Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $5 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Student Services Advisor IApply Astronautical Engineering Los Angeles, California
The Astronautical Engineering Department in the USC Viterbi School of Engineering is
seeking a Student Services Advisor to join its outstanding faculty, staff, and students.
This position reports directly to the staff supervisor and works closely with Department
Chair and program directors.
Under the direction of the Department Chair, Directors of PhD and Master's programs,
and Lead staff, in the implementation of the ASTE & SAE academic programs with the
• Provides academic advisement and counseling for undergraduate and/or graduate
students, such as of the curriculum, course and degree requirements, transfer
credit evaluation and graduating counseling and clearance.
• Evaluates student problems, academic, administrative or personal and refers
students to appropriate student services for additional counseling.
• Liaises with other offices on behalf of students to facilitate problem resolution.
• Maintains academic unit student records and coordinates registration activities,
grading, degree progress, enrollment and degree verification and transcripts with
the USC Office of Academic Records and Registrar. Assists with Petition
applications, resumes and letters of recommendation.
• Counsels or advises prospective students and families, on admissions, financial
aid, housing and academic requirements. Provides initial evaluation of admissions
and financial aid applications.
• Interfaces with faculty, administrators and students regarding grading policies,
academic progress and student promotability.
• Assists in the preparation or update of bulletins, newsletters, handouts, guides,
brochures, registration, transfer of credit evaluation, course and degree
requirements, graduation requirements, petitions and other related student
• Assists managing large population of remote students, with associated difficulties
of dealing with complex issues.
• Assists in the review of admissions criteria with Directors of PhD and Master's
programs and Department Chair.
• Assists ASTE faculty in curriculum development in the Curriculum Management System.
• Prepares and processes graduate assistants fellowship and offer letters.
• Attends regular meetings with Graduate and Undergraduate Student Affairs
• Maintains working knowledge of all USC & Viterbi database systems.
• Performs other related duties and responsibilities. The University reserves the
right to add or change duties at any time.
Required Applicant Documents
- Cover Letter
These documents may be submitted as one PDF. Applications will not be considered complete without these documents.
Bachelor's Degree or combined education and five years experience in student programs
or student services. Ability to meet and manage deadlines, work independently and well
under pressure. Also have knowledge in web administration for development of
department website. Possess strong organization and prioritization skills. Experience
working in academic setting and diverse workplace preferred.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's Degree Minimum Experience: 1 year Minimum Field of Expertise: Student Programs or Services Experience
REQ20078685 Posted Date: 08/13/2019 Apply