Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $5 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Associate Director, MS Marketing Career ServicesApply Department of Marketing Los Angeles, California
Associate Director, MS Marketing Career Services
Marshall School of Business
Graduate Specialized Masters Programs
The USC Marshall Graduate Specialized Masters Programs help students gain critical expertise in a business area of their choosing. Students can complete these specialized degrees as quickly as 12 to 18 months, depending on the program.
Among the Marshall School’s specialized degree programs is the Master of Science in Marketing, a 12 month program for full-time students, supporting between 50 and 60 students annually. The program is designed to develop an in-depth knowledge of relevant and innovative marketing skills and techniques for prospective students interested in pursuing or enhancing their existing marketing careers. The program provides tools, concepts, frameworks, critical thinking skills and practical hands-on projects in areas of interest that include entertainment, sports entertainment, luxury and lifestyle, technology, healthcare and marketing start-ups.
The responsibilities for this Associate Director role will be divided approximately 50% for MS-Marketing career support, 25% finance/budgeting for three MS programs, and 25% for analysis and reporting for the specialized degree programs.
The Associate Director for MS Marketing Career Services manages relationships among multiple constituencies (employers, students, alumni, faculty, staff, and administration) in a mutually beneficial career advisement and educational capacity. This position serves as a career advisor for students, and as a resource for employers wanting to expand their presence within the Marshall School of Business. The incumbent will manage career exploration and recruitment preparation activities for Marshall graduate students, with a focus on full-time job opportunities, across a variety of functions and industries within marketing.
The position will also plan/monitor budgets and process purchases/expenses for three specialized masters programs, as well as gather data for specialized masters programs’ analysis and reporting purposes. The position reports to the Academic and Program Director of the MS Marketing program.
This position will be part of a team that manages the career needs for the Master of Science in Marketing program, and support the budgeting/planning needs for the broader specialized degree programs. Key job accountabilities include:
- Advise or counsel students regarding career issues and strategies, internship search methods, resume preparation and related matters. Determine career counseling needs of individual students as well as groups of students and develop action plans accordingly.
- Liaise with the Graduate Career Services team, cultivate relationships with corporate recruiters to develop internship and full-time job opportunities, as well as support career development programming. Manage and expand relationships with existing corporate recruiters and other company representatives. Generate new leads/relationships at companies in targeted industries and functions for on and off-campus recruiting.
- Plan and teach student workshops and seminars covering pertinent topics such as career exploration, resume building, recruitment preparation and interview techniques, job searching, and more.
- Directly support development programming and initiatives, such as large scale recruiting events, career and skill development activities, resume reviews, mock interviews, online alumni resource directory, and other related activities.
- Engage with Marshall student organizations regarding career programming and employer contacts that would benefit members.
- Manage a variety of student/employer assessments to determine program effectiveness.
- Daily usage of Marshall Career Services Online (MCSO), an in-house career management software system (GradLeaders). This is the Marshall graduate online tool for job and internship searching, career assistance and resources, recruiting events, and announcements.
- Liaise with the USC Career Center; Daily usage of ConnectSC, the campuswide tool for job and internship searching, career assistance and resources, recruiting events, and announcements.
- Coordinate program-wide general outreach materials (such as welcome packets) and recruitment activities (such as career fairs).
- Attend professional meetings to stay current on career and employment trends and ensure the University maintains a presence in the recruitment community.
- Maintain awareness of university-wide academic and employment policies for both domestic and international students. Maintain awareness of hiring trends and use the information to improve the effectiveness of strategies.
- Maintain updated records of students, placement activity and recruiter contacts for use by self and other career services and program staff as appropriate. Provide current data for reporting purposes as needed.
- Assist other MS Marketing staff members with programming and events.
- Assist the Academic and Program Director, as well as the Associate Director, for MS Marketing as needed in strategic goal-setting and process development.
- Gather financial data and assist in budget development. Monitor assigned program expenses.
- Processing, paying, managing and monitoring assigned parts of the department’s budgets;
- Assist in budget development, manage expenditures, balance ASR's and provide reports to Director
- Coordinate implementation of program protocols, develop materials
- Collect, compile internal and external data for reporting and planning purposes.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Strong organizational, communication, and relationship building skills.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in the face of changing priorities and fluctuating workloads.
- Genuine interest in working with graduate students.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of five calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for staff and their family with access to the renowned university medical network; eligibility for retirement plans with employer contributions after six (6) months of employment; tuition benefits for staff and their family; free Professional Development classes; central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, buses and free tram pick up services; discounts to football, basketball and other campus events.
“The University of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer that Values Diversity.”
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 3 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Directly related experience in student services and programming with ability to lead
REQ20052347 Posted Date: 10/30/2017 - Thru date - 12/31/2017 Apply