Information Technology Services
At Information Technology Services, our goal is to be the university's trusted business partner by creating a culture of exceptional customer service. Bringing together a team of diverse and talented professionals, we provide the central IT services that support USC's schools, hospitals, research centers, and administrative units. Through our recently launched digital transformation initiatives, we aim to develop an environment of continuous service improvement, founded on cross-functional teamwork, industry best practices, innovation, and commitment to the customer experience.
Database AdministratorApply Infrastructure Services ITS Los Angeles, California
The University of Southern California’s (USC’s) Information Technology Services is seeking a talented Database Administrator with an exceptional commitment to service excellence to join its team. As the Database Administrator, you will be an integral member of the Platform Services team, collaborating with diverse and talented team members to help solve multidimensional information technology problems, improve customer experience, and generate value for our campus stakeholders across a broad base of departments and constituencies.
ITS has embarked on a major digital transformation initiative to continually improve services for faculty, staff, and students in support of USC’s ascent as a leading institution of higher education. The ITS vision aligns strategy, business, and services; affirms ITS cultural values; empowers cross-functional teamwork; embraces world-class best practices; and promotes innovation, excellence, agility, and efficiency. To achieve this vision, ITS is committed to providing a modern technology infrastructure that is resilient and delivers the performance necessary to meet the demands of a growing customer base, training in the latest technologies for its highly productive and motivated workforce, outstanding customer experience, and technology services that are aligned with the university’s mission to provide exceptional learning opportunities for students. ITS is creating a workplace where employees can develop cutting-edge skills, take pride in the services they provide, and have access to the roles and career paths that align to their abilities and potential.
We are looking for top talent to join us on our journey.
USC’s ITS organization represents a diverse and talented team, committed to supporting a collaborative culture and delivering secure and innovative IT services, core to the mission of USC. ITS values accountability, excellence, and commitment to exceptional customer experience. ITS strives for a supportive and inclusive culture that encourages employees to do their best work every day and where individuals are recognized and celebrated for their contributions.
USC is the leading private research university in Los Angeles—a global center for arts, technology, and international business. With more than 47,500 students, we are located primarily in Los Angeles but also in various US and global satellite locations. As the largest private employer in Los Angeles, responsible for $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic and professional schools and administrative units. As a USC employee and member of the Trojan Family—the faculty, staff, students, and alumni who make USC a great place to work—you will enjoy excellent benefits, including a variety of well-being programs designed to help individuals achieve work-life balance.
Come join the ITS team and work as a trusted partner in shaping an environment of innovation and excellence for the university.
The candidate for the position of Database Administrator must meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as computer science, computer information systems, etc., or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Minimum of two years of experience in information technology, database architecture, or software development.
- Advanced skills in data modeling and translation of the model into a high-performance physical database design.
- Fluent proficiency in SQL optimization.
- Extensive expertise in database technologies such as Oracle, MS SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Access, SimpleDB, and cloud database services.
- Strong knowledge and experience with database security practices, backup and recovery standards, and performance monitoring solutions.
- Experience with Linux/Unix and Windows system administration.
- Strong skills in PowerShell and Unix shell scripting.
- Experience with large design efforts working in cross-functional project teams.
- Demonstrated architecture experience creating a high-volume database for enterprise-grade solutions.
- Understanding of the attributes and processes of current application development methodologies.
- Knowledge of virtualization techniques and technologies to facilitate the development of highly scalable, multi-tenant SaaS offerings.
- Ability to interpret, analyze, and apply pertinent service level agreements, policies, procedures, regulations, and other requirements, and turn them into actionable outcomes.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to interact with a diverse community of colleagues and stakeholders.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships and a strong rapport with team members.
The ideal candidate for the position of Database Administrator has the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as computer science, computer information systems, etc.
- More than four years of experience in information technology, database architecture, or software development.
THE WORK YOU WILL DO
The Database Administrator supports the design, creation, optimization, and maintenance of ITS databases. The Database Administrator collaborates with a broad range of customers, partners, and key stakeholders in administrative and academic units to provide best-in-class database services, profile application workloads, identify application and infrastructure interdependencies, and support the seamless delivery of a secure database environment. As a member of ITS, the Database Administrator demonstrates ITS values in action.
The Database Administrator:
- Works with stakeholders across the organization, including vendor partners, to deliver excellence in database services. Communicates positively and effectively with others.
- Maintains best-in-class database standards and naming conventions by developing and updating policies and operating procedures. Supports database operations, backup, recovery, design, and performance tuning by working closely with ITS technical and business teams.
- Seeks to understand customers’ needs. Provides troubleshooting support for issues escalated by the Customer Experience team. Develops and maintains tutorials and training resources.
- Facilitates innovation and continuous improvement by leveraging the latest industry knowledge for database technology and information storage. Experiments with new and innovative ideas.
- Keeps current with new database technologies. Develops skills, knowledge, and abilities in database technologies. Maintains awareness of emerging technologies and makes recommendations for implementation and adoption.
- Understands and utilizes best practices to effectively troubleshoot and solve problems. Analyzes highly complex, sometimes diverse and conflicting data and organizes it in a logical narrative. Identifies the root causes of incidents and problems. Makes sound decisions to benefit the organization.
- Contributes to an inclusive environment that values differences by building and maintaining collaborative relationships with team members, peers, and ITS leaders. Actively embodies ITS values and behaviors, including accountability, ethics, and best-in-class customer service. Contributes to a culture of trust and transparency by sharing information broadly, openly, and deliberately.
- Supports the vision for Platform Services. Works closely with team members and management to implement and support effective solutions for database administration. Maintains currency with technology, standards, and best practices. Supports process improvement efforts within the team and across ITS.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
REQ20194021 Posted Date: 04/03/2019 Apply