Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $5 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Costume Technician IApply Costume Shop Los Angeles, California
The USC School of Dramatic Arts seeks an experienced and energetic Costume Technician I with knowledge in a wide variety of costume construction techniques to join its team in January of 2018. This position will construct costumes and accessories for productions, provide costume and wardrobe services, and use varying methods of sewing and dyeing in preparing fabric and accessories.
This is a 10-month position (August-May) with an anticipated work schedule from 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Occasional overtime is required to meet the demands of our production season.
The qualified candidate has excellent customer service skills, the ability to distill and convey information to multiple audiences (administrators, students, faculty, staff), as well as work in a diverse environment including interpersonal and formal large-group settings. In addition, the candidate is an outstanding communicator (both oral and written), with excellent organizational skills and superb attention to detail.
The preferred candidate will show a history of success in setting goals and completing projects with a high degree of independence - while exercising good judgment and discretion in dealing with sensitive matters - the successful candidate will work well under pressure and multi-task in a fast-paced environment, especially during peak times of the year.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Constructs costumes and accessories as assigned - dyes and prepares fabric, cuts, drapes, stitches, fits, tailors, finishes, decorates, distresses, etc., as assigned.
- Takes and records actors' measurements according to accepted practices. Maintains information files for future reference.
- Drafts patterns, cuts paper and/or muslin patterns, as appropriate to costume designs.
- Alters, cleans, maintains, repairs and stores costumes, as assigned
- Assists in guiding and instructing students in correct costuming techniques.
- Assists in proper maintenance of costume shop and equipment. Takes inventory of supplies, as needed.
- Provides other costuming and wardrobe services, as assigned.
- Maintains contacts with costume departments at other colleges and universities and with professional theatres, costume rental companies, vendors and suppliers, as well as freelance stitchers, drapers and cutters.
- Occasionally shops for fabrics, articles of clothing, accessories, equipment, supplies and other items required for costumes.
- Supervises students, temporary and casual workers as needed.
Qualifications and Skills
- Requires ability to operate professional sewing, serging (overlocking), cleaning, dyeing and pressing equipment.
- Additional experience in construction of masks, stage armor, heraldry, millinery, wigs, jewelry, gloves, footwear, is useful.
- Ability to work on ladders and carry costumes and carry bolts of fabric are required.
- Visual acuity and manual dexterity are essential.
- Computer proficiency (MS Office, Outlook, and Internet).
The University reserves the right to add or change responsibilities at any time USC School of Dramatic Arts, founded in 1945, is recognized internationally as a leader in theatre education. The School offers innovated programs and curricula in acting, playwriting, design, critical studies, sound design, stage management and technical direction. With a faculty of artists working at the highest level of their profession, the School offers BA, BFA and MFA degrees and has an active production program of more than 20 shows with a population of 550 undergraduate and graduate students combined.
The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is located in the heart of downtown L.A. and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the “Trojan Family,” which is comprised of the faculty, students and staff that make the university what it is.
USC is proudly pluralistic and committed to providing equal opportunity for outstanding men and women. USC actively seeks nominations of applications from qualified individuals and from broadest possible community. The School of Dramatic Arts is interested in receiving applications from individuals who enhance the diversity of its work force.
The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
Minimum Education: Associate's degree, Specialized/technical training, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 1 year, Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience
Minimum Field of Expertise: Practical experience in costume construction
REQ20053525 Posted Date: 12/01/2017 - Thru date - 1/5/2018 Apply