Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Senior Director, Career ConnectionsApply Viterbi School of Engineering Los Angeles, California
The USC Viterbi School of Engineering (https://viterbischool.usc.edu/) seeks a career services professional to serve as the Senior Director of Career Connections. The Senior Director of Career Connections within the Viterbi School of Engineering leads, develops, and implements all initiatives related to the career readiness services, resources, and programming to meet the career needs of all engineering undergraduate and graduate students. In addition, the Senior Director leads a team of career services professionals and regularly engages with engineering academic departments, partners across the USC campus, and external corporate recruiters to lead career readiness activities and engagement programs for engineering students.
The Viterbi Career Connections area is part of Viterbi Admission and Student Engagement. The Senior Director of Career Connections reports to the Associate Dean for Corporate Engagement and Programs.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership, Strategic Planning, and Implementation
- Supervises, manages and provides daily guidance to a team of career services professionals that advise and develop career readiness activities and programming for 9,000+ undergraduate and graduate engineering students.
- Conducts performance evaluations of assigned career services staff members; designs agendas and initiates and facilitates staff meetings; responsible for performance management of direct reports.
- Manages budgets for all engineering career services activities
- Serves as the Viterbi School’s subject matter expert for engineering industry and employer trends; surveying and leading listening sessions to remain engaged with corporate partners.
- Collaborates with leadership to maximize career services’ quality and visibility to students and employers; supports organizational mission and strategic change, performing benchmarking and research for best practices.
- Represents career services at student and faculty meetings, employer engagement initiatives, and relevant professional organization meetings/conferences.
- Leads the communication, outreach, and collection of the First Destination Survey, providing career outcomes for graduating undergraduate and graduate engineering students.
- Reviews and provides recommendations on tools and resources utilized for career related programming (i.e., job boards, virtual platforms, etc.).
- Collaborates with academic departments and offices to implement programs supporting career readiness activities.
- Maintains professional connections with career, hiring, and employment trends in various industries and job markets. Engage with professional associations such as NACE, MPACE, and others leading career services in higher education.
- Promotes an environment that fosters inclusive relationships and creates unbiased opportunities for contributions through ideas, words, and actions that uphold principles of the USC Code of Ethics.
Student Career Readiness and Programming
- Provides leadership in measuring and assessing student career readiness for 9,000+ engineering students; adjusting programming and activities as needed.
- Leads the development and implementation of career readiness activities and programming for the engineering student population. Programs and services include but are not limited to one-to-one career advisement, small group career advisement, professional development workshops, networking events, recruitment events, employer information sessions, on-campus interviews, and off-site experiential visits.
- Familiarity with leading career services initiatives for niche student populations, such as international students
- Assesses student career development plans matching student interests, current marketplace hiring trends, and demands.
Data Analysis and Reporting
- Manage and provide regular analysis and recommendations on the state of engineering career opportunities within the Viterbi School of Engineering. Existing reports include but are not limited to the following: Internship Course for Credit Reports; Curricular Practical Training Reports; Employer Engagement/ Recruitment Reports; First Destination Survey Reports, by department and as an aggregate; Annual Career Connections Report
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s degree or Relevant Experience
- Seven or more years working in higher education
- Seven or more years of related career services programming experience
- Experience working with international student populations
- Experience working with engineering industry or disciplines
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills; detail oriented when reviewing print and web communication
- Experience with data analysis and relevant tools (i.e., Tableau, MS Excel, etc.)
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse constituency of students, faculty, deans, academic advisors, and administrative staff
- Creative and analytical thinker regarding programmatic offerings, with the skills to implement and manage projects
- Knowledge of USC student and academic programs, policies, and procedures; knowledge of Viterbi School operations
Required Applicant Documents:
- Cover Letter
REQ20119348 Posted Date: 06/27/2022 - Thru date - 2022-10-01 Apply