At USC Auxiliary Services, our mission is to create the best USC experience for our students, faculty, staff, visitors and community members, as we provide services across our six business units (Hospitality, Housing, Transportation, Bookstores, Radisson Hotel and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum). Auxiliary Services works diligently to welcome all visitors into the Trojan family and we are driven to succeed by our commitment to USC’s core values. Our team is comprised of some of the very best people in our industries, with diverse backgrounds and experiences, who come together to provide the best products and best service for all Trojans.
Station Chef II, The LabApply USC Hospitality - The Lab Los Angeles, California
From fine dining restaurants to residential dining, USC Hospitality serves over 65,000 students, athletes, faculty, and staff, as well as our many visitors. Hospitality is one of the six core business units that comprise USC Auxiliary Services and one of the largest employers on campus. We are renowned for our fresh take on self-operated food concepts with 43 restaurants between both campuses. The team at USC Hospitality is led by innovative executive chefs and directors who strive every day to craft nourishing and wholesome alternatives for our hungry Trojan Family and our guests.
The science of fun and fine dining is artfully executed each and every day at award-winning The Lab Gastropub. We are committed to providing exceptional food and beverages, as well as seamless customer service, in a comfortable, community environment. Whether it’s game day (FIGHT ON!) or just another week day, students, faculty, staff and visitors alike flock to The Lab for a warm welcome and a familiar face. Join us as we continue to create an innovative, enthusiastic dining experience for a wide variety of customers.
We are seeking a Station Chef II to join our rapidly growing team.
Our culinary team takes pride in going above and beyond in the pursuit of innovative, wholesome, and fresh menus. The Station Chef II will have the opportunity to lead our team in creating an exceptional dining experience for our guests. You will be responsible for ensuring that all of our meals exceed our expectations for quality, and remain consistent with the recipes and menus provided. As a member of our team, we expect that you are passionate about the food you create and present to the many members of our Trojan Family and to the guests that visit us.
- Provide customer services to faculty, staff, students, and guests. Ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction. Maintain friendly, helpful demeanor. Provide timely options for customers with specialty diets or dietary restrictions.
- Provide guidance and direction to culinary and kitchen staff. Assist with on the job training for new/existing staff to ensure cooking techniques, recipes, and unit chef/manager’s directions are followed. Ensure staff is performing duties in a timely and consistent manner under the direction of the unit chef/manager.
- Measure and mix ingredients according to recipes and/or direction from culinary supervisors. Cook and pre-prepare food according to culinary supervisors’ directions to specific quality, quantity, appearance, and temperature, including compliance and consistency with product, menu, and recipe specifications and on time production standards.
- Prepare high quality soups, sauces, salads, appetizers, dressings, stews, and desserts in a timely manner. Ensure consistent quality of food goods with preparation and final execution.
- Assist in creating daily specials and recipes in conjunction with the unit chef/manager. Perform related duties such as developing new/modified recipes and practical application of new/modified a la carte menu and special event menu items.
- Maintain working knowledge of classical and modern cooking techniques including but not limited to grill, fry, broil, roast, poach, blanch, and bake. Learn and execute new techniques applied to batch, prep, and a la carte menu items.
- Maintain full knowledge of all menus, recipes, and special event menus. Maintain daily production lists and event prep sheets. Assist in ordering and maintaining inventory including cost control measures and proper storage. Plan station production on a daily and/or weekly basis based on established forecasts. Provide written and oral instructions to staff.
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of facilities, kitchen common areas, stations, tools, kitchen small wares, and cooking equipment. Participate in inspecting work areas for compliance with department sanitation standards and report any maintenance issues to the unit chef/manager. Complete temperature and cooling logs as directed.
- Adhere to department service, health, and sanitation standards, safety and university rules and regulations. Store all food goods in approved containers that are wrapped, dated, and labeled and store equipment in proper space.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Education: High School Diploma not required.
- Experience: 3 years.
- Experience as a lead cook in a restaurant or hotel kitchen environment.
- Knowledge of all kitchen equipment, small or large scale.
- Knowledge of both fine dining and banquet style cooking.
- Demonstrated customer service experience.
- Experience working in fast-paced, high-volume kitchen environment.
- Ability to supervise other workers.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English.
- Knowledge of food handling and sanitation procedures.
- Must successfully complete Station Chef Culinary Skills Test.
- Presents oneself professionally, in line with a higher education environment.
What We Prefer:
- High School Diploma
- Certified culinary program diploma or certification.
- 5 years of experience as a lead cook in a restaurant, hotel, and/or high-volume banquet and catering operation.
- Experience supervising, training, and developing other workers.
The Trojan Family Rewards:
We pride ourselves in creating the BEST USC EXPERIENCE, and that begins with our employees! We offer a wide variety of benefits and programs that support our staff and their families including:
- Benefits: dental and vision plans, tuition assistance for our employees and their families, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, 2:1 retirement plan contributions, child care centers and up to $50,000 housing subsidy. And because we are a qualifying public service organization, you may qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) for educational loans. Don’t believe us? Visit benefits.usc.edu.
- Perks: discounts to USC sporting events, USC Bookstores, wireless plans, travel, accommodations, and local entertainment.
- Career Growth: We are the largest private employer in Los Angeles offering tremendous development opportunities in multiple fields and industries. The Trojan Network connects current and previous members of the Trojan family to create an endless professional network.
This support advocates work-life balance and employee well-being. As members of the Trojan family, employees are connected by the traditions and history that make us proud to be Trojans!
As an equal opportunity employer, USC values and promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. The work culture thrives on mutual respect, trust, and synergy amongst all of its members.
USC has great minds that transform the world with their talents and research. Will you be one? Join us!
Less than high school
Minimum Field of Expertise:
Culinary School Certificate/Diploma from a culinary arts and management nationally
accredited school. Four years of experience must include at least six months as a USC
Culinary Specialist II or Station Chef I or equivalent culinary experience in an external full
service restaurant operation. Must successfully complete the culinary skills test
administered by the Executive Chef. Knowledge of all kitchen equipment, small or large
scale. Knowledge of both restaurant and banquet style cooking. Demonstrated customer service experience. Experience working in a fast paced working environment. Knowledge of classical cooking techniques and modern cookery. Ability to effectively communicate in English.
REQ20053119 Posted Date: 11/16/2017 Apply