"The University of Southern California is committed to excellence in teaching through strategies that foster the knowledge, skills, relationships, and values necessary for students to make real contributions in a rapidly changing world. USC is an equitable and diverse research university, and we recognize the many ways inclusivity strengthens our campus community. Our superb faculty have the exceptional responsibilities of creating new knowledge and instructing and guiding our passionate, hardworking student body" –Elizabeth Graddy, Executive Vice Provost for Academic Affairs
Associate or Professor of Clinical Pediatrics (Divison of Endocrinology)-CHLAApply Keck School of Medicine Faculty Los Angeles, California
The Keck School of Medicine (KSOM) of the University of Southern California (USC) and Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA) in the Department of Pediatrics are actively seeking a full-time faculty member for the position of Associate or Professor of Clinical Pediatrics.
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA) and The Saban Research Institute are searching for a Research Director at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor for the Division of Endocrinology in the Department of Pediatrics. Candidates must hold a MD, DO, and/or Ph.D. degree and have a record of training and achievement preparing them to positively expand research and clinical practice in the field of diabetes and endocrinology. The successful candidate will enter an environment already rich in translational, clinical, and basic science research in these areas. This leader will integrate with other endocrine, diabetes, and obesity medicine investigators to further the understanding of endocrine disorders, diabetes, and obesity and develop novel approaches to disease prediction, prevention, and treatment. The overarching goal of the work includes addressing disparities and inequities in care for marginalized and historically excluded populations with the intent of advocacy and systemic change.
Research within the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism includes bench, translational and clinical research components; clinical programs; and community outreach. The Director will work to align research activities, define scientific and clinical priorities for the future, and develop a strong research infrastructure moving forward. The successful candidate will deliver a productive, collaborative, and vibrant basic, translational, and clinical research program visible to the hospital, university, community, and colleagues.
The goals for the Research Director, Endocrinology include:
- Build research teams to provide critical mass for R01s, training grants, and divisional research efforts.
- Expand diabetes, obesity and endocrinology translational research, particularly in the CHLA patient population.
- Design mentorship pathways and trainee programs to develop future scientists in diabetes, obesity, and endocrinology.
- Expand collaborative work with scientists, clinicians, and advocates at the Keck School of Medicine and across USC.
- Support research quality and process improvements in the division and across CHLA research infrastructure.
Expected deliverables include:
- Strengthen and expand division’s research, particularly in marginalized and historically excluded populations.
- Build research infrastructure required to conduct high-quality and high impact clinical and translational research.
- Assist in integration of research opportunities into clinical care.
- Support T32 training grant application with goal of subsequent K12 application.
- Secure four or more new R01 (or equivalent) awards, setting the groundwork for divisional training grants for postdoctoral fellows and junior faculty as well as larger center and regional grants.
- Support research financial sustainability across the division by identifying funding opportunities for pilot research or underfunded research programs.
- Participate in philanthropic efforts to promote research efforts and endowments.
- Recruit and provide mentorship for junior and senior research faculty into the division
- Improve research opportunities across all levels of experience, from student volunteers to senior faculty.
- Increase opportunities to showcase division research at the local, national, and international level through publications, conferences, and events
- Support efforts to improve access to clinical research support services at CHLA
- Develop support in the division for centralized patient research registries, medical record data extraction, and quality improvement studies.
The annual base salary range for this position is $202,128 -$243,772. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Academic appointment through USC Keck School of Medicine is available at a level appropriate to training and experience. USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. CHLA and USC greatly values diversity and are committed to building a vibrant and culturally diverse community of faculty that best reflects the patients and families that we serve. Individuals from underrepresented groups in medicine are especially encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education: Ph.D., M.D., and/or D.O.
Preferred Field of Expertise: Research in Endocrinology, Diabetes, or Metabolism/Obesity
If interested, please apply using the link above. For further inquiries, please contact:
REQ20128746 Posted Date: 01/24/2023 Apply