Information Technology Services
At Information Technology Services, our goal is to be the university's trusted business partner by creating a culture of exceptional customer service. Bringing together a team of diverse and talented professionals, we provide the central IT services that support USC's schools, hospitals, research centers, and administrative units. Through our recently launched digital transformation initiatives, we aim to develop an environment of continuous service improvement, founded on cross-functional teamwork, industry best practices, innovation, and commitment to the customer experience.
Senior Platform Architect (ITS)Apply Platform Services ITS Los Angeles, California
The University of Southern California (USC) Information Technology Services is seeking a talented Senior Platform Architect with an exceptional commitment to excellence to join its team. As the Senior Platform Architect, you will be an integral member of the Platform Services team, collaborating with diverse and talented team members to help solve multidimensional information technology problems, improve customer experience, and generate value for our campus stakeholders across a broad base of departments and constituencies.
ITS has embarked on a major Digital Transformation initiative to continually improve services to faculty, staff, and students, and support USC ascent as a leading institution of higher education. That future ITS vision aligns strategy, business, and services, affirms ITS cultural values, empowers cross-functional teamwork, embraces world-class best practices, and promotes innovation, excellence, agility, and efficiency.
To achieve that future vision, ITS is committed to providing: a modern technology infrastructure that is resilient and delivers the performance to meet demands of a growing customer base, training on the latest technologies to its highly productive and motivated workforce, outstanding customer experience, and technology services aligned with the mission of the university to benefit learning opportunities for students.
For ITS employees, the future is one where they can develop key, cutting edge skills, take pride in the services they provide, and have access to roles and career paths that align to their abilities and potential.
We are looking for top talent to join us on our journey.
The USC ITS organization is a diverse and talented team that supports a collaborative culture and delivers secure and innovative IT services core to the mission of USC. ITS values accountability, excellence, and commitment to exceptional customer experience. The supportive and inclusive culture encourages employees to do their best work every day. ITS strives for a culture where individuals are recognized and celebrated for their uniqueness. USC offers the flexibility through well-being programs to help individuals lead productive and balanced lives.
USC is a leading private research university in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. It serves over 47,500 students primarily in the main LA campus but also in various U.S. and global satellite locations. As Los Angeles’ largest private employer, responsible for $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits as a member of the Trojan Family ‐ the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work.
Come join the ITS team and work as a trusted partner in shaping an environment of innovation and excellence for the university.
The candidate for the position of Senior Platform Architect must meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer information systems, or related field or equivalent experience
- Nine years of experience in information technology, platform services, database administration, server and storage administration, or software engineering
- Extensive expertise in database technologies such as Oracle, MS SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Access, SimpleDB, and cloud database services
- Experience and leading-edge knowledge of Windows and Linux Operating Systems, and virtualization technologies, such as VMware
- Knowledge of SAN, NAS, DASD, Fiberchannel and/or cloud storage environments
- Experience migrating server workloads to IaaS platforms like AWS, Azure or GCP
- Experience with virtualization technologies like VMWare
- Knowledge of software development with object-oriented languages like Python, Java, or C++ using SOA principles
- Extensive experience upgrading and maintaining platform services
- Demonstrated technology fluency with understanding of industry and marketplace evolutions, vendor product offerings and common and emerging platform solutions in use across the industry
- Ability to create presentation material, generate reports, and present to appropriate stakeholders including leadership
- Ability to collaborate across an organization and effectively communicate or negotiate with others
- Experience working in a project-based environment including the ability to report on project status, evaluate project risks, and escalate project issues
- Strong collaboration, communication, management and leadership skills
- Experience working in a project-based environment and exhibiting excellent project management skills
- Experience working with the software development life cycle (SDLC) methodology
The ideal candidate for the position of Senior Platform Architecthas the following qualifications:
- Advanced degree in computer science, computer information systems, or related field
- 11 years of experience in Information Technology, Platform Services, Database Administration, Server & Storage, Software Engineering
- Experience implementing next-generation platform solutions such as PaaS, cloud computing services, and serverless computing solutions that enable AI or machine learning, etc.
- Experience with cloud platform automation and orchestration methodologies and tools
WORK YOU’LL DO
The Senior Platform Architect is responsible for advancing the strategy and priorities of platform services for ITS and the university. This role is charged with increasing the innovative capabilities of server, storage, and database technologies. The Senior Platform Architect conceptualizes the platform services architecture by identifying business requirements, creating designs and prototypes, and executing testing activities. The Senior Platform Architect develops overall platform standards, guidelines, leading edge practices, and approved techniques and approaches for the organization. The Senior Platform Architect acts as a thought leader for the organization's platform vision and goals. As a member of ITS, the Senior Platform Architect demonstrates ITS values in action.
- Conceptualize the next generation platform architecture by identifying business requirements, creating designs and prototypes, leading testing activities, and conducting training and adoption. Develop overall platform standards, guidelines, leading edge practices, and approved techniques and approaches for maintenance and upgrades. Perform modeling and planning of servers and storage
- Review and analyze existing platform infrastructure and the ability of the infrastructure to support strategic organizational objectives and goals. Assist in the development of strategic platform technology roadmaps
- Act as a thought leader for the organization's platform vision and goals. Gain insights and anticipate customer pain points, challenges and needs. Identify business value opportunities for customers, partners, and key stakeholders in administrative and academic units. Seek to deliver quality solutions
- Lead the innovation process by leveraging latest industry knowledge. Learn and adapt quickly to new situations, changing priorities, and disruptive technologies. Take the initiative to experiment with new ideas and technologies. Continuously improve platform services
- Develop rigorous testing and implementation strategies to ensure stability of servers, databases, and storage platforms. Identify operational opportunities and gaps. Implement solutions that solve platform challenges while meeting business objectives. Investigate opportunities to improve performance while reducing spend
- Participate in disaster recovery planning, development, exercises, testing, and actual disaster or emergency events working in collaboration with security and other teams to create and maintain a secure infrastructure
- Contribute to an inclusive environment that values differences by building and maintaining collaborative relationships with team members, peers, and ITS leaders. Actively embody ITS values and behaviors including accountability, ethics and best-in-class customer service. Contribute to a culture of trust and transparency by sharing information broadly, openly, and deliberately
- Support the vision for Platform Engineering. Work closely with team members and management to implement and support effective solutions for Platform Services. Maintain currency with technology, standards, and best practices. Support process improvement efforts within the team and across ITS
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time
Come and join the ITS team – a team that works as trusted partners shaping an environment of innovation and excellence for the university.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience: 9 years
REQ20083394 Posted Date: 09/14/2020 Apply