Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Lead Software EngineerApply ICT Los Angeles, California
The University of Southern California Institute for Creative Technologies (USC ICT) is actively looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join an interdisciplinary team working to develop a ground breaking virtual and augmented reality simulation platform.
* Role may involve work subject to export controls. US Person preferred
- Lead the planning, design, development and implementation of software solutions and
- Ensure designs are translated into highly composable code.
- Determine operational feasibility (e.g., evaluating analysis, establishing problem definitions, proposing solutions).
- Identify resource requirements and monitor progress with status reports.
- Work with researchers and developers to design, develop, test, and document new systems within the platform
- Work with designers, artists, researchers, and other programmers to develop, expand and refine simulation platforms
- Create examples, tutorials, and documentation in support of researchers and developers
- Work closely with other programmers and artists to solve design, pipeline and/or programming issues
Preferred skills and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience with a strong background in development in C/C++ and C# and understanding the specific performance considerations and practices for each language.
- 8+ years’ experience in software/game development
- Expertise with Unity and Unreal Engine
- Hands-on experience with large-scale computational simulation and real-time physics.
- Experience with measuring and optimizing computational, storage, and network performance of real-time physics simulations.
- Deep understanding of data structures, algorithms, and both computational and storage complexity analysis.
- Experience implementing networked gameplay and dealing with bandwidth and latency issues.
- A strong understanding of online games, including low-level networking, back-end, and internet connection issues and solutions.
- Prior development work on distributed systems and client/server architectures.
- Knowledge of network and server security issues.
- Extensive knowledge, experience, and understanding of Unity’s/Unreal’s systems related to multiplayer networking.
- Experience with Photon, Mirror or other comparable networking frameworks.
- Experience developing Augmented/Virtual/Mixed Reality solutions for Oculus, Vive, and/or MS Hololens.
- Experience with building native plugins for Unity/Unreal
- Experience building, deploying, and supporting Unity/Unreal applications as a live service.
- Experience profiling and debugging Unity/Unreal applications for performance optimizations.
- Effective and clear written and verbal communication skills, in support of working with experts in other disciplines such as game design, art, and subject matter experts.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills for translating described requirements into code.
- Comfortable with source control solutions such as SVN or Git.
- Ability to prioritize a variety of tasks in a manner that enables timely completion.
- Strong knowledge of programming/scripting languages and debugging techniques (e.g., MS Visual Studio, Python)
- Expert in software development lifecycle best practices (e.g., versioning w/ Git or SVN, unit testing, documentation generation)
- Desire to collaborate in a research environment
Why work at USC ICT
- Work on exciting and innovative projects that have real-world impact
- Small project team environment allows for involvement across entire project lifecycle
- A quality work-life balance
- Work with interesting people from all walks of life: technologists, social scientists, military experts, creative writers, etc.
- Opportunities for free, top-tier university education for you and your children
- Located in the heart of Playa Vista on the West Side of Los Angeles.
- Be part of both the research and development of tomorrow
- Flexible schedule
- Great benefits, including medical, continued education, and matched retirement, see http://benefits.usc.edu
About USC ICT
The University of Southern California's Institute for Creative Technologies (USC ICT) is where academia, entertainment, and the military meet. Located in the heart of Silicon Beach in Playa Vista, no other institute offers a more diverse collaborative environment where basic and applied research work hand-in-hand to transition cutting-edge technologies.
We are world leaders in virtual human research, computer graphics, computer training simulations, learning sciences, body computing, and immersive experiences for decision-making, cultural awareness, leadership and health. ICT employees are encouraged to develop themselves both professionally and personally, through workshops, invited guest talks, movie nights, social events, various sports teams, a private gym and a personal trainer. The atmosphere at ICT is relaxed, informal and flexible, while encouraging initiative, personal responsibility, and a high work ethic.
The annual base salary range for this position is $175,000- $195,000. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree Addtional Education Requirements Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience: 8 years Minimum Skills: Eight years’ experience with programming and documentation procedures, methods and operator instructions. Proven experience in leadership/management roles.
REQ20118707 Posted Date: 12/15/2022 Apply
With just one click and a connection to LinkedIn, we can connect you with jobs that match your work experience.Start matchingto jobs with your LinkedIn account
Recently added jobs
- Physician Assistant Los Angeles, California REQ20131617
- Nuclear Medicine Tech - CVTI Diagnostic - Per Diem 8 Hour Days (Non-Exempt) (Non-Union) Los Angeles, California REQ20131432
- Non-Government Collector - Patient Accounting - Full Time 8 Hour Days (Non-Exempt) (Non-Union) Alhambra, California REQ20131455