Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Director, Digital TechnologyApply KUSC Los Angeles, California
Director, Digital Technology
USC Radio Group (KUSC/KDFC)
The USC Radio Group is seeking a Director, Digital Technology.
Are you excited about the opportunities facing the music industry as we develop new services and engage new audiences with new technology?
The USC Radio Group has 10 FM stations and a robust digital presence in Southern California and the Bay area, providing the only classical music service for 1.3 million weekly listeners via KUSC and KDFC. KUSC is the largest and most listened to classical station in the country and is located in downtown Los Angeles. KDFC is located in downtown San Francisco. The stations are licensed to the University of Southern California (USC), one of the leading research universities in the nation with an admirable commitment to classical music and the arts.
With years of success behind us, we are ambitious about our future and are searching for an individual who can lead us in new directions with technological expertise and vision.
The Director, Digital Technology is a leader crucial to the long-term success and sustainability of the USC Radio Group. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer s/he is a key leader who serves in a multidisciplinary role to oversee and drive the strategy, development, and operations of web, app, social, and cloud based digital platforms. S/he will lead the way as we enter a new phase of digital growth for the USC Radio Group, contributing to our strategic and budgetary planning processes, and managing all aspects of “digital” for the stations in the group. S/he is on top of the latest media and digital technology trends, and understands the systems and processes related to digital product development in the media space. The Director, Digital Technology is able to offer insights on listener/member behavior and recommend progressive approaches and solutions that meet the needs of our current and future constituencies.
The major responsibilities and duties of this job include:
- Manages a team of internal and external resources with various specialties in digital product strategy, development, and operations.
- iPhone developer - App
- Android developer - App
- Website development [Wordpress]
- Back End Engineer [Database and/or from mobile app to servers]
- Technical Project Manager
- SCRUM Project Manager [code]
- Art Director – design products; continuity between platforms
- Develops and manages the technical requirements for all digital assets including websites, phone/watch/car apps, streaming services, social media platforms, and social video capture for the organization with an emphasis on digital growth and a responsibility to build and sustain digital capacity within the USC Radio Group.
- Monitors digital and tech trends, evaluates new digital products and tech platforms, recommends and oversees potential pilots, and understands future trends.
- Oversees and manages all day-to-day digital operations, ensuring quality products and troubleshoots multiple technology challenges in the back-office service platforms.
- Prepares comprehensive project scoping and budget planning to provide the CTO with realistic options for digital and new media project decisions.
- Evaluates the cost and efficiency of in-sourcing and out-sourcing key engineering and software development work.
- Understands vendor and contractor contracts, measures performance to contract, manages relationships with external technology vendors and service providers.
- Oversees growing organizational investment in digital technology and platforms.
- Provides ongoing day-to-day tracking of the agile project management lifecycles in collaboration with multiple contractor teams (via Scrum software) to deliver on products in development.
- Ensures that all dev environments adhere to internal and USC code control, access management, and USC security policies and protocols to achieve performance reliability across different platforms.
- Manages Cloud-based infrastructure to support the USCRG’s databases, storage, servers, and services that support web-based products.
- Oversees the UIX art director and specialized platform designers for consumer-focused web and mobile applications.
- Oversees the code quality and integrity, including hands-on coding as needed for the web and mobile developers. (includes both iOS and Android apps)
- Oversees server-side developers code quality and integrity, including hands-on coding as needed to ensure the reliability and quality of our web services which support our web and mobile apps.
- In Support of Content
- Generates, presents, and analyzes data for the purposes of providing content experts with key insights for decision making and reporting needs and/or requirements.
- Supports content team with technical needs before/during/after events.
- In Support of Membership
- Supports and enhances technologies for membership fundraising, including text-to-give, website giving, etc.
- Strategize about and deploy next generation social/digital fundraising technologies.
- Ensures digital technologies are operating smoothly during station pledge drives and supports digital content team and membership team with their pledge drive related content.
- Provides regular metrics on the performance of digital/social fundraising technologies.
Skills and Competencies
Key knowledge and skills required to perform in this role include:
- 5+ years of software engineering experience with proven examples of overseeing the web, mobile, and cloud-based development lifecycle.
- Must be familiar with:
- Server-side software languages such as NodeJS.
- Web technologies such as HTML5, PHP, jQuery and CSS2.
- Mobile app technologies including xCode/Swift and Android Studio/Kotlin
- Knowledge and experience with Amazon Web Services for the development and implementation of digital platforms.
- Expertise with Git, Github and code hosting.
- Expertise with database development include both SQL and NoSQL databases.
- Comprehensive and complex project management skills and experience including Scrum agile project management.
- Knowledge of ITIL service management processes.
- Experience with social media management platforms.
- Experience with video capture and editing technologies and video/fundraising social platforms (Facebook Live, YouTube, YouTube Giving, YouTube Donation Cards, Patreon, etc.).
- Experience with streaming technologies that includes creating, publishing, and measuring streaming audio and video, including experience with industry streaming audio platforms such as StreamGuys and Triton.
- Significant management experience directing and overseeing software engineers, subject matter experts, and project teams.
- Expertise in collecting, measuring and reporting digital insights and analytics for app, web, and social engagement including Google Analytics, AWS Cloudwatch, Fabric/Crashlytics, New Relic and Facebook Insights.Experience with big data tools a plus.
- Experience with Google AdWords and digital marketing.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with budget development and management.
- Strong problem solving skills.
Key qualifications that are necessary for someone to fill this position include:
- Bachelor’s degree in software engineering or equivalent experience
- 5 years work experience as a front-end and server-side developer
- Amazon Web Services Certified
- Scrum project management certified
- Experience with Wordpress theme development
- Experience with iOS development using Objective-C and Swift
- Experience with Android development using Java and Kotlin
- Comprehensive leadership, management, coaching and influencing skills
- Agile and resilient problem-solving orientation
- Sense of curiosity, eagerness to learn and understand new things
Please include resume.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience: 7 years Minimum Field of Expertise: Management experience. in radio broadcast, audio transmission, FCC regulations and broadcast law. Manage engineering and operations staff. Design, construct, maintain studio and mobile facilities of a major radio operation.
REQ20083753 Posted Date: 01/09/2020 Apply