Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Piano TechnicianApply Thornton School of Music Los Angeles, California
Piano Technician 5-month Fixed Term
The University of Southern California Thornton School of Music is looking for a knowledgeable, energetic Piano Technician 5-month Fixed Term to join the Thornton’s Operation department. This position is a 5-month fixed term and reports to the Senior Piano Technician.
The work schedule: 7:00AM-3:30PM Monday through Friday, and will transition to Tuesday through Saturday (additional work hours occasionally required).
Combining the benefits of a world-class conservatory and a leading research university, the USC Thornton School of Music offers students the opportunity to pursue a thorough music education in a real-world context. We offer students a full range of musical disciplines across a demanding innovative curriculum, and the opportunity to work with a faculty of national and international renown.
The student body at USC is extraordinarily diverse: it is racially and ethnically a majority/minority population with a full range of expressions of gender, ability and sexual identities which we embrace as a source of institutional strength and community pride. The University’s commitment to building an academic environment hospitable to this wide range of diversity is full and complete. To that end, we are seeking to create as diverse a pool of candidates as possible; one which reflects the broad diversity of identities and experiences that comprise the country as well as Thornton generally.
- Demonstrated expertise in concert quality tuning required.
- Expertise in the maintenance of American Steinways required.
- Demonstrated skill in repairing keyboard problems ranging from the common to the complex, including voicing, regulation, and action rebuilding required.
- Have knowledge and experience with the use of iOS devices and tuning applications (ex. iRCT Reyburn Cyber Tuner).
- Registered Piano Technician certification preferred from Piano Technicians Guild.
- Demonstrated expertise in concert quality aural tuning preferred.
- Experience tuning harpsichords preferred with an interest in developing skills.
- Experience at the college or university level supporting the challenges of an enterprise environment as well as the unique technical demands of faculty and student artists.
- Experience with Steinways, Yamahas, and Bostons preferred.
- Strong business writing and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, prioritize repairs, and tuning schedules.
- Experience with budget management and procurement of specialized piano parts and tools.
- Maintain strong connections with other piano technicians in the Los Angeles Area.
- Have a collaborative spirit for tackling repairs and piano projects.
- Be able to provide strong customer service skills with a professional attitude and demeanor.
- Be proficient in EMS Scheduling software, MS Word, Outlook, Excel, Google Suite, SharePoint, Asana, and Slack.
- Have experience with evaluating and diagnosing issues in digital pianos in large lab teaching environments.
- Be adaptable to new technologies and systems.
- Be able to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment with many distractions.
USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for staff & their family with access to the renowned university medical network; eligibility for retirement plans; tuition benefits for staff & their family; free professional development online courses; central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, buses & free tram pick up services; discounts to football, basketball & other campus events. To view more information, please visit: https://employees.usc.edu/benefits-perks/
Minimum Education: Highschool or equivalent. Completion of Steinway training course(s) highly desirable.
In order to be considered, all candidates must:
- Complete the online application
- Attach a Résumé
- Attach a Cover Letter addressing your specific qualifications for this position.
Your Application will not be considered complete without these items.
REQ20114800 Posted Date: 04/05/2022 Apply