Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Senior Research Analyst, Evaluation Improvement (EI)Apply Keck School of Medicine Los Angeles, California
Join our team as the Evaluation Improvement (EI) Senior Research Analyst!
The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the "Trojan Family," which is comprised of the faculty, students and staff that make the university what it is.
The Southern California Clinical and Translational Science Institute (SC CTSI) supports clinical and translational research and is part of a broad national network of over 60 institutions with Clinical and Translational Science Awards (CTSAs) from the National Institutes of Health that work to translate research into better health. A crucial component of the SC CTSI’s success is a rigorous approach to evaluation and improvement for local projects and processes coupled with effective participation in quality and improvement with the national CTSA consortium. We are seeking an experienced Senior Research Analyst to support evaluation efforts and manage analysis of priority data for the Institute to help ensure that SC CTSI continues to be an effective data- and metrics-driven organization.
The EI Senior Research Analyst will report to the EI Associate Director and collaborate with other leaders to support with programmatic evaluation and improvement, including development and collection of identified metrics; facilitating data capture and tracking of program success and performance against desired targets and outcomes; analyzing program and institute data and developing systems to monitor progress and gauge impact; and developing and completing reports.
50% Assist with development and implementation of program evaluations, and conduct robust analyses
- Assist with development, implementation and management of evaluations for SC CTSI to inform programmatic and institute decision-making, assess impact, and measure success across programs by using various methodologies (mixed-methods, quantitative, qualitative--surveys, focus groups, and financial analyses, ROIs, etc.).
- Use advanced analytical skills to conduct quantitative and qualitative analyses to advance performance management, continuous quality improvement (CQI), evaluations and demonstration of impact. Advance innovative approaches for analyses and development of analytical plans.
- Support in developing a coordinated approach to metric development, analysis and tracking.
- Facilitate regular and timely collection of high-quality and valid data, enable tracking using existing resources (suggest improvements to expand and refine datasets as needed).
- Employ existing and new tools and methods to interpret data, perform statistical analyses appropriate to data and uses, and visualize multivariate relationships in data.
- Continuously improve data management practices and systems, and inform plans for expanding technical capabilities, improving potential analyses and presentation of findings.
40% Contribute to performance and impact reporting
- Leverage analytical and evaluative skills to develop or refine reports that meet compliance and CQI needs, and communicate lessons learned, best practices and impact.
- Support in developing, strengthening or implementing systems by which programs’ progress toward goals, performance and impact on SC CTSI metrics, and programmatic data can be reported and assessed (ex: dashboards, and other approaches to real-time monitoring).
- Coordinate completion and submission of annual reports to funders.
- Develop reports and visuals to tell SC CTSI stories to a variety of audiences (through various tools such as presentations, templates, dashboards, data placemats, memos or briefs, etc.).
10% Contribute to the functioning of a high-performing, collaborative team
- Develop strong working relationships with SC CTSI leaders to support analysis, evaluation and reporting needs (through communications, relationship building, coordination sharing back data, and development of helpful planning tools).
- Support in implementing and tracking departmental performance management plan.
- Identify challenges and opportunities to meet goals and timelines (with a particular focus on robust analyses and evaluation projects). Work with Associate Director and other Institute members as needed to develop process improvements.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Analytical: Advanced analytical skills with demonstrated experience in: developing evaluation frameworks and relevant data collection tools and methods; proven data management skills; experience with quantitative and qualitative analytical tools (see details below); experience coordinating and completing research projects related to translational science, clinical research, public health and community/social programs; and implementation of best approaches to compile, analyze and present data for different audiences and purposes.
- Communication: Excellent communication skills as evidenced by preparation of oral and written materials for various audiences including presentations, proposals, reports, and memoranda; understanding of how to manage and communicate sensitive information when needed. Able to establish relationships with others, working laterally and above, and effectively collaborate.
- Organizational: Exceptionally well-organized with demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize multiple assignments and responsibilities. Experience maintaining well-organized, accessible files.
- Time and Resource Management: Strong project management skills. Demonstrated experience completing multiple priorities within assigned timeframe and under pressure of deadlines.
- Quality of Work: Must have close attention to detail and meticulously prepare assigned reports, plans, and other deliverables within assigned timeframe.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Graduate level health or social science background (e.g., public health, sociology, psychology, anthropology) or equivalent experience in relevant quantitative or qualitative research environment
- Advanced analytical skills to evaluate, analyze and report on evaluation data; SPSS or experience with other statistical analysis packages (STATA, R, etc.), and qualitative data analysis software (ex: NVivo), preferred.
- Experience with collection and organization of large data sets using Excel and other data management or statistical analysis software. Proven understanding and experience in sound data visualization practices, use of data visualization software a plus (ex: Tableau or Power BI).
- Demonstrated experience supporting and/or coordinating data-driven evaluation or research projects.
- Experience collaborating with others to identify data management, analysis and evaluation needs, and implementing plans accordingly.
- Experience establishing data management systems, automating reports and dashboards.
- Proactive, effective problem-solver, exercises good judgment when asking for support.
- Demonstrates flexibility, adaptability and resourcefulness when confronted with shifting priorities.
- Able to handle a fast-paced environment, ensuring focus while maintaining flexible, open attitude to opportunities for improvement or change.
- Familiarity with the National Institutes of Health granting mechanisms and specifically with the Clinical and Translational Science Awards program.
- Experience in academic settings; knowledge of USC administrative operating procedures and relevant USC policy
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
Location: Los Angeles, Health Science Campus at the University of Southern California
Employment Type: Full Time (Non-Exempt), Grant Funded
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree Minimum Experience: 2 years Minimum Field of Expertise: Advanced working knowledge of the Microsoft Suite specifically Excel and PowerPoint and the Adobe Creative Suite. Experience in data visualization and/or information design, creating clear, concise products (e.g., graphics, tables, maps). Experience with and/or certification for data visualization tools (e.g., Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, Qlik) and methodologies. Demonstrated experience creating high-volume databases for enterprise grade solutions. Experience working in cross-functional project teams and with large design efforts. Proven, advanced data modeling and translation skills for high-performance physical database design. Excellent organizational skills, able to set priorities and manage multiple projects. Exemplary communication skills, able to develop positive working relationships and strong rapport with team members, and interact with a diverse community of colleagues and stakeholders. Preferred Education: Master's degree Preferred Experience: 4 years
REQ20094603 Posted Date: 12/06/2020 Apply