Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Senior Software EngineerApply ICT Los Angeles, California
The University of Southern California Institute for Creative Technologies (USC ICT) is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to strengthen its central tech integration group, with 7 years industry experience and can design, code, test, and deploy complex, distributed, integrated platforms in support of military simulations and virtual humans research and development.
- Provide direction on the overall architecture of our rapidly growing in-house developed R&D platform
- Design and develop major new areas and APIs for the platform, including game-engine, local libraries, and cloud-based features
- Work with researchers and developers to design, develop, test, and document new systems within the platform
- Provide guidance to other research and development groups on how to properly leverage and develop for the platform
- Work with designers, artists, researchers, and other programmers to stand up, expand and polish Unity-based military prototypes and applications
- Create examples, tutorials, and documentation in support of researchers and developers
- Resolve technical problems related to Unity, C#, and other tools and operating systems
- Work closely with other programmers and artists to solve various design, pipeline and/or programming issues
Preferred skills and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience with a strong background in C#
- 7+ years’ experience in software/game development
- Expertise with Unity and Unreal Engine
- Multi-platform programming experience (e.g., Windows, iOS, Android, web, Mac OS, AR, VR)
- Web services programming and/or DevOps experience, including using, developing and deploying with common cloud service providers (e.g., AWS, Azure)
- Strong knowledge of programming/scripting languages and debugging techniques (e.g., MS Visual Studio, Python)
- Expert in software development lifecycle best practices (e.g., versioning w/ Git or SVN, unit testing, documentation generation)
- Digital character creation experience a plus
- Tools design and development a plus
- Demonstrated problem solving ability
- Desire to collaborate in a research environment
- Ability to quickly assimilate new information
- Desire to expand knowledge base
- Attention to detail
- Good communication skills
Why work at USC ICT
- Work on exciting and engaging projects that have real-life impact
- Small project team environment allows for involvement across entire project lifecycle
- A quality work-life balance
- Meet interesting people from all walks of life: technologists, social scientists, military experts, creative writers, etc.
- Opportunities for free, top-tier university education for you and your children
- Located in the heart of Silicon Beach
- Be part of both the research and development of tomorrow
- Flexible schedule
- Great benefits, including medical, continued education, and matched retirement, see http://benefits.usc.edu
About USC ICT
The University of Southern California's Institute for Creative Technologies (USC ICT) is where academia, entertainment, and the military meet. Located in the heart of Silicon Beach in Playa Vista, no other institute offers a more diverse collaborative environment where basic and applied research work hand-in-hand to transition cutting-edge technologies.
We are world leaders in virtual human research, computer graphics, computer training simulations, learning sciences, body computing, and immersive experiences for decision-making, cultural awareness, leadership and health. ICT employees are encouraged to develop themselves both professionally and personally, through workshops, invited guest talks, movie nights, social events, various sports teams, a private gym and a personal trainer. The atmosphere at ICT is relaxed, informal and flexible, while encouraging initiative, personal responsibility, and a high work ethic.
REQ20116061 Posted Date: 04/24/2022 Apply