Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Specialized Equipment ManagerApply Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences Los Angeles, California
The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is in the heart of downtown L.A. and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the "Trojan Family," which is comprised of the faculty, students, and staff that make the university what it is.
The Chemistry Department is seeking a Manager of the Instrumentation Facilities (https://dornsife.usc.edu/chemistry/facilities-shops/). We are looking for an instrumentation facilities manager with a Ph.D. or equivalent degree with expertise in X-ray crystallography. Additional experience in optical spectroscopy or analytical instrumentation is highly desired. This person will work with the Director of Chemistry Instrumentation Resources, faculty core managers, and departmental staff. This person will take an active role in managing and expanding instrumentation capabilities to ensure research and educational needs within the department are provided.
- Doctor of Philosophy degree or equivalent in Chemistry, Biology or Physics
- Field of expertise in X-ray crystallography. Additional experience in optical spectroscopy or analytical instrumentation.
- Technical skills in instrument troubleshooting and repair, calibration, and computer maintenance are highly desirable.
- Direct supervisor is the Director of Chemistry Instrumentation Resources
- Partner with faculty core manager and other departmental staff (IT, facility, etc.)
- Oversee and maintain staff or super user coverage for certain instrumentation.
(1) Manage the X-ray Diffraction Facility:
- Responsible for the routine operation of X-ray diffractometers, including single crystal and powder XRD instruments. Monitor the status of the instruments; carry out routine maintenance/calibration/repair and contact service if needed; keep software, license, and databases up to date.
- Responsible for XRD user training, radiation safety compliance, and management. Conduct user training and registration; maintain the required user documentations; manage and monitor users to maintain the proper standard on instrument operation.
- Assist on solving X-ray structures. Consult with users on data set solutions; determine structures for research groups that do not have an authorized user; determine structures for outside users.
- Support and participate in instructional activities of X-ray diffraction courses.
- Support and participate in funding raising to maintain and expand X-ray diffraction instrument capabilities.
(2) Manage the Optical Instrumentation Facility:
- Responsible for the routine operation of the Chemistry optical instruments, current list available online @ https://dornsife.usc.edu/chemistry/facilities-shops/.
- Monitor the status of the instruments; carry out routine maintenance/calibration/repair and contact service if needed; keep software, license, and databases up to date.
- Responsible for optical instrument user training and management. Conduct user training and registration; maintain the required user documentations; manage and monitor users to maintain the proper standard on instrument operation.
- Support and participate in fund raising to maintain and expand optical instrumentation capabilities.
(3) Provide support in certain areas of overall operation of the Chemistry Instrumentation Facility. Some examples are:
- Monitor space access, including key distribution and programming locks and maintain security cameras and video backup.
- Manage cryogens and maintain data integrity infrastructure, network and data security relevant to instruments.
- Assist in procurement of new and replacement specialized equipment and materials.
- Maintain awareness and knowledge of current changes in regulatory and safety requirements for core instrumentation and update senior management.
- Monitor instrumentation utilization and verify billing information for supervised equipment.
Resume and cover letter required (may be uploaded as one file). In addition, please provide the names and contact details for three references who can speak to your abilities and match to this position. Please do not submit your application without these documents.
Salary range: The annual base salary range for this position is $80,223 - $91,520. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Required Documents and Additional Information:
- Resume and cover letter required (may be uploaded as one file). Please do not submit your application without these documents.
- Job openings are posted for a minimum of (5) business days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended, so please apply on the same business day if interested.
- USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for staff and their family with access to the renowned university medical network; eligibility for retirement plans with employer contributions after six months of employment; tuition benefits for staff and their family; free Professional Development classes; central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, buses and free tram pick up services; discounts on sporting, recreation, art venues, and other campus events.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
The University of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer that Values Diversity.
Minimum Education: Specialized/technical training, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience: 2 years Minimum Field of Expertise: Knowledge of particular specialized equipment plus experience in stockroom supervision.
REQ20132594 Posted Date: 04/20/2023 Apply
With just one click and a connection to LinkedIn, we can connect you with jobs that match your work experience.Start matchingto jobs with your LinkedIn account
Recently added jobs
- Environmental Services Worker - EVS - Full Time 8 Hour Evenings (Non-Exempt) (Union) Los Angeles, California REQ20134533
- Employee Engagement Specialist Los Angeles, California REQ20132502
- Adjunct Instructor of Quality of Care Los Angeles, California REQ20134673