"As provost, I know that our academic excellence depends on the contributions of all our faculty. Our faculty advance knowledge through our research, teach our talented students, and provide excellent health care to our patients. USC seeks to attract the best and brightest faculty, and we provide a collegial academic environment and employment conditions in which they can flourish and achieve academic success." Michael Quick, Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Information Services LibrarianApply HSC Library - Dentistry Los Angeles, California
THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
The University of Southern California is one of the world’s leading private research universities. An anchor institution in Los Angeles, a global center for arts, technology, and international business, USC’s diverse curricular offerings provide extensive opportunities for interdisciplinary study, and collaboration with leading researchers in highly advanced learning environments. With a strong tradition of integrating liberal and professional education, USC fosters a vibrant culture of public service and encourages students to cross academic as well as geographic boundaries in their pursuit of knowledge. For more information, visit www.usc.edu.
The USC Libraries actively support the discovery, creation, and preservation of knowledge. We develop collections and services that support and encourage the academic endeavors of faculty, students, and staff; value serving a culturally diverse community; build a community of critical consumers of information; and help develop engaged world citizens. Through these means, we contribute to the continued success of the University of Southern California. The USC Libraries includes the Doheny Memorial Library and fourteen specialized libraries with an operating budget of approximately $41 million. Through an active outreach program librarians and staff at USC Libraries conduct orientations, workshops, and instruction sessions that reach thousands of undergraduate and graduate students annually. For more information, visit libraries.usc.edu.
WILSON DENTAL LIBRARY AND HERMAN OSTROW SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY
The Wilson Dental Library (WDL) provides information resources and support for the Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC faculty, students, and staff and selectively for the general oral healthcare community and the public. Two librarians and four staff members provide services at WDL during the 68.5 hours it is open. The Wilson Dental Library is a member of the USC Health Sciences Libraries and one of the many libraries that are part of the USC Libraries system.
The Wilson Dental Library is located within Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry located on the USC University Park Campus. The School has been training dentists and dental hygienists since 1897, and currently has an active research program in the areas of oral and craniofacial biology, stem cell science, biofilm research, and clinical investigation. The School of Dentistry is renowned for its community outreach programs that provide oral health services to local and international communities. For further information regarding the Wilson Dental Library and the Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry, see: wdl.usc.edu/ and dentistry.usc.edu.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Reporting to the Director of Wilson Dental Library, the librarian will:
- Plan, coordinate, execute and assess reference activities for the Wilson Dental Library
- Create and evaluate content for LibGuides
- Participate in systematic review searches and other expert searching research projects
- Collaborate with the Director to improve the library’s website, conduct usability studies, and make suggestions to improve overall content
- Provide instruction for faculty, staff, and students on the effective use of library resources and services
- Collaborate with Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry faculty to design, develop, and assess library-related learning objectives
- Create online tutorials related to information tools and services to support distance education students
- Assist the Director in the formulation of the collection development profile and selection and de-selection of materials, including suggestions based on user feedback
- Identify projects related to the collection and work with WDL staff to execute projects
- Assist in the orientation and training of library staff, including use of the ILS; monitor staff performance, and report any issues
- Provide input regarding library procedures and take an active role in their implementation
- Evening and/or weekend hours will be required
- Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum qualifications: MLS from an ALA accredited program or non-U.S. equivalent is required for a librarian appointment at USC. In addition, candidates must have:
- 2-3 years of experience working in a health sciences library
- Experience and knowledge of health sciences information resources
- Demonstrated experience teaching or providing library instruction
- Experience and proficiency in using emerging technologies
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility and adaptability for work in an evolving, fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical, and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated initiative, the ability to manage multiple projects and a commitment to professional development
- Demonstrated knowledge of collection development policies and procedures
- Knowledge of evidence-based practice
- Experience with systematic review searching
- Experience supervising staff, student workers or other personnel
- Experience with processing rare books, archives and other special collections
FACULTY APPOINTMENT RANK/SALARY
Rank: Librarian 1 or 2 dependent upon experience. Starting salary depends on qualifications and experience. This position is on the continuing appointment track, the USC Libraries’ equivalent to tenure.
Benefits include a choice of retirement programs, 22 paid vacation days per year, university holidays, a choice of medical and dental plans, and tuition assistance (for employees and eligible dependents). For more information about benefits see: benefits.usc.edu
As part of the application, candidates must upload one document file (Word or PDF) that contains the following: 1) a cover letter, 2) a curriculum vitae (including telephone and e-mail address), and 3) a list of at least three references that includes the name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address for each referee.
Closing date for applications: Position open until filled.
For more information about this position, please contact Annie Thompson, Director of the Wilson Dental Library email@example.com
USC is an equal-opportunity educator and employer, proudly pluralistic and firmly committed to providing equal opportunity for outstanding persons of every race, gender, creed and background. The university particularly encourages members of underrepresented groups, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply. USC will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship. Further information is available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Jennifer Ann Wilson Dental Library seeks an engaged and talented librarian who is prepared to provide the Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC community with dynamic educational programming and information services. Reporting to the Director of the Wilson Dental Library, the Information Services Librarian is an active participant in the School of Dentistry’s Problem-Based Learning process and is in charge of providing comprehensive training to new students on library services and resources. Along with reference and instruction duties, the Information Services Librarian participates in multiple aspects of library management including collection development and personnel management. The position also holds a faculty appointment with the Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC.
REQ20048957 Posted Date: 08/22/2017 Apply