Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Digital Imaging SpecialistApply Library IT Los Angeles, California
The University of Southern California (USC) Libraries seek a Digital Imaging Specialist to join the Digital Library Team to digitize negatives from the Dick Whittington Collection, historic photographs of Los Angeles taken in the late 1930s – 1940s. The Digital Imaging Specialist position is a Fixed-Term staff position for one (1) year funded by a grant from National Historic Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
The Digital Imaging Specialist will use camera-based capture to digitize negatives from the Whittington Collection and be responsible for post-processing, quality control and digital asset management for those images. The Imaging Specialist provides support, assistance and advice in the use of digitization equipment and software to faculty, staff and students; has responsibility for hands-on digitization and post-processing of a range of materials and documents using various technologies and techniques; coordinates work-flow processes and quality control for production work on assigned projects; performs routine maintenance on various systems and equipment such as cameras, lighting systems, computers and digitization equipment, and supervises student workers, as assigned.
THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
The University of Southern California is one of the world’s leading private research universities. An anchor institution in Los Angeles, USC has a large number of international students and offers extensive opportunities for internships and study abroad. With a strong tradition of integrating liberal and professional education, USC fosters a vibrant culture of public service and encourages students to cross academic as well as geographic boundaries in their pursuit of knowledge.
The USC Libraries actively support the discovery, creation, and preservation of knowledge. We develop collections and services that support and encourage the academic endeavors of faculty, students, and staff; build a community of critical consumers of information; and help develop engaged world citizens. Through these means, we contribute to the continued success of the University of Southern California. The USC Libraries includes the Doheny Memorial Library and fourteen specialized libraries with an operating budget of approximately $41 million. Library collections encompass over 4.2 million volumes, 5.9 million microforms, 3.1 million images, 49,300 linear feet of manuscripts and archives, with access to over 113,800 serials in print and electronic formats, over 1,650 datasets, and nearly 1.3 million e-books. For more information, visit libraries.usc.edu.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Digital Imaging Specialist:
•Performs digital imaging production work for digitization projects such as hands-on digitization, post-processing, quality control and digital asset management
• Supervises student workers, as assigned. Recruits, hires, trains and orients student workers. Schedules, assigns, and prioritizes workloads. Monitors and evaluates performance and provides guidance and feedback to assigned staff
• Coordinates work-flow processes for digitization projects involving original materials such as photographs and photo-negatives, rare books and ephemera, manuscripts, 16mm and 35mm moving film, various audio and video formats, or other kinds of original materials
• Performs routine maintenance on various systems and equipment such as cameras, lighting systems, computers and digitization equipment. Installs and troubleshoots software and hardware equipment
• Researches, assesses and recommends specialized equipment purchases and hardware installations and modifications, as requested
• Participates in development and documentation of internal operating policies and procedures. Assists in development and dissemination of policies and procedures for users. Provides interpretation as required
• Stays informed of new developments and technologies by reading journals and other pertinent publications, maintaining contact with vendors, and participating in professional organizations, meetings and seminars.
• Develops and implements security related procedures such as office opening and closing routines, recognition of duress signals and key controls. Coordinates security activities with University Public Safety Department. Promotes and maintains standards for security conscious awareness and behavior. Maintains knowledge of university's crime prevention and suppression programs and services. Ensures dissemination of security related information to staff.
USC is an equal-opportunity educator and employer, proudly pluralistic and firmly committed to providing equal opportunity for outstanding persons of every race, gender, creed, and background. The university particularly encourages members of underrepresented groups, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply. USC will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship. Further information is available by contacting email@example.com
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience: 2 years, Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience Minimum Field of Expertise: Working knowledge of digital imaging tools, techniques and processes. Working knowledge of computers, data entry, scanning tools and techniques. Familiar with use of Laserfiche or other scanning software.
REQ20079187 Posted Date: 08/27/2019 Apply