Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Research ProgrammerApply ICT Los Angeles, California
Since 1999, ICT Vision and Graphics Lab has been widely known for its pioneering Light Stage measurement-based capture technology, and its disruptive advances in HDR rendering. But over the last few years, VGL has been bringing deep learning research and novel data-driven techniques to advance end-to-end acquisition and content creation, with new capabilities such as deployablilty in the field, full body digitization, and differentiable renderings, and true-to-life real-time performance capture.
VGL is leading efforts on creating virtual humans at scale and capturing performances in unconstrained environments are recognized by the entertainment industry and government stakeholders alike. Further, the lab is making discoveries in physically-based neural rendering for general objects. This breakthrough will be beneficial for immersive AR/VR experience in the future.
In addition, over the last couple of years the lab has been pursuing research and engineering works in understanding and processing of 3D scenes, specifically in reconstruction, recognition, and segmentation, using learning-based techniques. It has important values in practical applications of auto-driving, AR, and VR. VGL endeavors to develop advanced techniques for better 3D data generation and for automatic data cleanup, organization, annotation, and completion of both real data and synthetic data, either in image space or 3D space, to generate well-structured data for multiple learning-based 3D tasks. We use the data to train the neural networks for the joint reconstruction and segmentation of large-scale 3D scenes.
Our lab continue to advance fundamental research for emerging applications such as real-time teleportation, interactions with virtual avatars, and VR simulations enabling new training, education capabilities as well as novel command-level decision making tools relevant to the US Army’s synthetic training efforts.
The Vision and Graphics Lab at USC’s Institute for Creative Technologies (ICT) located in Playa Vista is seeking a Research Programmer I to join The Vision and Graphics Lab to push the boundaries of 3D digitization of virtual humans, objects, scenes and rendering.
The Research Programmer I position requires Computer Science expertise with emphasis in Computer Graphics / Computer Vision and some knowledge of machine learning and will be expected to develop and support software for several ongoing projects at the Vision and Graphics Lab. Candidate must have knowledge in computer vision, computer graphics, machine learning and USB3 interfaces for camera control.
The candidate best suited for this position will have the following experience and skill set:
- Experience with computer vision techniques, multi-view stereo, optical flow, camera calibration and experience with image processing techniques and plugin development.
- Experience with multi-thread programming and memory management. Ideal candidate would have experience solving for complex geometry models.
- Ability to develop software and algorithms in support of high-fidelity digital characters operating in real-time VR; develop faster algorithms for 3D geometric reconstruction of image based sequences, and transfer lighting reflectance to new footage
- Experience with Facial Performance Capture, Human Body Digitization, Multi-View Stereo, Deep Learning
- Experience with computer vision techniques: multi-camera stereo, optical flow, facial feature, detection, bi-linear morphable models, texture synthesis, Markov random fields
- Strong skills in simulation, computer graphics and image processing
- Experience of revision control using Git.
- Strong knowledge of C++, OpenGL, GPU programming,
- Proficient programming skills in C/C++, OpenGL, GLSL and Matlab.
- Experience of Maya C++ API
- Strong math skills
- Knowledge in Computer Vision and Graphics, familiar with 3D rendering pipelines and image processing
- Engineering maths physics and programming, C++, Python, GPU programming, Unity3, OpenGL
- Basic skills in deep learning and experience in training networks
- Knowledge in modern rendering pipelines, image processing, computer vision, computer graphics
Why work at ICT:
- A quality work-life balance
- Meet interesting people from all walks of life – technologists, social scientists, military, writers, producers, philanthropists
- Opportunities for free, top-tier university education for you and your children
- Located in the heart of Silicon Beach
- Great benefits - medical to matched retirement http://benefits.usc.edu/
Minimum Education: Master's degree, Combined work experience and education as equivalent Minimum Experience: 1 year Minimum Field of Expertise: Demonstrated creativity and innovation in solving conceptual programming problems. Competent to work independently on complex programming.
REQ20114872 Posted Date: 03/27/2022 Apply