At USC Auxiliary Services, our mission is to create the best USC experience for our students, faculty, staff, visitors and community members, as we provide services across our six business units (Hospitality, Housing, Transportation, Bookstores, Radisson Hotel and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum). Auxiliary Services works diligently to welcome all visitors into the Trojan family and we are driven to succeed by our commitment to USC’s core values. Our team is comprised of some of the very best people in our industries, with diverse backgrounds and experiences, who come together to provide the best products and best service for all Trojans.
Restaurant Manager, University ClubApply USC Hospitality - Restaurants Los Angeles, California
From fine dining restaurants to residential dining, USC Hospitality serves over 65,000 students, athletes, faculty, and staff, as well as our many visitors. Hospitality is one of the six core business units that comprise USC Auxiliary Services and one of the largest employers on campus. We are renowned for our fresh take on self-operated food concepts with 43 restaurants between both campuses. The team at USC Hospitality is led by innovative executive chefs and directors who strive every day to craft nourishing and wholesome alternatives for our hungry Trojan Family and our guests.
The University Club at King Stoops Hall is a premier members’ only club and restaurant on USC’s campus. Our facilities include a full-service restaurant, seven banquet and meeting rooms, al fresco dining, and the Cammilleri Café. The University Club has a variety of spaces available for entertaining perfect for an informal lunch to celebrate a co-worker’s birthday, an elegant dinner in a private room to impress a potential donor, or a week-long conference for distinguished colleagues. Our team is proud to offer the best in food, service and amenities to its members in the aim of enhancing University life.
We are seeking a Restaurant Manager to join our rapidly growing team.
Enthusiastic, dedicated, supportive, and hardworking – these are just a few of the ways we describe our team. The Restaurant Manager will lead us in the pursuit of continued excellence, and will have a chance to make a difference in how this vision is achieved. As our coach and mentor, you will direct all of our fine dining operations, from employee management to event marketing. We are focused on creating a warm, welcoming, and inclusive environment for both our guests and our other team members. You will be responsible for furthering this passion and carrying on our USC pride!
- Provide customer service to students, faculty, staff and external customers. Meet customer needs, offer options, resolve problems, and follow up with customers. Maintain friendly, helpful demeanor.
- Supervise department employees and/or student workers, usually through one or more supervisors. Hire, onboard, and train restaurant staff. Evaluate employee performance and provide guidance and feedback. Counsel, discipline, or terminate employees. Oversee processing of time cards and delivery to payroll.
- Participate in planning and administration of restaurant budget. Monitor expense and labor costs to meet budget guidelines.
- Open and/or close restaurant. Direct staff in ensuring that restaurant is neat, orderly, and sufficiently stocked. Oversee physical inventory and the security of the restaurant.
- Coordinate with other departments as needed to provide customers with the highest, most rapid level of service possible.
- Participate in planning, implementing, and administering communications programs within the restaurant. Schedule and conduct staff meetings as least monthly and individual meetings within restaurant to facilitate attainment of restaurant objectives.
- Plan and administer special department or University events and assign or perform supervision of staff during events. Coordinate with Marketing Department for effective marketing and advertising of department products and promotions.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of all departmental and University policies and procedures, as well as applicable government and industry standards, and ensure adherence to them.
- Participate in strategic planning for restaurant and Hospitality. Participate in planning and implementing restaurant programs, projects, and activities.
- Advise regarding purchase and supply requirements, specifications, quantity and quality of merchandise, and delivery needs. Assist in obtaining proper specifications, quotations, delivery terms and costs. Explore and recommend alternatives to save money or improve delivery.
- Maintain automated systems used for menu management or purchasing functions such as inventory control, vendor contract information, cost control, and bid analysis. Maintain currency on latest products and trends by reading trade publications, attending seminars and trade shows, and developing and maintaining vendor contacts.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree.
- Experience: 3 years.
- Management in food service industry.
- Ability to supervise, train, and develop employees.
- Experience working in fast-paced, high-volume restaurant environment.
- Knowledge of standard food handling and sanitation procedures.
- Presents oneself professionally, in line with higher education environment.
What We Prefer:
- 5 years of experience.
- Strategic and tactical management experience in a fast-paced, high-volume restaurant environment.
- Knowledge of supply management, inventory ordering, and budgeting.
- USC Auxiliary Services management level experience.
The Trojan Family Rewards:
We pride ourselves in creating the BEST USC EXPERIENCE, and that begins with our employees! We offer a wide variety of benefits and programs that support our staff and their families including:
- Benefits: dental and vision plans, tuition assistance for our employees and their families, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, 2:1 retirement plan contributions, child care centers and up to $50,000 housing subsidy. And because we are a qualifying public service organization, you may qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) for educational loans. Don’t believe us? Visit benefits.usc.edu.
- Perks: discounts to USC sporting events, USC Bookstores, wireless plans, travel, accommodations, and local entertainment.
- Career Growth: We are the largest private employer in Los Angeles offering tremendous development opportunities in multiple fields and industries. The Trojan Network connects current and previous members of the Trojan family to create an endless professional network.
This support advocates work-life balance and employee well-being. As members of the Trojan family, employees are connected by the traditions and history that make us proud to be Trojans!
As an equal opportunity employer, USC values and promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. The work culture thrives on mutual respect, trust, and synergy amongst all of its members.
USC has great minds that transform the world with their talents and research. Will you be one? Join us!
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 3 years, Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience
Minimum Field of Expertise: Managerial and purchasing experience in similar type of division.
REQ20041422 Posted Date: 04/14/2017 Apply