Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Curriculum CoordinatorApply Viterbi School of Engineering Los Angeles, California
The Curriculum Coordinator is responsible for the Viterbi School of Engineering’s curriculum development and approval process. This includes primary responsibility for defining and executing the School-level procedures for clearing curriculum proposals originating in departments or elsewhere in the School for submission to the University, and organizing from within the School responses to curriculum proposals originating elsewhere in the University outside the School and likely affecting the School’s programs. The position serves as a deep authority and resource for the academic departments and the Dean’s Office with respect to the organization, completeness and efficacy of curriculum proposals, and serves as academic staff for the Engineering Curriculum Committee (ECC). In addition, the position supports ABET accreditation activities. This is a part-time position (50%) reporting to the Vice Dean for Academic Programs.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Primary point of contact for the University Curriculum Coordination Office for all matters relating to the School’s curriculum, serving as the Dean’s Designee to submit curriculum proposals on the behalf of the School.
- Primary point of contact for other USC Schools seeking review of new curriculum proposals that affect academic Departments and programs in the School.
- Primary point of contact for University Office of Communications for all matters relating to the printed and online USC Catalogue.
- Primary point of contact for the administration of the senior exit review process
- Secondary point of contact as needed for related matters involving the Office of the Registrar, the USC Information Technology Services Global Directory Service, and any other similarly relevant University units.
- Exercises authority to return curriculum proposals (regular and special topics courses) back to Viterbi School Departments and Programs with feedback to ensure accuracy, clarity and completeness prior to subsequent review by ECC members and prior to placing them on the agenda for the Engineering Curriculum Committee. Exercises the authority to process curriculum requests on an administrative basis without formal committee action if these requests are of sufficiently limited scope and relevance School-wide.
- Provides staff support to the Engineering Curriculum Committee (ECC) including meeting scheduling, room reservation, catering, creation/assembly/distribution of agenda and handouts, taking and distributing meeting minutes, and maintaining associated email lists.
- Supports the pre-ECC review process, including distributing proposals to ECC representatives and acting on their feedback/recommendations to move the proposal forward or return it for revisions.
- Supports School-level efforts related to ABET and WASC accreditation processes and procedures.
- Works with the Departments and the Dean’s Office to ensure the academic material on their websites is up-to-date and consistent with the USC Catalogue. Alerts the Department Chairs or their designees to obsolete or confusing information, and promotes sharing of best practices across Departments.
- Works with individual Departments and Programs to implement ABET assessment strategies with respect to AEFIS or equivalent tools.
- Other activities and responsibilities pertaining to the quality and reputation of the School’s Departments and programs as assigned by the Dean, the Executive Vice Dean, or the Vice Dean for Academic Programs. Assists the Deans as needed.
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 2 years of experience in a related field is required. A master’s degree is preferred.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills. Excellent editing skills and attention to detail in evaluating written documents.
- Demonstrable strong data manipulation experience. Skilled Excel and database user.
- Skilled user of the USC Curriculum Management System (CMS) is preferred.
- Skilled user of the School’s Content Management System (CMS) for web site content maintenance and updates is preferred.
- Skilled user of Qualtrics survey software is preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse constituency of students, faculty, vice and associate deans, academic advisors and administrative staff.
- Well organized with excellent follow through and good ability to anticipate problems and complications in an organization.
- Knowledge of curriculum development, syllabus design, and assessing learning outcomes are preferred.
- Creative and strategic thinker regarding programmatic offerings and academic service, with the skills to implement and manage multiple, on-going projects.
- Knowledge of USC student and academic programs, policies and procedures is strongly preferred; knowledge of Viterbi School operations is preferred.
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's Degree Minimum Experience: 2 years Minimum Field of Expertise: Thorough knowledge of University policies, curricula and academic stucture and proven administrative skills.
REQ20096389 Posted Date: 01/10/2021 Apply