Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Public Safety DispatcherApply PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Los Angeles, California
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The USC Department of Public Safety (DPS) is one of the largest campus public safety departments in the United States employing 300+ full-time personnel and 30 part-time student workers. The department’s primary mission is to provide a safe and secure environment on campus and in the local USC community that allows students, faculty, staff and campus visitors to realize their academic and social pursuits.
ABOUT THE JOB
The USC Department of Public Safety (DPS) seek a Public Safety Communications Operator I to join our dynamic team. The Public Safety Communications Operator I performs multiple functions in the Communications Center in support of various department personnel at the University Park Campus, Health Sciences Campus, and University Parking Center. Receives calls for service from faculty, staff, students and guests, and dispatches the appropriate department personnel via radio communications equipment. Serves as a vital link between the service community, Public Safety personnel, and all other emergency and nonemergency services available at the university and in the surrounding community. The ideal candidate will have excellent verbal and written communication skills, listening skills and the ability to make instantaneous decisions based on minimal information. In addition, skilled in controlling emotions and ability to work under pressure.
• Receives emergency calls requesting police, fire, and rescue assistance.
• Determines appropriate response in accordance with established procedures and assessment of the situation. Dispatches Public Safety units in response to calls for service.
• Maintains a record of all calls and radio messages. Monitors status of public safety, parking transportation, campus cruiser, residential protection, assets protection, and other special duty units. Prepares appropriate management reports of calls.
• Receives calls and complaints regarding service and assistance and refers them to the appropriate unit. Operates telephone switching equipment.
• Requests back-up or follow-up assistance from the Los Angeles Police Department, Los Angeles Fire Department, and other agencies.
• Operates Computer Aided Dispatch system and maintains manual and automated records systems. Conducts information searches as needed.
Performs other tasks/duties as assigned.
The hourly rate range for this position is $27.49 - $27.49. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Minimum Education: High school or equivalent Minimum Experience: 6 - 12 months Minimum Field of Expertise: Experience in related field. Ability to type 30 net words per minute. Working knowledge of computer input and retrieval functions.
REQ20110752 Posted Date: 01/12/2023 Apply