Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Research Data & Technology Director, HealthcareApply Sol Price School of Public Policy Los Angeles, California
The Leonard D. Schaeffer Center for Health Policy and Economics is one of the nation’s premier health policy research centers. Housed jointly in the schools of Pharmacy and Public Policy, its mission is to measurably improve value in health through evidence based policy solutions, research excellence, transformative education, and private and public sector engagement to raise awareness and produce groundbreaking research in the areas of health economics, health policy and pharmaceutical economics. The Center houses more than 50 distinguished scholars who collaborate on a wide array of research and policy questions. The Center also supports programming and microsimulation staff and a data core with access to national survey data and large claims databases from various sources. An External Affairs group supports a sophisticated dissemination strategy to ensure Schaeffer Center research informs health policy. Through an established partnership with the Brookings Institution, the Center regularly convenes health policy conferences and publishes policy briefs on salient policy issues, often in collaboration with other universities and institutions.
The Schaeffer Center is seeking a Research Data & Technology Director, Healthcare to lead major Center undertakings and technology teams. This position reports to the Schaeffer Center’s Managing Director and will oversee the Center’s research analytic organization by:
- Overseeing all technical aspects and technological resources of the Schaeffer Center for the purpose of organizational growth
- Establishing a technological vision and leading the Center's technological development
- Providing leadership and direction for day-to-day project operations and administration
- Serving as the interface between technology teams and Center investigators.
- Identifying funding sources and opportunities. Authoring technical proposals and/or working with researchers and programmers to develop project proposals. Directing negotiations with funding agencies, exchanging information regarding project status to build and maintain rapport and enhance opportunities for additional funding.
- Assuming responsibility for planning, design and development of project protocols, personnel and budget administration, data acquisition and management, analysis and reporting of study results
- Overseeing and monitoring activities of the analytic personnel, organizing and assembling personnel, technology, processes, financial and data resources necessary to support the current and future analytic needs of the Center’s projects and teams
Successful candidates have demonstrated excellence in managing the execution of complex health policy analytical undertakings and teams, especially those relating to data, computational analyses, complex analytics and modeling. Candidates must have demonstrated ability to successfully develop and organize a strategic research, technology, and staff development agenda, execute and manage projects on a tight timeline, and provide measurable outcomes to document the project or team’s successes.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: In order for your application to be considered, a cover letter and resume must be attached.
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. in health services research, health economics or a related quantitative research field (e.g. biostatistics/epidemiology, applied statistics), preferably with 5 plus years of experience leading technology/analytic teams.
- The candidate must have an extensive project management background and possess exceptional interpersonal and communication (written and oral) skills.
- This is a full-time management position that requires strong organizational and managerial skills, the ability to work independently and as part of a team, budgeting, estimating and scheduling skills and an orientation to the details. The candidate must have experience supervising staff and managers.
- Extensive track-record (ten plus years) of work on large scale projects.
- Ability to balance numerous projects simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
- Proactive and customer-oriented.
- Superior presentation skills.
- Experience in health policy research and/or research consulting is desirable.
- Demonstrated track record in grant solicitation and publishing in peer reviewed journals is highly desired.
Competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Position is a FTE on a 2-year (renewable) fixed term.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
The University of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer that Values Diversity.
Minimum Education: Doctorate, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience: Over 10 years, Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience Minimum Field of Expertise: Education and experience directly related to field of research. Expert knowledge of field, statistical research, and fundraising.
REQ20066657 Posted Date: 05/07/2020 Apply