At USC Auxiliary Services, our mission is to create the best USC experience for our students, faculty, staff, visitors and community members, as we provide services across our six business units (Hospitality, Housing, Transportation, Bookstores, Radisson Hotel and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum). Auxiliary Services works diligently to welcome all visitors into the Trojan family and we are driven to succeed by our commitment to USC’s core values. Our team is comprised of some of the very best people in our industries, with diverse backgrounds and experiences, who come together to provide the best products and best service for all Trojans.
General Maintenance WorkerApply USC Housing - Maintenance Los Angeles, California
USC Housing, a division of USC Auxiliary Services, hosts more than 9,000 students, athletes, faculty, and staff throughout the year in over 50 properties on and off campus. Housing meets the challenge of inviting students into our Trojan family by making them feel comfortable, safe and welcome. We boast top-notch amenities including comprehensive recycling programs, simplified online repair requests, and more. Serving our students’ wellbeing is the reason that we are here and we share the same vision and excellence that they do.
We are seeking a General Maintenance Worker to join our rapidly growing team.
With all of the space needed to house over 9,000 Trojans, we need a General Maintenance Worker to monitor our facilities and ensure that we maintain our high standards of excellence. As an expert in all forms of repairs, you will examine and repair our facilities, as needed. You will use your expertise to communicate with management and outside vendors, as well to train other workers. Most of all, your focus on customer service will demonstrate to our students, faculty, and staff that we put their needs first!
- Analyze, troubleshoot, install, rebuild, adjust, and replace commercial kitchen appliances, commercial refrigeration equipment and HVAC equipment. May include, but not limited to: Walk-ins, steamers, convection ovens, dishwashers, booster heaters, warmers, serving lines, ice machines, bearings, motors, heating elements, soup wells, steam wells, air conditioner compressors, exhaust systems, blast chillers and fryers.
- Maintain room wiring systems and emergency exit signs; adjust timers; and test and replace smoke detectors and emergency lights. Secure electrical wires.
- Prepare walls for painting, patch holes, replace dry wall, and paint. Stain and refinish wood work. Assist in roof repairs; repair or replace tiles; and perform caulking.
- Maintain appliance part inventory. Fabricate cabinets, drawers, and screens and assemble furniture. Repair or replace closet doors, drawers, non-fire rated doors, door locks, closers, hinges, tiles, and bathroom fixtures.
- Perform preventive maintenance.
- Repair or replace various plumbing fixtures and hardware. Unclog sluggish or stopped drains.
- Perform light welding and vehicle maintenance. Perform utility work, e.g.. installing or removing posts and signs, patching street holes with asphalt, and repairing gates.
- Order, track, record, and maintain inventory parts for commercial kitchen appliances, commercial refrigeration equipment and all HVAC equipment as needed.
- Respond to emergencies in kitchen and dining facilities during scheduled hours as well as after hours and Holidays, including on call situations as needed.
- Responsible for attending new equipment training, training staff and demonstrating proper safe use and operation of equipment to staff. Identify and correct unsafe conditions and practices.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Education: Specialized or technical training.
- Experience: 6 – 12 months.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English.
- Knowledge of thermodynamic laws, refrigerator cycles, electricity principles, test/detection instruments, hand/power tools, AC/DC currents, wood finishing, wiring, painting, construction, and plumbing.
- Presents oneself professionally, in line with higher education environment.
What We Prefer:
- Specialized or technical training.
- 2 – 3 years of experience in appliance repair, plumbing, HVAC, outlet repair, and/or electrical.
- HVAC certification.
- Experience supporting a hospitality/restaurant department.
- Experience troubleshooting/repairing kitchen equipment.
- Ability to train students, temporary, and/or resource workers.
The Trojan Family Rewards:
We pride ourselves in creating the BEST USC EXPERIENCE, and that begins with our employees! We offer a wide variety of benefits and programs that support our staff and their families including:
- Benefits: dental and vision plans, tuition assistance for our employees and their families, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, 2:1 retirement plan contributions, child care centers and up to $50,000 housing subsidy. And because we are a qualifying public service organization, you may qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) for educational loans. Don’t believe us? Visit benefits.usc.edu.
- Perks: discounts to USC sporting events, USC Bookstores, wireless plans, travel, accommodations, and local entertainment.
- Career Growth: We are the largest private employer in Los Angeles offering tremendous development opportunities in multiple fields and industries. The Trojan Network connects current and previous members of the Trojan family to create an endless professional network.
This support advocates work-life balance and employee well-being. As members of the Trojan family, employees are connected by the traditions and history that make us proud to be Trojans!
As an equal opportunity employer, USC values and promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. The work culture thrives on mutual respect, trust, and synergy amongst all of its members.
USC has great minds that transform the world with their talents and research. Will you be one? Join us!
Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
6 - 12 Months
Minimum Field of Expertise:
Knowledge of thermodynamic laws, refrigerator cycles, electricity principles, test/detection
instruments, hand/power tools, wood finishing, AC/DC currents, wiring, painting,
construction and plumbing
REQ20041658 Posted Date: 03/28/2017 Apply