Information Technology Services
At Information Technology Services, our goal is to be the university's trusted business partner by creating a culture of exceptional customer service. Bringing together a team of diverse and talented professionals, we provide the central IT services that support USC's schools, hospitals, research centers, and administrative units. Through our recently launched digital transformation initiatives, we aim to develop an environment of continuous service improvement, founded on cross-functional teamwork, industry best practices, innovation, and commitment to the customer experience.
Director of High-Performance ComputingApply Office of the CIO ITS Los Angeles, California
The University of Southern California’s (USC’s) Information Technology Services is seeking a talented Director of High-Performance Computing (HPC) with an exceptional commitment to service excellence to join its team. As the Director of High-Performance Computing (HPC), you will be an integral member of the CIO’s team, collaborating with diverse and talented team members to help solve multidimensional information technology problems, improve customer experience, and generate value for our campus stakeholders across a broad base of departments and constituencies.
ITS has embarked on a major digital transformation initiative to continually improve services for faculty, staff, and students in support of USC’s ascent as a leading institution of higher education. The ITS vision aligns strategy, business, and services; affirms ITS cultural values; empowers cross-functional teamwork; embraces world-class best practices; and promotes innovation, excellence, agility, and efficiency. To achieve this vision, ITS is committed to providing a modern technology infrastructure that is resilient and delivers the performance necessary to meet the demands of a growing customer base, training in the latest technologies for its highly productive and motivated workforce, outstanding customer experience, and technology services that are aligned with the university’s mission to provide exceptional learning opportunities for students. ITS is creating a workplace where employees can develop cutting-edge skills, take pride in the services they provide, and have access to the roles and career paths that align to their abilities and potential.
We are looking for top talent to join us on our journey.
USC’s ITS organization represents a diverse and talented team, committed to supporting a collaborative culture and delivering secure and innovative IT services, core to the mission of USC. ITS values accountability, excellence, and commitment to exceptional customer experience. ITS strives for a supportive and inclusive culture that encourages employees to do their best work every day and where individuals are recognized and celebrated for their contributions.
USC is the leading private research university in Los Angeles—a global center for arts, technology, and international business. With more than 47,500 students, we are located primarily in Los Angeles but also in various US and global satellite locations. As the largest private employer in Los Angeles, responsible for $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic and professional schools and administrative units. As a USC employee and member of the Trojan Family—the faculty, staff, students, and alumni who make USC a great place to work—you will enjoy excellent benefits, including a variety of well-being programs designed to help individuals achieve work-life balance.
Come join the ITS team and work as a trusted partner in shaping an environment of innovation and excellence for the university.
The candidate for the position of Director of High-Performance Computing (HPC) must meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as data science, computer science, computer engineering, information systems, etc.
- Eight years of experience in information technology, higher education, high-performance computing, or other relevant fields and a minimum of five years of management experience.
- Security+ certification.
- Proficiency in information technology and with high-performance computing platforms.
- Experience with computational resources, data storage and management, architecture, and system administration.
- Direct, hands-on experience supporting large-scale, research computational resource implementations, as well as network implementations and upgrades.
- Experience delivering reliable and quality research computing services within a higher education environment or a large private-sector organization with federated operations.
- Strong understanding of higher education institutions and staff.
- Experience with networking and storage concepts and architectures, including HPC storage and architecture.
- Extensive experience with leading and running complex cloud and big-data systems, specifically Linux HPC clusters and other cloud-based technologies as well as DNS, DHCP, and other routing-and-switching fundamentals.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computational algorithms, scripting languages such as Python and PERL, software such as job schedulers and cluster management tools, compilers, application support and debugging, parallel and shared memory HPC frameworks such as OpenMP and MPI, various computing paradigms and languages used in HPC, Linux operating systems, software engineering, and data management systems.
- Demonstrated track record of driving emerging and/or disruptive technologies.
- Experience working with researchers and other stakeholders to translate business needs into technical strategies with corresponding technology roadmaps.
- Ability to articulate complex concepts to cross-functional audiences.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Exceptional written and oral communication and interpersonal skills, with extensive experience presenting ideas and solutions in non-technical, business friendly terms.
- Proven ability to develop and manage a high-performing team.
The ideal candidate for the position of Director of High-Performance Computing (HPC) has the following
- Master’s degree in a relevant field, such as data science, computer science, computer engineering, information systems, etc.
- More than ten years of experience in information technology, higher education, high-performance computing, or other relevant fields and eight years of management experience.
- Is a persuasive and effective communicator with the ability to interact with a wide variety of stakeholders and with experience presenting the business side of technical topics to non-technical audiences.
