Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $5 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Senior Agreement AdministratorApply USC Stevens Center for Innovation Los Angeles, California
The University of Southern California (“USC”) is a leading private research university located in the heart of Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks (https://employees.usc.edu/benefits-perks/) and be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work.
The USC Stevens Center for Innovation (“USC Stevens”), USC’s Technology Transfer Office, is a university-wide resource for USC innovators in the office of the Provost. Designed to harness and advance the creative thinking and breakthrough research at USC for societal impact beyond traditional academic means stemming from an approximately $800 million annual research budget, USC Stevens focuses on the licensing of technologies, expanding industry collaborations and supporting start-ups (https://stevens.usc.edu). USC Stevens is unique as it is partially endowed by a generous donation from USC Trustee and Sequoia Capital partner Mark Stevens. The Center reports to the Vice President of Research and has the full support of the USC Provost.
USC Stevens is seeking outstanding candidates for the position of Senior Agreement Administrator to join its team. Under the direction of the Director of Operations and Finance, the Senior Agreement Administrator will manage, organize, and implement all department contract administration and compliance activities. The successful candidate will be highly motivated, organized, detail-oriented, collaborative, committed to delivering high-quality work, have excellent written and oral communication skills and thrive in a fast-paced environment. If you think you have got what it takes, please continue reading!
- Conducts reviews and investigations of potential compliance violations for all existing contracts/agreements. Advises on specific corrective actions as appropriate and coordinates process to compliance resolution. Initiates, develops, manages, and delivers pertinent documents, comprehensive reports, notices of breach, and termination letters as required. Communicates with internal and external stakeholders to ensure all necessary individuals or agencies are timely notified of pertinent information relative to contracts/agreements to ensure compliance
- Reviews and analyzes new and/or continuing contracts/agreements to ensure terms comply with department’s compliance program, policies, and procedures. Conducts contract/agreement review audits in the department’s database(s) to ensure compliance. Annually sends out current intellectual property docket to all active licensees and confirms accuracy. Reviews licensee royalty and development reports and monitors for reasonableness and accuracy, including follow up with licensee as necessary. Resolves and/or takes necessary actions to remediate issues found. Ensures all information is accurate and timely entered and maintained in department’s database(s)
- Administers and manages contract/agreement terms, deadlines, and deliverables to ensure internal and external stakeholders needs or obligations are met. Reviews and notifies appropriate department staff, agencies, or vendors of all contract/agreement related updates. Ensures all performance responsibilities outlined by the contract/agreement are fulfilled and timely. Consistently reviews and monitors performance during the duration of the contract/agreement
- Leads the development and implementation of contract compliance administration program including the development and maintenance of standard operating procedures. Reviews, recommends, creates, and modifies policies and procedures to ensure compliance with the University, regulatory and private or other sponsors’ regulations and requirements
- Administers and monitors contracts/agreements to ensure compliance with applicable local, state and federal laws, rules and regulations. Responsible for all government compliance requirements under Bayh-Dole Act. Interfaces directly with government agencies. Researches University, federal, state, and local laws and requirements and their effect on agreements and contracts
- Administers contract/agreement terms to ensure private entities or sponsors’ information is correctly recorded for invention disclosure records in department database(s). Obtains copies of sponsor agreements and update records with summary of obligations. Ensures all obligations to sponsors are met, including reports, notifications and payments
- Develops, modifies, and maintains systems, processes, and/or procedures to facilitate departmental operations specific to contract terms and compliance matters. Develops and implements education and training programs related to contract administration and compliance. Identifies and develops tools and techniques as necessary to ensure departmental compliance
- Leads and coordinates administration of the University’s policies regarding distributions of revenues received under license agreements or other commercialization agreements. Develops and implements processes and procedures for policy administration. Conducts complex research, analyses and calculations of amounts to be distributed in accordance with University policies. Ensures all information necessary to determine distribution amounts is audited, accurate, and complete, and that distributions are timely made in accordance with the University’s policies. Interfaces with faculty, University offices, and staff
- Acts as key resource for contract administration and compliance information for the division, department, or unit. Administers, implements and interprets contract/agreement policies, procedures and guidelines. Provides guidance and makes recommendations to staff members related to contract/agreement and compliance guidelines and procedures
- Leads development and implementation of department’s audit program. Serves as principal administrator of audit program, including coordination of process to select audit targets, selection of audit firms, leading audits through completion, and resolving issues identified in audit results
- Coordinates maintenance of detailed records, documents, correspondences, modifications, recordings, filings, and payments. Prepares and distributes information to appropriate individuals regarding aspects of the contract/agreement. Coordinates necessary closing tasks and provision of summaries to related parties. Develops and distributes reports as necessary
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Education: Master’s degree
Experience: 5 years
Field of Experience: Three years of experience in a technology transfer environment. Understanding of terms and conditions of government requirements related to technology transfer and commercialization including but not limited to the Bayh-Dole Act. Experience administering technology transfer activities relating to scientific discoveries and inventions. Knowledge of patent prosecution process.
Education: Bachelor’s degree
Experience: 5 years
Field of Experience: Fiveyears of experience in contract administration. Substantial knowledge of applicable legal terms and conditions, and the ability to analyze business practices in light of contractual requirements. Demonstrated experience in stakeholder management, able to understand the timing and cycles of contract administration. Proven ability to interpret applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and policies. Demonstrated analytical and reading comprehension skills, with proven attention to detail for managing multiple projects simultaneously and consistently meeting deadlines. Excellent oral and written communication skills, and an ability to teach or train others. Strong organizational and problem-solving skills. Ability to work with staff, leadership, and relevant stakeholders of varied seniority levels. Demonstrated interpersonal skills to help foster trust, collaboration, transparency, and accountability with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds and potentially conflicting interests.
USC strongly values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
Note: A complete application includes a cover letter and resume which may be uploaded in one document (Word or PDF). Incomplete applications may not receive consideration.
Responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining a contracts administration and compliance program in accordance with the University’s policies and procedures, government agencies’ regulations and requirements, or other outside entities’ requirements. Reviews and investigates contract/agreement disclosures, terms, and conditions for compliance violations and leads the remediation and resolution process. Administers University’s policies regarding distributions of revenues received under license agreements or other commercialization agreements. Leads department’s audit program. Communicates and works with internal and external stakeholders on contract and agreement matters as necessary. Interfaces with government agencies regarding Bayh-Dole Act reporting and compliance matters. Develops and implements education and training programs related to contract administration and compliance. Serves as a key resource for contract administration and compliance information for the division, department, or unit.
REQ20076462 Posted Date: 08/19/2019 Apply