Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $5 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Licensing Associate-Life SciencesApply USC Stevens Center for Innovation - Licensing Los Angeles, California
The USC Stevens Center for Innovation seeks outstanding candidates for the position of Licensing Associate in Life Sciences.
The USC Stevens Center is a university-wide resource in the office of the Provost whose mission is to help USC innovators make maximum impact with their ideas. As part of this role, the USC Stevens Center manages the university’s intellectual property portfolio stemming from USC’s approximately $700 million in annual research expenditures, and manages related patenting, technology marketing, licensing, and new venture development activity aimed at transitioning university innovations into commercial applications for the benefit of society. Licensing Associates play a key role in supporting these efforts.
The best candidates will have an advanced degree in a life science discipline, a passion for emerging technologies, very strong organization and communication skills, and a desire to learn and grow. Prior licensing and/or technology assessment experience is preferred but not required. This position provides an opportunity for an entrepreneurial-minded life science graduate to play an active and critical role as new technologies go from idea to market. This opportunity will allow you to contribute to new approaches in innovation management and licensing within an already bold and forward-thinking academic institution!
- In this role you will manage a portfolio of University-owned life sciences inventions and support intellectual property development, protection, marketing and licensing. You will interact with faculty and researchers and learn about exciting new technologies in the areas of life science, medical science and biotechnology. Specifically, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Assisting with the assessment of inventions and identification of commercial applications through research and analysis of markets, competitive technologies, prior art, and patent landscape
- Manage a portfolio of university inventions
- Identify potential commercial applications and business partners for university inventions Market university inventions through multiple channels to prospects capable of bringing the inventions to market
- Negotiate and complete non-complex licenses and related agreements, including development of business terms and overseeing internal diligence procedures prior to agreement signing
- Assist in the management of complex intellectual property portfolios;
- Coordinate efforts on a wide range of activities with other USC Stevens staff members, university researchers, business partners, law firms, and others; tracking activities in databases and ensuring that information is up to date
- Train and supervise interns
- Contribute to ongoing process improvement to enable the USC Stevens Center to deliver high quality, professional service to a growing base of inventors and business partners
- Master’s Degree in a Life Sciences field
- 3 years of experience in a corporate or university technology transfer and business development setting
- Experience with startups and new product development
- Ability to gather information and perform research utilizing databases and other online sources
- Experience directly relevant to evaluating the market potential of early-stage inventions in life science industries, and identifying commercial potential
- Understanding of the patent prosecution process
- Highly self-motivated with outstanding organization and time management skills
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and complete projects on a timely basis, working both independently and as part of a team
- Eager to take ownership of projects
- Requires a high level of attention to detail
- Outstanding communication skills and ability to convey technical concepts
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships with collaborators
- Customer service oriented
- Demonstrated perseverance and problem solving skills
Field of Expertise:
- Knowledge of patent and contract law
- Business Development experience
USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for staff and their family with access to the renowned university medical network; eligibility for retirement plans with employer contributions after six (6) months of employment; tuition benefits for staff and their family; free professional development online courses; central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, buses and free tram pick-up services; discounts to football, basketball and other campus events.
As part of the application, candidates must upload one document file (Word or PDF) that contains the following: 1) a cover letter, 2) Resume (including telephone and e-mail address).
USC is an equal-opportunity educator and employer, proudly pluralistic and firmly committed to providing equal opportunity for outstanding persons of every race, gender, creed and background. The university particularly encourages members of underrepresented groups, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply. USC will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship. Further information is available by contacting uschr
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree
Minimum Experience: 2 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Bachelor’s Degree in Science or Engineering. Two years sales, marketing, contract,
patent, or licensing experience. Requires an understanding of the research and technology development process.
REQ20062546 Posted Date: 01/23/2019 Apply