Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $5 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Research Lab Technician IIApply Administration Los Angeles, California
The USC Davis School of Gerontology is seeking a Research Lab Technician II to join its team!
This person will join a lab working on the molecular basis of aging and age-related diseases. This is an opportunity for a reliable and self-motivated person to participate in cutting-edge aging research. They will be working mainly with mouse cells and tissues, and will make original, scientific contributions to projects in the laboratory, in particular to analyze the genes controlling lifespan using molecular and cellular biology approaches. Primary responsibilities are to design and conduct experiments and developing protocols, procedures and analyzing results. Other duties include managing and genotyping a small colony of mouse models of aging and age-related diseases, as well as lab management support (i.e. ordering supplies and equipment, maintaining lab records, and making sure the lab is adhering to safety regulations).
Job responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Perform complex experiments for a major portion of the research project. Maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Manage a small to medium mouse colony (30-100 cages)
- Interpret and analyze results, often where few guidelines exist. Based on prior results, contribute to development of new research protocols and procedures or adaptation of existing protocols.
- Make recommendations on plan design and/or research direction to principal investigator.
- Work with health and safety department to ensure lab complies with regulations and all required trainings.
- Oversee supply and equipment budget under supervision of principal investigator.
- Perform ongoing literature review to remain current with new procedures and related research; present findings for lab work group.
- Contribute substantively to the preparation of papers for publication, especially in the results section. May contribute to publication of findings and present ongoing work and findings to colleagues at academic conferences.
- Supervise (either formally or informally) staff or students as needed, including oversight and instruction on techniques, as well as consultation on project work. Serve as technical resource for other research personnel.
- Perform general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed. May assist with purchasing laboratory equipment.
Our ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in biology or chemistry, or related field. They will be comfortable working with animals, in particular mice, and will have experience with PCR. This position requires strong organizational skills, and the ability to interact with the PI and others lab members on a daily basis.
Benefits include a competitive salary, a rich array of USC benefits including healthcare (including dental and vision), 403(b), tuition reimbursement, national holidays, paid vacation and more. This is a full-time salaried position that will require substantial commitment and flexibility.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance.
If you are interested, please submit your completed application. Please include a cover letter and resume with references. Thank you for your interest!
Minimum Education: Associate's degree, Specialized/technical training, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 2 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Working knowledge of laboratory equipment and research protocols. Knowledge of computer analysis techniques and ability to provide routine analysis and interpretation of research data.
REQ20045278 Posted Date: 05/31/2017 Apply