Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Postdoctoral Scholar Research Associate - SERCApply Viterbi School of Engineering Los Angeles, California
USC’s Information Sciences Institute (ISI), a unit of the university’s Viterbi School of Engineering, is a world leader in the research and development of advanced artificial intelligence, information processing, computing, cybersecurity, and communications technologies. ISI’s 400 faculty, professional staff and graduate students carry out extraordinary information sciences research at three distinct locations - Marina Del Rey, CA; Arlington, VA; and Waltham, MA.
*This position is located in Marina del Rey, CA.*
The Space Engineering Research Center (SERC) is a joint venture between two components of USC – the Information Sciences Institute (ISI) and the Department of Astronautical Engineering. SERC is dedicated to disruptive space engineering, research, and education – including hands-on build, test and flight demonstrations of spacecraft and satellites. SERC seeks to challenge traditional methods of space R&D, manufacturing, and exploration with approaches that dramatically reduce cost, enable novel capabilities, and support vital democratization of the space domain.
ISI is seeking a Postdoctoral Scholar – Research Associate. This is a 1-year, fixed-term position, with possibility of an extension for another 2 years. This Postdoctoral Scholar – Research Associate will be conducting research in the area of spacecraft integration and engineering for new space technology development.
Due to contract export-controlled requirements, candidate must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident (green card holder).
- Ph.D. in Aerospace and Mechanical, Electrical or Astronautical Engineering with emphasis on electronics circuit board design and test, related to experiments or small satellites for space.
- Require at least one lead level experience working on a space-based experiment and/or Cubesat or small satellite build, test and fly.
- Experience working in a research lab environment with various levels of specialized test equipment, knowledge of clean-room operations and protocols for safe workspace management is beneficial.
- Knowledge at a systems level for satellite and space platforms and payloads is needed, understanding of orbital mechanics and ground track and communications operation highly beneficial.
- Experience leading various levels of students interacting with industry or Government personnel in space projects beneficial.
- Experience with various rapid prototype RTOS devices and 3D printing is helpful.
The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
Minimum Education: Ph.D. or equivalent doctorate within previous three years Minimum Experience: 0-1 year Minimum Field of Expertise: Directly related education in research specialization with advanced knowledge of equipment, procedures and analysis methods.
REQ20101897 Posted Date: 08/25/2021 Apply