"As provost, I know that our academic excellence depends on the contributions of all our faculty. Our faculty advance knowledge through our research, teach our talented students, and provide excellent health care to our patients. USC seeks to attract the best and brightest faculty, and we provide a collegial academic environment and employment conditions in which they can flourish and achieve academic success." Michael Quick, Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Head, Von KleinSmid Center Library (#334B)Apply Public Services Los Angeles, California
The University of Southern California (USC) Libraries seek an innovative, service-oriented information professional to lead the Von KleinSmid Center (VKC) Library for International and Public Affairs. This position reports to the Director of the Sciences and Social Sciences Division. The Head will provide leadership, guidance, and management of a team of librarians and staff to ensure quality services and collections to support the teaching, learning, and research needs of USC students, faculty, and staff in the Sol Price School of Public Policy, political science, international relations, and related undergraduate and graduate disciplines, and interdisciplinary majors and minors in the Dornsife College of Letters, Arts, and Sciences as well as other Schools. The Head will be responsible for fostering creativity and collaboration in a team-based environment. The Head will also facilitate communication and coordinate services and collections within the library, across the Division, and in conjunction with the USC Libraries emerging Collections Convergence Initiative. The Head will cultivate strong relationships with faculty, students, campus partners, and the wider library community.
This position requires a commitment to developing student-focused services and a combination of skills and confidence that will contribute to the transformation of instruction, outreach, reference, and collections at USC Libraries. We seek candidates motivated by a passion to develop transformative library services and invested in the future of librarianship. The successful candidate is expected to be creative in identifying and solving problems within a collegial and collaborative environment. The successful candidate must be knowledgeable of current relevant library and scholarly information trends and practices, and be able to apply this understanding to make a significant, positive impact on the USC community. Duties include weekend and evening hours.
THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
The University of Southern California is one of the world’s leading private research universities. An anchor institution in Los Angeles, a global center for arts, technology, and international business, USC’s diverse curricular offerings provide extensive opportunities for interdisciplinary study, and collaboration with leading researchers in highly advanced learning environments. With a strong tradition of integrating liberal and professional education, USC fosters a vibrant culture of public service and encourages students to cross academic as well as geographic boundaries in their pursuit of knowledge. For more information, visit www.usc.edu
The USC Libraries actively support the discovery, creation, and preservation of knowledge. We develop collections and services that support and encourage the academic endeavors of faculty, students, and staff; value serving a culturally diverse community; build a community of critical consumers of information; and help develop engaged world citizens. Through these means, we contribute to the continued success of the University of Southern California. The USC Libraries includes the Doheny Memorial Library and fourteen specialized libraries with an operating budget of approximately $41 million. Through an active outreach program librarians and staff at USC Libraries conduct orientations, workshops, and instruction sessions that reach thousands of undergraduate and graduate students annually. For more information, visit https://libraries.usc.edu
For information about the VKC Library and a description of its collections visit: libraries.usc.edu/locations/vkc-library.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Reporting to the Director, Sciences and Social Sciences Division, the Head will:
- Lead and manage the VKC Library in the context of the Libraries’ strategic plan
- Coordinate and supervise all VKC librarians to fulfill reference, instruction, outreach, and collection development assignments
- Provide leadership in developing and assessing innovative research support services in the social sciences using disciplinary and specialized materials, government information, social science data, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Provide in-person, virtual reference, and research consultation services
- Provide teaching and research-focused information services, including developing and conducting instruction programs focused on advanced resources for students in the Price School and in Dornsife College
- Participate in library and other committees as assigned
- Engage in professional and/or subject discipline organizations, research, or publishing that will have a significant, positive impact on the VKC Library and the USC Libraries strategic plan, and advance the University’s strategic plan and vision
- Provide evening and weekend service as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum qualifications: MLS from an ALA-accredited program or non-U.S. equivalent is typically required for a librarian appointment at USC. In addition, candidates must provide evidence of:
- Undergraduate degree in the social sciences or humanities
- At least three years of experience working in an academic, research, or special library, with increasing leadership or managerial responsibilities
- Experience working with specialized information resources in the social sciences
- Experience with managing budgets and organizational planning
- A strong commitment to public services and user-centered reference and instructional services within an academic or research library setting
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Experience in solving problems independently and collaboratively
- Knowledge of current professional trends, especially those relating to research support services to a diverse population on and off campus.
- Graduate degree in the social sciences
- Demonstrated knowledge of scholarly communication trends in the social sciences, social science data curation, and research data management
- Experience managing projects in a library, academic, or information environment
FACULTY APPOINTMENT RANK/SALARY
Rank: Assistant or Associate University Librarian
Librarians at USC have faculty status. This is a full-time, continuing appointment track position. Appointment to the continuing appointment track requires the potential to meet the University’s criteria for granting continuing appointment—excellence in librarianship—which librarians achieve by having a significant impact on the development and/or implementation of high quality collections and/or services. Additionally, librarians must demonstrate the expectation of continued excellence and growth in profession expertise. Rank and salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
For more on criteria and qualifications for the appointment, promotion and continuing appointment of librarians at USC, visit: https://libraries.usc.edu/sites/default/files/criteria_document07152008.pdf
Benefits include a choice of retirement programs, 22 paid vacation days per year, university holidays, a choice of medical and dental plans, and tuition assistance (for employees and eligible dependents). For more information about benefits see benefits.usc.edu.
As part of the application, candidates must upload one document file (Word or PDF) that contains the following: 1) a cover letter, 2) a curriculum vitae (including telephone and e-mail address), and 3) a list of at least three references that includes the name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address for each referee.
Closing date for applications: until filled.
For more information about this position, contact Shahla Bahavar, Chair of the Search Committee, at email@example.com.
USC is an equal-opportunity educator and employer, proudly pluralistic and firmly committed to providing equal opportunity for outstanding persons of every race, gender, creed and background. The university particularly encourages members of underrepresented groups, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply. USC will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship. Further information is available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
REQ20038897 Posted Date: 11/03/2017 Apply