"As provost, I know that our academic excellence depends on the contributions of all our faculty. Our faculty advance knowledge through our research, teach our talented students, and provide excellent health care to our patients. USC seeks to attract the best and brightest faculty, and we provide a collegial academic environment and employment conditions in which they can flourish and achieve academic success." Michael Quick, Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Public Relations Open Rank Faculty (Tenure-Track)Apply School of Journalism Los Angeles, California
ASSISTANT, ASSOCIATE OR FULL PROFESSOR (TENURE TRACK)
The Public Relations Studies Program at USC Annenberg’s School of Journalism seeks applicants for the full-time position of Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor (tenure track). We recognize that public relations is undergoing revolutionary change and redefinition due to convergence of media, technologies, and challenges in the public’s trust in institutions. We also recognize that public relations scholarship potentially involves many fields. We are thus looking for crossover candidates from communication, advertising, marketing, organizational sciences, data science, management, information and library science, applied anthropology, and/or computer science. Our ideal candidate will have previously worked in public relations or a related field like advertising or marketing. We seek a research-oriented colleague who is eager to deeply explore areas relevant to public relations in ways that are rigorous and creative. Some of the methodological areas that might be considered include approaches using ethnographic methods, data and library science approaches, social network analysis, machine learning content analysis, artificial intelligence, and digital humanities, as well as interesting extensions and combinations of these research techniques. We do not have student pools or a lab and thus are not looking for experimental psychologists at this time. We are searching for scholars who publish top-tier articles pertaining directly to public relations, doing it from various fields, and crafting creative, sophisticated, accessible, and rigorous work.
Preferred candidates will have:
- A doctorate in a field with research relevant to public relations research, such as communication, marketing, sociology, information and library science, political science, computer science, or anthropology;
- ABDs who can show evidence that their degree work will be completed by August 1, 2018 will also be considered;
- A track record of published work in top tier outlets; where appropriate this includes peer-reviewed academic journals as well as high quality academic books published by renowned academic presses;
- Evidence of a high quality and active research pipeline in an area related to public relations and targeted at the top-tier of research publications;
- A demonstrably high level of methodological innovation and/or aptitude;
- Interest and enthusiasm for bridging theory and practice;
- Solid knowledge, or preferably, experience of public relations or a field relating directly and demonstrably to public relations
- Willingness and ability to teach in our applied public relations undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
Applicants should send a cover letter, a current curriculum vitae or resume, and a small sample of professional or scholarly work. In your application, please carefully explain how you meet our qualifications, particularly, top-tier track record, top-tier pipeline, methodologically innovative research, theory-practice balance, public relations knowledge, and teaching skills. Additional information about the manner in which your research might link to Los Angeles might be helpful, because Annenberg is closely connected to the city that surrounds it, an environment rich in public relations and communication talent. Linking your research interests to those of our colleagues in the Journalism Program and our sister School of Communication may also be helpful.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The University of Southern California was founded in 1870 and is today home to more than 40,000 students and nearly 3,600 full-time faculty. An anchor institution in Los Angeles, and the city's largest private employer, USC is a leader among US institutions of higher education in the enrollment of international students. USC has an endowment of $4.5 billion and substantial federal research funding, placing it in the top tier of US research universities.
USC is an equal-opportunity educator and employer, proudly pluralistic and firmly committed to providing equal opportunity for outstanding persons of every race, gender, creed and background. The University particularly encourages members of underrepresented groups, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply.
REQ20047318 Posted Date: 08/30/2017 Apply