"As provost, I know that our academic excellence depends on the contributions of all our faculty. Our faculty advance knowledge through our research, teach our talented students, and provide excellent health care to our patients. USC seeks to attract the best and brightest faculty, and we provide a collegial academic environment and employment conditions in which they can flourish and achieve academic success." Michael Quick, Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Professor of Clinical Management and Organization (Open Rank)Apply Department of Management & Organization Los Angeles, California
The Department of Management and Organization in the Marshall School of Business seeks an outstanding full time faculty member to teach in its American Library Association accredited Master of Management in Library and Information Science (MMLIS), 100% online degree program.
The faculty member will teach in the summer (beginning early May) semester 2018 and beyond. This position—working at a distance with online support—requires firm grounding and experience in management and LIS. Due to the online nature of the program, faculty can be based anywhere in the United States. Candidates must demonstrate a combination of skills and confidence that will transform education in library and information science through the integration of leadership knowledge, skills, and abilities across the curriculum.
This full-time appointment will be for the academic year with a flexible contract to accommodate three semesters of 15-week courses; fall, spring and summer. Instructional design and media technology assistance will be provided to ensure proficiency in using the program’s highly interactive learning management system.
All MMLIS faculty are encouraged to make scholarly contributions that advance pedagogy and instructional innovation. Successful candidates will be well-recognized and regarded professionals providing demonstrable leadership to the field.
THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
The University of Southern California is one of the world’s leading private research universities. An anchor institution in Los Angeles, a global center for arts, technology, and international business, USC’s diverse curricular offerings provide extensive opportunities for interdisciplinary study, and collaboration with leading researchers in highly advanced learning environments. With a strong tradition of integrating liberal and professional education, USC fosters a vibrant culture of public service and encourages students to cross academic as well as geographic boundaries in their pursuit of knowledge. For more information, visit www.usc.edu.
USC MARSHALLSCHOOL OF BUSINESS
The MMLIS degree granting entity, USC Marshall School of Business, is renowned for its high-ranking undergraduate, graduate, international and executive education programs, an exceptional faculty engaged in leading-edge research, a diverse and creative student body, and a commitment to technological advancement. The research productivity of Marshall's 200 full-time faculty ranks among the top 15 business schools in the world. For more information, visit http://www.marshall.usc.edu.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Working with the Director, Master of Management in Library and Information Science, successful candidates will:
- Design, teach and assess courses for the MMLIS degree program
- Teach in a synchronous and asynchronous online learning environment
- Assess student learning outcomes
- Plan, promote, and assess the MMLIS program
- Participate in the management and administration of the program as a lead faculty member, including, but not limited to, assisting with student internships, student chapters of professional associations, and alumni relations
- Assist with recruitment efforts
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum qualifications: MLIS from an ALA accredited program or a related field and a Ph.D. (or equivalent) completed or near completion. Candidates must have a combination of academic/professional qualifications and senior experience appropriate to a graduate academic program offered in management. In addition, candidates must provide examples of:
- Experience developing and teaching academic courses in management and library and information science at the graduate level;
- Experience with teaching or instructional methods and principles, particularly in an online environment;
- Experience assessing student learning outcomes;
- Experience using social media, computer-assisted learning applications, or experience using technology to support instruction and learning;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines;
- Ability to work in a collegial, collaborative environment;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Experience working with people from diverse cultural backgrounds;
- Experience in solving problems independently and collaboratively.
FACULTY APPOINTMENT RANK/SALARY
Rank and salary are commensurate with experience and qualifications. This position is subject to the requirements and needs of the MMLIS program. Candidates cannot be USC students.
Applications must be submitted via USC’s online faculty application website.
As part of the application, candidates must upload one document file (Word or PDF) that contains the following:
1) A letter clearly indicating area(s) of specialization and teaching experience
2) A detailed curriculum vitae
3) A concise statement of current and future research directions and funding
4) A sample of teaching evaluations
5) A list of at least four academic/professional references that includes the name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address for each referee, and
6) Answers to the following required questions (limited to one page for each question):
a) Briefly describe your reasons for wanting to join the MMLIS team and
b) Explain the contribution you might make to an evidence-based online graduate school program.
Closing date for applications: Position open until filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply by January 29, 2018.
For more information about this position, contact Dr. Gary Shaffer, Search Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance.
REQ20053769 Posted Date: 12/14/2017 - Thru date - 5/2/2018 Apply