Information Technology Services
At Information Technology Services, our goal is to be the university's trusted business partner by creating a culture of exceptional customer service. Bringing together a team of diverse and talented professionals, we provide the central IT services that support USC's schools, hospitals, research centers, and administrative units. Through our recently launched digital transformation initiatives, we aim to develop an environment of continuous service improvement, founded on cross-functional teamwork, industry best practices, innovation, and commitment to the customer experience.
Data Center AnalystApply Infrastructure Services ITS Los Angeles, California
The University of Southern California’s (USC’s) Information Technology Services is seeking a talented Data Center Analyst with an exceptional commitment to service excellence to join its team. As the Data Center Analyst, you will be an integral member of the Data Center Operations and Disaster Recovery team, collaborating with diverse and talented team members to help solve multidimensional information technology problems, improve customer experience, and generate value for our campus stakeholders across a broad base of departments and constituencies.
ITS has embarked on a major digital transformation initiative to continually improve services for faculty, staff, and students in support of USC’s ascent as a leading institution of higher education. The ITS vision aligns strategy, business, and services; affirms ITS cultural values; empowers cross-functional teamwork; embraces world-class best practices; and promotes innovation, excellence, agility, and efficiency. To achieve this vision, ITS is committed to providing a modern technology infrastructure that is resilient and delivers the performance necessary to meet the demands of a growing customer base, training in the latest technologies for its highly productive and motivated workforce, outstanding customer experience, and technology services that are aligned with the university’s mission to provide exceptional learning opportunities for students. ITS is creating a workplace where employees can develop cutting-edge skills, take pride in the services they provide, and have access to the roles and career paths that align to their abilities and potential.
We are looking for top talent to join us on our journey.
USC’s ITS organization represents a diverse and talented team, committed to supporting a collaborative culture and delivering secure and innovative IT services, core to the mission of USC. ITS values accountability, excellence, and commitment to exceptional customer experience. ITS strives for a supportive and inclusive culture that encourages employees to do their best work every day and where individuals are recognized and celebrated for their contributions.
USC is the leading private research university in Los Angeles—a global center for arts, technology, and international business. With more than 47,500 students, we are located primarily in Los Angeles but also in various US and global satellite locations. As the largest private employer in Los Angeles, responsible for $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic and professional schools and administrative units. As a USC employee and member of the Trojan Family—the faculty, staff, students, and alumni who make USC a great place to work—you will enjoy excellent benefits, including a variety of well-being programs designed to help individuals achieve work-life balance.
Come join the ITS team and work as a trusted partner in shaping an environment of innovation and excellence for the university.
The candidate for the position of Data Center Analyst must meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as computer science, engineering, computer information systems, etc., or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Two years of experience in information technology or data center operations.
- Experience with on-premise hosting and colocation.
- Experience with problem research and resolution in relation to complex technical issues and remote troubleshooting.
- Experience and understanding of UPS systems, HVAC systems, and other physical infrastructure associated with temperature control and power systems.
- Knowledge of safety policies, practices, and procedures pertaining to data center operations.
- Strong business acumen and ability to partner with senior leadership.
- Flexible, able to work during non-business hours, and/or available to assist with emergencies during holiday or weekend hours, as needed.
- Experience with network, data center, email, or other enterprise-wide technology consolidations.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships and a strong rapport with team members.
The ideal candidate for the position of Data Center Analyst has the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as computer science, computer engineering, computer information systems, etc.
- More than four years of experience in information technology or data center operations.
- Hands on experience Infrastructure and Application monitoring tools
- Programming and scripting experience is a big plus
THE WORK YOU WILL DO
The Data Center Analyst provides day-to-day support for ITS data center operations and delivers reliable and consistent service to a broad range of customers, partners, and key stakeholders from academic and administrative units. The Data Center Analyst collects and documents requirements and assembles network and computer hardware. The role also involves supporting the planning, implementation, security, maintenance, and repair of data center equipment. As a member of ITS, the Data Center Analyst demonstrates ITS values in action.
The Data Center Analyst:
- Collaborates with key stakeholders across the organization to accurately collect and document requirements. Works with vendors to assist with support activities and ensure data center equipment, power, space, and bandwidth meet the needs of a broad range of customers, partners, and key stakeholders from administrative and academic units. Communicates positively and effectively with others and shares information freely and openly across the organization.
- Supports data center operations by assembling computer hardware within ITS computer racks. Ensures compliance with policies and procedures and provides front-line troubleshooting when disruptions occur.
- Maintains a reliable and secure environment by closely monitoring temperature control and power systems. Prepares detailed logs and creates performance reports to ensure visibility.
- Creates and maintains diagrams, draws schematics, and documents data center equipment, including serial numbers, asset tags, location, power, and wiring connections. Maintains adequate parts inventory and orders items as necessary. Executes equipment audits and record-taking policies. Facilitates innovation and continuous improvement by leveraging the latest industry knowledge.
- Keeps current with new server, storage, and network technologies by continually developing skills, knowledge, and abilities in these areas. Maintains awareness of new fiber and copper wiring and optical modules and makes recommendations on adoption where relevant. Monitors computing resource performance, manages configurations, addresses security administration, supports maintenance, and repairs system firmware and software. Supports the development of business continuity and disaster recovery (BC/DR) strategies by working closely with department leaders and providing data center insight and expertise.
- Understands and utilizes ITS processes and procedures to effectively troubleshoot and solve problems. Analyzes highly complex data sets to identify root causes. Makes sound decisions to benefit the business.
- Contributes to an inclusive environment that values differences by building and maintaining collaborative relationships with team members, peers, and ITS leaders. Actively embodies ITS values and behaviors including accountability, ethics, and best-in-class customer service. Contributes to a culture of trust and transparency by sharing information broadly, openly, and deliberately.
- Supports the vision for Data Center Operations and Disaster Recovery. Works closely with team members and management to implement and support effective solutions for data center operations. Maintains currency with technology, standards, and best practices. Supports process improvement efforts within the team and across ITS.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS The candidate for the position of Data Center Analyst must meet the following qualifications: • Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as computer science, engineering, computer information systems, etc., or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. • Two years of experience in information technology or data center operations. • Experience with on-premise hosting and colocation. • Experience with problem research and resolution in relation to complex technical issues and remote troubleshooting. • Experience and understanding of UPS systems, HVAC systems, and other physical infrastructure associated with temperature control and power systems. • Knowledge of safety policies, practices, and procedures pertaining to data center operations. • Strong business acumen and ability to partner with senior leadership. • Flexible, able to work during non-business hours, and/or available to assist with emergencies during holiday or weekend hours, as needed. • Experience with network, data center, email, or other enterprise-wide technology consolidations. • Ability to develop positive working relationships and a strong rapport with team members.
REQ20197010 Posted Date: 10/26/2020 Apply