Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $5 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Career Services AdvisorApply Undergraduate Student Career Services Los Angeles, California
The Marshall Undergraduate Career Services Office is looking for an experienced Career Services Advisor to manage relationships with/between multiple constituencies (employers, students, alumni, faculty, staff, and administration) in a mutually beneficial career advisement and educational capacity. This position serves as a career advisor for students, and as a resource for employers wanting to expand their presence within the Marshall School of Business. The position reports to the Associate Director of Marshall Undergraduate Career Advising.
The Marshall Undergraduate Career Services Office provides co-curricular programming for students in the areas of career advisement and professional and leadership development. The office serves an undergraduate population of approximately 4,000 business majors and 1,000 business minors and is a resource for both students and employers. The office also provides a range of programs and services such as advisement, career exploration, and interview and recruitment preparation with a focus on domestic and international internships and full-time job opportunities across a variety of functions and industries.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Advises students regarding career issues and strategies, internship search methods, resume preparation and related matters; determines career advising needs of both individuals and student groups and develops action plans accordingly
- Generates and cultivates relationships with corporate recruiters and other company representatives to develop internship and full-time job opportunities for Marshall students; tracks employer contacts through CRM system (Salesforce)
- Serves as a consultative thought partner for a wide range of employers to support their unique recruitment strategies based on the company’s needs and target student populations
- Plans and teaches student workshops and seminars covering pertinent topics such as career exploration, resume building, recruitment preparation, interview techniques, job searching, etc.
- Plans and executes career development programming and initiatives, such as large-scale recruiting events, a career conference, internship programs, local and domestic US industry treks, and alumni mixers
- Recruits, hires, trains and monitors hours and budget for established peer advising program (i.e., supervises specialized student workers)
- Engages with Marshall student organizations regarding career programming and employer contacts that will benefit members
- Manages a variety of student and employer event assessments to determine effectiveness; gathers data on level of student engagement with career services programs and events
- Regularly uses a career management software system (Symplicity), which is Marshall’s branded online tool for job and internship searching, career assistance and resources, recruiting events, and announcements
- Collaborates with Academic Advising staff members in the Student Services Office with programming and events; liaises with the USC Career Center and other campus career centers
- Gathers financial data and assists in budget development; monitors assigned program expenses
- Attends professional meetings to stay current on career and employment trends and to ensure the University maintains a presence in the recruitment community; maintains awareness of hiring trends
- Assists the Associate Director and Director as needed in strategic goal-setting and process development
The Successful Candidate
The successful candidate will be an experienced and organized professional who can effectively balance multiple stakeholders while demonstrating strong program and project management skills. S/he will be flexible and adaptable in the face of changing priorities and fluctuating workloads. In addition, the successful candidate will be an excellent communicator and will have the ability to build collaborative relationships within and outside USC Marshall.
- Preferred Education: Master’s degree
- 4+ years combined experience in corporate and higher education settings
- Prior experience working with undergraduate students
- Prior experience supervising and training staff or student workers
- Experience working within database systems
- Experience in financial services, technology, or data analytics highly preferred
- Demonstrated experience developing and delivering presentations for large groups
- Experience with large-scale event planning and execution
- Strong program/project management skills
- Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree
- Minimum Experience: 1 year
- Minimum Field of Expertise: Related education and experience in counseling and career services and advisement.
Required Documents and Additional Information
- Resume and cover letter required. Please do not submit your application without these documents.
- Job openings are posted for a minimum of five calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended, so please apply on the same business day if interested.
- USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for staff and their family with access to the renowned university medical network; eligibility for retirement plans with employer contributions after six months of employment; tuition benefits for staff and their family; free Professional Development classes; central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, buses and free tram pick up services; discounts to sporting and other campus events.
- The University of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer that Values Diversity.
Why join the USC Marshall School of Business?
The USC Marshall School of Business is ideally positioned to address the challenges of a rapidly changing business environment and is ranked as one of the country’s top schools for accounting, finance, marketing, consulting, entrepreneurship and international business studies.
USC Marshall builds on the unique opportunities that stem from its Los Angeles location on the Pacific Rim, its interdisciplinary and impactful research, the momentum generated by the University of Southern California, and the unparalleled engagement of the Trojan Alumni Family. With ready access to industries defining the new business frontier, including bio-technology, life sciences, media, entertainment, communications and healthcare, this vast network offers USC Marshall graduates exceptionally strong support for success in the global marketplace.
For more information on the USC Marshall School of Business, visit: www.marshall.usc.edu.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree
Minimum Experience: 1 year
Minimum Field of Expertise: Related education and experience in counseling and career services and advisement.
REQ20062066 Posted Date: 07/11/2018 Apply