THE WORK YOU WILL DO
The Director of High-Performance Computing (HPC) oversees HPC infrastructure supporting data-intensive and computational research across disciplines at the university. The Director of HPC is responsible for managing on-premise HPC clusters, leading the design, implementation, and maintenance of systems to enable cutting-edge research and impact. The Director of HPC collaborates actively with local, regional and national organizations to identify research and development opportunities in the area of advanced computer technology for the advancement of scientific discovery by USC researchers. As a member of ITS, the Director of HPC is expected to model and cultivate ITS’s cultural values and behaviors within his or her team.
The Director of High-Performance Computing (HPC),
- Manages an on-premise HPC cluster. Leads the design, development, and evaluation of cloud and big-data systems to support research efforts, defining and refining policies and programs to meet customer technology needs. Identifies and develops opportunities for innovation in research computing by leveraging expertise, industry trends and leading practices, and a deep understanding of stakeholder needs.
- Develops the strategic vision for high-performance computing, including priorities, resourcing, timelines, and dependencies in collaboration with campus business partners. Provides consulting services for faculty and researchers. Drives continuous improvements in business processes by establishing key metrics. Develops and manages reporting mechanisms to track and measure departmental demand, impact, and performance.
- Collaborates at the institutional, regional, and national level through various organizations, such as the USC HPC Faculty Advisory Committee and the Coalition for Academic Scientific Computation (CASC) to develop strategic vision and address scientific and technology advancements in line with the research community. Participates in National Science Foundation (NSF) grants, such as the Campus Research Computing Consortium (CaRCC).
- Accountable for the development of team members by helping them set and achieve goals for their career growth. Fosters an inclusive environment that values differences and creates a sense of belonging and appreciation for team members. Demonstrates ethics and high levels of accountability. Leads by example to embed the ITS values and behaviors in his or her team. Creates a culture of trust and transparency. Drives best-in-class customer service to USC through effective team member engagement.
- Provides vision and high-level direction for high-performance computing within the larger context of the ITS and USC environments. Works with other ITS leaders, customers, partners, and stakeholders to develop and manage a holistic strategy for delivering service quality and continuous service improvement.
- Manages the implications of security and compliance guidelines by embedding university policies and procedures into work plans and workflows. Works closely with customers to relay the importance of and sensitivity around risk identification, mitigation, and remediation. Establishes governance for HPC through the implementation of standards, procedures, and quality measures. Accountable for the execution of the HPC service portfolio.
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with ITS leaders, customers, partners, and stakeholders by participating in governance boards, councils, meetings, and campus-wide technology initiatives to understand current and future business needs and to ensure that consistent, reliable service is delivered to a broad range of university stakeholders.
- Works closely with ITS leadership to identify, implement, and support cost-effective, leading solutions for all aspects of high-performance computing by maintaining currency with industry innovations; providing thought leadership around process optimization; and administering the department budget by creating, planning, monitoring, reconciling, and directing resources.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
Minimum Field of Expertise:
Bachelor’s degree in data science, computer science, computer engineering, information systems or other relevant field. Security+ certification. Proficiency in information technology and with high-performance computing platforms. Proven ability to develop and manage a high-performing team, with experience serving productively as both a team leader and team member. Demonstrated knowledge of computational algorithms, scripting languages (such as Python and PERL), compilers, and software application support. Extensive applicable, hands-on experience leading and running large-scale, complex, computationally data-intensive analytical systems, specifically Linux HPC clusters and other cloud-based technologies. Demonstrated expertise with: secure data regulations management, architecture, administration, monitoring, debugging, parallel and shared memory HPC frameworks (such as MPI and OpenMP), Linux operating systems, software engineering, data and cluster management systems, network computational resources, job schedulers, and various HPC computing paradigms and languages. Strong understanding of higher education institutions, staff, and budget management. Demonstrated experience delivering optimized, nimble, reliable and quality research computing services within a higher education environment or large private-sector organization with federated operations. Experience working with researchers and other stakeholders to translate business needs into technical strategies with corresponding technology roadmaps. Exceptional written and oral communication and interpersonal skills, with extensive experience presenting ideas and solutions in non-technical, business-friendly terms. Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills, able to positively interact with a wide variety of stakeholders diverse in culture, discipline, and background. Excellent organizational, planning and problem-solving skills. Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects while developing and managing audit processes and reporting results. Demonstrated track record of driving emerging and/or disruptive technologies.
REQ20071003 Posted Date: 02/12/2019 Apply