"As provost, I know that our academic excellence depends on the contributions of all our faculty. Our faculty advance knowledge through our research, teach our talented students, and provide excellent health care to our patients. USC seeks to attract the best and brightest faculty, and we provide a collegial academic environment and employment conditions in which they can flourish and achieve academic success." Michael Quick, Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Science & Engineering Librarian (#338)Apply Science Library Los Angeles, California
The University of Southern California (USC) Libraries seek an innovative, service-oriented librarian to join the Science & Engineering Library. The librarian will provide expert in-person and virtual reference, instruction, and outreach services in addition to developing and managing collections in the sciences and engineering disciplines with an emphasis on chemistry, chemical engineering, and materials science. The librarian will establish effective communication channels within assigned disciplines and will identify and address the learning, teaching, and research needs of USC students, faculty, and staff. This position requires a commitment to developing student-focused services and a combination of skills and confidence that will contribute to the transformation of instruction, outreach, reference, and collections at USC Libraries.
This position requires a commitment to developing student-focused services and a combination of skills and confidence that will contribute to the transformation of instruction, outreach, reference, and collections at USC Libraries. We seek candidates motivated by a passion to develop transformative library services and invested in the future of librarianship. The successful candidate is expected to be creative in identifying and solving problems within a collegial and collaborative environment. The successful candidate must be knowledgeable of current relevant library and scholarly information trends and practices, and be able to apply this understanding to make a significant, positive impact on the USC community. Duties include weekend and evening hours.
THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
The University of Southern California is one of the world’s leading private research universities. An anchor institution in Los Angeles, a global center for arts, technology, and international business, USC’s diverse curricular offerings provide extensive opportunities for interdisciplinary study, and collaboration with leading researchers in highly advanced learning environments. With a strong tradition of integrating liberal and professional education, USC fosters a vibrant culture of public service and encourages students to cross academic as well as geographic boundaries in their pursuit of knowledge. For more information, visit www.usc.edu.
The USC Libraries actively support the discovery, creation, and preservation of knowledge. We develop collections and services that support and encourage the academic endeavors of faculty, students, and staff; value serving a culturally diverse community; build a community of critical consumers of information; and help develop engaged world citizens. Through these means, we contribute to the continued success of the University of Southern California. The USC Libraries includes the Doheny Memorial Library and fourteen specialized libraries with an operating budget of approximately $41 million. Through an active outreach program librarians and staff at USC Libraries conduct orientations, workshops, and instruction sessions that reach thousands of undergraduate and graduate students annually. For more information, visit libraries.usc.edu.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Reporting to the Head, Science & Engineering Library, the Science and Engineering Librarian will:
- Provide teaching and research-focused information services, including developing and conducting instruction programs focused on advanced resources for undergraduate and graduate students in physical sciences and engineering fields
- Collaborate with other subject librarians and staff to provide effective reference, instruction, and outreach services for USC undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, and staff
- Conduct more generalized instruction for USC’s international student population and students in the USC Writing Program
- Work collaboratively with other subject selectors, faculty, and students on collection development activities by selecting resources physical sciences, engineering, mathematics, computer science and in other disciplines as assigned
- Assess the learning and research needs of faculty and students in the sciences and engineering departments and research centers, and identify ways to meet them
- Develop appropriate resources, services, and communication channels to further the academic and research endeavors of faculty, staff, and students in the science and engineering fields
- Create and maintain library web pages and research guides related to subject responsibilities and incorporate appropriate technologies and techniques to deliver services
- Participate in library and other committees as assigned
- Engagement in professional and/or subject discipline organizations, research, or publishing that will have a significant, positive impact on the Science & Engineering Library, and the advance the USC Libraries’ strategic plan and the University’s strategic vision
- Provide evening and weekend service as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum qualifications: MLS from an ALA-accredited program or non-U.S. equivalent is typically required for a librarian appointment at USC. In addition, candidates must have an undergraduate degree in chemistry, biology, or other related areas in the physical sciences and engineering, such as chemical engineering, material science, or petroleum engineering. In addition, candidates must provide evidence of:
- Knowledge of science information resources and research methods in an academic, research, or special library setting
- A strong commitment to public services and user-centered reference and instructional services within an academic or research library setting
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Experience in solving problems independently and collaboratively
- Knowledge of current professional trends, especially those relating to reference, collection development, and instructional services to a diverse population on and off campus
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Advanced degree in the sciences or engineering
- Experience providing reference, information literacy instruction, collection development, and/or outreach services
- Knowledge of and recent experience in the use of instructional technology to improve learning outcomes
- Experience using tools for web authoring, social computing, and online collaboration; knowledge of trends and policy issues related to digital technology and electronic resources
- Experience managing projects in a library, academic, or information environment
- Engagement in professional and/or subject discipline organizations, research, or publishing that will have a significant, positive impact on the provision of service to the USC Libraries
- Knowledge of trends in scientific research and scientific data management.
FACULTY APPOINTMENT RANK/SALARY
Rank: Open Rank
Rank and salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
This is a full-time, continuing appointment track position with faculty status. Appointment to the continuing appointment track requires the potential to meet the University’s criteria for granting continuing appointment—excellence in librarianship—which librarians achieve by having a significant impact on the development and/or implementation of high-quality collections and/or services. Additionally, librarians must demonstrate the expectation of continued excellence and growth in profession expertise. For more information on Guidelines on Criteria and Qualifications for the Appointment, Promotion and Continuing Appointment of Librarians on the Continuing Appointment Track, see: http://www.usc.edu/libraries/about/faculty/documents/Criteria_document07152008.pdf
Benefits include a choice of retirement programs, 22 paid vacation days per year, university holidays, a choice of medical and dental plans, and tuition assistance (for employees and eligible dependents). For more information about benefits see, http://www.usc.edu/benefits.
As part of the application, candidates must upload one document file (Word or PDF) that contains the following: 1) a cover letter, 2) a curriculum vitae (including telephone and e-mail address), and 3) a list of at least three references that includes the name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address for each referee.
Position open until filled.
For more information about this position, contact Zoe Unno, Chair of the Search Committee, at email@example.com
USC is an equal-opportunity educator and employer, proudly pluralistic and firmly committed to providing equal opportunity for outstanding persons of every race, gender, creed, and background. The university particularly encourages members of underrepresented groups, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply. USC will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship. Further information is available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
REQ20038154 Posted Date: 09/13/2017 Apply