Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $5 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
HD Payroll/ Personnel Coordinator IApply Administration Los Angeles, California
The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. USC is consistently ranked among the nation’s most prestigious universities, and the USC Leonard Davis School of Gerontology features one the world’s best degree and research programs in gerontology. We have an international reputation as a hub of aging research and, with additional strong programs throughout the university, leads the way in defining and advancing the field of gerontology.
The USC Leonard Davis School of Gerontology is seeking an HD Payroll/Personnel Coordinator I with strong leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills to join its team! This position coordinates and provides a wide variety of payroll and/or personnel services that vary in complexity for a school, division, department or facility with minimal supervision. Provides general payroll and personnel assistance to a home department unit of a school, department or facility. Partners with central payroll and personnel offices, faculty, staff, and students to facilitate the exchange of information and to assist in resolving payroll or personnel matters. Performs some assignments that are non-routine and vary in complexity with minimal direction as needed.
Under the direction of the CFO and HR, the Payroll Coordinator is responsible for all payroll processing functions including the preparation, distribution and reporting processes of semi-monthly payrolls. The successful candidate must be well versed in payroll audits, troubleshooting, process improvement, and workflow documentation. Human resources experience is a plus.
- Well-developed computer skills including (but not limited to) ADP Workforce Now, Excel and Word.
- Ensure biweekly and monthly payroll is processed accordingly
- Maintain time and attendance records
- Research and responds to employee payroll inquiries in a timely fashion.
- Prepares and distributes off-cycle paychecks
- Answers outside inquiries regarding payroll
- Maintains knowledge of federal, state and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; ensuring school's compliance
- Creates and prepares payroll reports as needed.
- Conducts bi-weekly and monthly payroll audits
- Maintains secure and accurate payroll files and records.
- Frequently interacts with all levels of management outside their direct area of supervision.
- Maintains employee records in HRIS system
- Handles all transactional work related to recruitment, transfers, promotion, hires, leaves, and terminations
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- 3 + years of payroll and human resources experience
- Knowledge of and ability to understand and adhere to procedures for payroll compliance
- Proficient in MS Office (especially Excel)
- Ability to organize and prioritize to meet strict deadlines
- Team oriented, detail oriented and support focused
- Ability to work overtime if needed
Benefits include a competitive salary, a rich array of USC benefits including healthcare (including dental and vision), 403(b), tuition reimbursement, national holidays, paid vacation and more. This is a full-time salaried position that will require substantial commitment and flexibility.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance.
If you are interested, please submit your complete application including a cover letter and resume with references. Thank you for your interest!
Minimum Education: High school or equivalent
Minimum Experience: 2 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Skilled in payroll or personnel processing with knowledge of applicable federal, state, local laws and regulations. Ability to establish and maintain accurate payroll and personnel records.
REQ20059343 Posted Date: 05/09/2018 Apply