Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $5 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Director of Externship Programs & Adjunct Associate Professor of LawApply Law School Los Angeles, California
The University of Southern California, Gould School of Law seeks a full-time Director of Externship Programs. The Director also serves as an Adjunct Associate Professor of Law.
Founded in 1896, the Gould School of Law has a distinguished past built on the principles of equity and excellence, and the courage to break new ground. USC first introduced legal education in Southern California. Today, the law school continues to make history through its philosophy of innovation and through its people. USC Gould cultivates analytical ability, ethical values, and a spirit of collegiality that prepare students for meaningful careers benefiting society. It was one of the first law schools to engage students in clinical programs and remains a leader in experiential education.
The Director of Externship Programs will be responsible for directing all aspects of Gould’s for-credit externship programs supporting first, second, and third year law students seeking semester-based and summer placements in federal and state judicial chambers, government agencies (including the SC in DC program), public interest organizations, in-house legal offices, and in other settings. The Director will be responsible for directing all aspects of Gould’s externship programs supporting LLM in Alternative Dispute Resolution, Master of Dispute Resolution and international LLM students seeking semester-based and summer placements related to their respective degrees.
The Director will be responsible for the following:
- Educate and counsel students about the wide variety of externship options and help them identify areas of interest and strength
- Publicize the law externship programs to students through programs and workshops
- Identify new externship opportunities across the spectrum of Gould’s programs
- Enhance and expand Gould’s existing externship programs
- Ensure compliance with academic credit and graduation requirements
- Track progress of the students, review guided reflection assignments and oversee successful completion of all placements
- Approve and monitor placement employers and supervisors ensuring high quality experiences for externs
- Foster collaborative relationships with placement supervisors, including through site visits (when needed), and address issues and problems when they arise
- Promote the externships programs to outside constituents including prospective students and potential employers through the website, law school publications and other means
- Monitor compliance with ABA and other regulators’ externship standards
- Track the success of student placements and provide statistical reporting to the deans or other parties as needed
- Interact on a regional and national level with other externship programs and represent Gould at related professional organization meetings and conferences
- Supervise administrative staff and other adjunct externship faculty
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the Director’s supervisor, the Vice Dean for Administration
Applicants should enjoy working closely with students, have strong counseling, problem solving and conflict resolution skills, an outgoing and empathic personality, excellent judgment, strong organizational skills, and the ability to work with a variety of people both within the law school community and outside. The successful candidate will be highly motivated and flexible, thrive in a team-approach atmosphere. Strong oral and written communication skills, and administrative and supervisory skills are essential. Attention to detail and computer skills are also required, as well as the ability to work under time pressure and with frequent interruptions and changing priorities.
Required & Desired Qualifications: Juris Doctor degree required, with two or more years of legal teaching or legal experience in the private or public sector, higher education or a related field, and experience in the management of externship programs desirable. Knowledge of the public service community is a plus.
The position offers a competitive salary and benefits package. For information regarding USC benefits, visit the following website: https://benefits.usc.edu/i-am/full-time/
The University of Southern California values diversity in employment.
Minimum Education: Master's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 7 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Directly related program management experience. Expert knowledge of field, teaching experience and/or active in research. Ability to manage sponsored projects and fundraise.
REQ20063298 Posted Date: 08/16/2018 Apply