Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Research Programmer II - Center on Knowledge GraphsApply Viterbi School of Engineering Los Angeles, California
USC’s Information Sciences Institute (ISI), a unit of the university’s Viterbi School of Engineering, is a world leader in the research and development of advanced artificial intelligence, information processing, computing, cybersecurity, and communications technologies. ISI’s 400 faculty, professional staff and graduate students carry out extraordinary information sciences research at three distinct locations - Marina Del Rey, CA; Arlington, VA; and Waltham, MA.
*This position is located in Marina del Rey, CA.*
Information Sciences Institute (ISI) seeks a Research Programmer II for its Center on Knowledge Graphs.
Qualified candidates for this position must be willing and eligible to apply for and maintain a security clearance. Per government regulations, eligibility for this clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
- Serves as lead programmer or technical specialist on a research project(s). Develops or modifies large and complex system projects. Establishes project plans and schedules and monitors progress providing status reports as required. Utilizes creativity and innovation to solve conceptual programming problems raised by cutting edge research.
- Participates in research projects. Contributes to research designs, develops prototype implementations, and participates in the preparation of papers describing the research.
- Develops system definition, architecture and detailed needs analysis including hardware and software recommendations. Proposes alternative approaches and conducts evaluation and comparison.
- Oversees the design, coding, testing, debugging and documentation activities of project staff.
- Interfaces with researchers to identify and determine requirements. Conducts detailed systems analysis to define system scope, objectives and implementation approach.
- Collaborates with colleagues on research ideas and solutions. Works with staff and/or students providing guidance in system design and implementation.
- Contributes text to project reports and technical papers
- Establishes and implements user training programs, tutorials and other materials necessary to present and support research results.
- Suggests new avenues for research. Recognizes opportunities to adapt results for novel applications.
- Makes technical presentations and demonstrations at conferences and/or meetings.
- Stays informed of new developments and technologies by reading journals and other pertinent publications, maintaining contact with vendors, and participating in professional organizations, meetings and seminars.
- At least 2 years of experience programming in Python and Java
- Experience in agile development
The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
Minimum Education: Master's degree, Combined work experience and education as equivalent Minimum Experience: 3 years Minimum Field of Expertise: Relevant work experience to provide strong technical knowledge of programming and analysis as well as senior or lead experience. Demonstrated ability to stand in for researchers as circumstances require. Demonstrated creativity and innovation in solving conceptual programming problems.
REQ20102713 Posted Date: 07/12/2021 Apply