiness of graduates for the Leonard Davis School of Gerontology. Advises or counsels students regarding career issues and strategies, job search methods, resume' preparation, internships, job placement, and related matters. Determines counseling needs and develops action plans accordingly. The focus of this position is to develop and maintain relationships with potential employers and our alumni/alumnae and maintaining records/metrics on the career success of our alumni/alumnae. This position reports directly to the Sr. Associate Dean and is part of the Student Services team.
- Work closely with graduates of assigned program(s) to assist with post-graduation job search: develop leads, conduct follow-up.
- Assist in preparation of students for after graduation employment
- Conduct Exit Interviews and Needs Assessment meetings with students to assist with career advisement efforts and tracking
- Maintain regular and consistent contact with graduates. Properly documents contact for record-keeping and metrics purposes.
- Educate graduates on job search techniques, job market trends, and professional etiquette; provide guidance and assistance as needed
- Develop and maintain relationships with employers for the purposes of externship job leads and job placement of graduates
- Consistently develop job leads that result in the placement of campus graduates
- Provide exceptional customer service to students, employers, graduates, alumni, faculty, and staff
- Generates reports with stats regarding the career success of our graduates
- Assists in the preparation of communications materials promoting admissions programs and activities, e.g., newsletters, bulletins, fact sheets, and brochures.
- May supervise student workers
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
The Successful Candidate
Will have experience with the development of processes and procedures in the career advising field. Must have experience in the field of Gerontology, the field of aging (i.e. Senior Living and aging programs). Must possess experience in counseling and academic advisement, is a self-starter, team player, has an outgoing personality, great organizational and time management skills, and is able to work with minimal supervision.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in Counseling, Education, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public administration, business administration, or job-related field. Ideally, we would like 15+ years of professional experience in career coaching/advising,
- 15+ years of directly related experience in career advisement.
- Must have a strong understanding of relevant university policy, including national standards and practices in relevant areas.
- Demonstrated experience with problem identification and conflict resolution.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
- Strong written and communication skills.
- Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with clients, students, staff, and faculty.
- Demonstrated strong personal mastery, including ethics, interpersonal skills, and engage in continuous learning.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, adjust to changing priorities, and performing well under pressure.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, extreme attention to detail, and ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Benefits include a competitive salary, a rich array of USC benefits including healthcare (including dental and vision), 403(b), tuition reimbursement, national holidays, paid vacation, and more. This is a full-time non-exempt position that will require substantial commitment and flexibility.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance.
If you are interested, please submit your completed application and include a cover letter and resume with professional references. Only completed applications will be considered. Thank you for your interest!
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree Minimum Experience: 1 year Minimum Field of Expertise: Related education and experience in counseling and career services and advisement.
REQ20085367 Posted Date: 10/24/2021 Apply