At USC Auxiliary Services, our mission is to create the best USC experience for our students, faculty, staff, visitors and community members, as we provide services across our six business units (Hospitality, Housing, Transportation, Bookstores, Radisson Hotel and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum). Auxiliary Services works diligently to welcome all visitors into the Trojan family and we are driven to succeed by our commitment to USC’s core values. Our team is comprised of some of the very best people in our industries, with diverse backgrounds and experiences, who come together to provide the best products and best service for all Trojans.
Kitchen Supervisor, PIRCApply USC Hospitality - IRC Residential Dining Los Angeles, California
From fine dining restaurants to residential dining, USC Hospitality serves over 65,000 students, athletes, faculty, and staff, as well as our many visitors. Hospitality is one of the six core business units that comprise USC Auxiliary Services and one of the largest employers on campus. We are renowned for our fresh take on self-operated food concepts with 43 restaurants between both campuses. The team at USC Hospitality is led by innovative executive chefs and directors who strive every day to craft nourishing and wholesome alternatives for our hungry Trojan Family and our guests.
We at USC Hospitality take pride in offering the best in residential dining options to our students, athletes, faculty, and staff. From Parkside Restaurant & Grill to Everybody’s Kitchen (EVK) to the University Village, our team works hard to make sure there are fresh, healthy options for all of our developing Trojans. We look forward to meeting the changing needs of the USC community, including the introduction of locally sourced whole foods to fuel our guests for studying and student life and home-style meals to welcome every guest into our family. Each restaurant offers a unique communal dining experience appealing to a variety of dining preferences and nutritional lifestyles of our diverse student population.
We are seeking a Kitchen Supervisor to join our rapidly growing team.
Have experience leading a team providing excellence in customer service, meal quality, and dining experience? Then this is the job for you! The Kitchen Supervisor will bring enthusiasm, energy, passion, and dedication to our team of talented professionals. All aspects of our kitchen’s daily operations, including food prep work, inventory control, staff management, and kitchen layout, will be under your purview. We take pride in our daily work and, as our supervisor, you will as well!
- Assign duties to staff on a daily and weekly basis using opening and closing checklists and/or weekly side work. Direct, guide, train, and motivate staff to achieve and meet the production and/or sales goals. Supervise staff to ensure they are following the standards set by USC Hospitality and the Health Department.
- Conduct pre-shift meetings to provide all staff with day-to-day goals and expectations. Communicate changes from management to front line staff. Check out staff before they leave for the day to ensure they have properly completed all assigned tasks that fit their job description.
- Maintain clear understanding of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Ensure a safe work environment.
- Ensure the cleanliness of the kitchen before, during, and after the shift according to the local health department regulations. Monitor equipment and make requests for repairs when necessary.
- Participate in menu planning and recipe creation. Supervise and coordinate food preparation.
- Ensure the par levels are correct and make adjustments based on volume. Check waste logs and adjust pars accordingly to control food cost. Conduct line checks and taste food to ensure quality.
- Ensure proper stocking of products. Take inventory on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. Order inventory and enter invoices into system.
- Complete data entry for the cash office, financial report, and closing report. Enter daily sales into report and distribute to management.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Education: High School Diploma.
- Experience: 1 year.
- Experience in high-volume, full-service kitchen environment.
- Knowledge of all kitchen equipment, small or large scale.
- Experience supervising and/or leading other employees.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pertinent local, federal, and state health and safety laws and regulations.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English.
What We Prefer:
- Specialized or technical training.
- 2 years of experience.
- Experience training and developing employees.
- Batch cooking, lead cook, and/or fine dining experience.
- Batch cooking/catering experience.
- Union experience.
The Trojan Family Rewards:
We pride ourselves in creating the BEST USC EXPERIENCE, and that begins with our employees! We offer a wide variety of benefits and programs that support our staff and their families including:
- Benefits: dental and vision plans, tuition assistance for our employees and their families, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, 2:1 retirement plan contributions, child care centers and up to $50,000 housing subsidy. And because we are a qualifying public service organization, you may qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) for educational loans. Don’t believe us? Visit benefits.usc.edu.
- Perks: discounts to USC sporting events, USC Bookstores, wireless plans, travel, accommodations, and local entertainment.
- Career Growth: We are the largest private employer in Los Angeles offering tremendous development opportunities in multiple fields and industries. The Trojan Network connects current and previous members of the Trojan family to create an endless professional network.
This support advocates work-life balance and employee well-being. As members of the Trojan family, employees are connected by the traditions and history that make us proud to be Trojans!
As an equal opportunity employer, USC values and promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. The work culture thrives on mutual respect, trust, and synergy amongst all of its members.
USC has great minds that transform the world with their talents and research. Will you be one? Join us!
High school or equivalent
Minimum Field of Expertise:
One year experience within a high-volume, full service kitchen environment. Knowledge
of all kitchen equipment, small or large scale. Experience supervising and/or leading
others performing similar duties. Demonstrated knowledge of pertinent local, federal and
state health and safety laws and regulations.
REQ20050084 Posted Date: 09/06/2017 Apply