Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $5 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Special Project ManagerApply MESH Academy Los Angeles, California
The MESH (Medicine, Engineering, Science, and Humanities) Academy is a joint initiative of the Keck School of Medicine and the Office of the Provost. Our mission is to empower the convergence of research in medicine, engineering, sciences, and humanities through educational programs, support for innovation and entrepreneurship, and corporate relations to address challenges in human health and disease. We strive to support wide-ranging routes to innovation at USC and to facilitate multidisciplinary biomedical solutions across the USC community and beyond. We embrace the start-up mentality of creative solutions, fast turnaround time, and individual empowerment.
The USC MESH Academy at the Keck School of Medicine is seeking an energetic, collaboration-focused professional to serve as the Assistant Director of Programs and Operations and help support programming that converges on all areas of the MESH mission: Medicine, Engineering, Science, and Humanities through innovation, education, and connection. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in faculty engagement, interdisciplinary research collaborations, cross-functional project management, and marketing.
The Assistant Director of Programs and Operations will be responsible for the following areas:
- Responsible for developing and maintaining internal faculty relationships, understanding faculty research goals, and facilitate outreach to the USC research community to identify new collaborative projects.
- Efforts will focus on providing service to USC investigators to support the development and progression of interdisciplinary research collaborative projects and support progression of the scientific portfolio through active project management, in partnership with project leaders across the broader organization.
- Support market development activities aligned with USC MESH Academy strategic imperatives. Additionally, this role will also ensure both internal and external offerings are aligned with the USC MESH Academy strategy.
- Manage marketing plans/programs to meet business objectives, including collaboration with internal stakeholders and vendor partners.
- Conduct market research, including competitive benchmarking, and analyze program/event effectiveness used to inform decisions regarding strategic marketing direction
- Manages administrative affairs includes developing effective long-range plans, program development and administration; and supervision of administrative staff
- Develops and promotes a culture of partnership, team-work and scientific excellence
- Facilitates sharing of “best practice” ideas and information
- Excellent communication and people skills – this role is highly relational
- Build and maintain relationships with other departments, programs, and units. Propose and carry out collaborations with other departments, programs, and units to promote interdisciplinary collaboration or entrepreneurial support.
- Create priority academic and research initiatives for the MESH academy.
- Identify opportunities and match them to other departments at USC or other academic institutions.
- Collaborate with USC MESH Program Administrator to develop strategies for marketing and promotion of MESH Academy programs, including personal networking, web, social media, publications, newsletters, and events.
- Represent the program and university as an authority in field. Respond to requests for information, advice or assistance from colleagues, the media, professional or industry associations, etc.
- Assist formation of ad hoc committees and monitors progress toward completion of assigned tasks. Ensures that committee reports and recommendations are submitted in a timely manner. Follows up with implementation as appropriate.
- Prepares status reports on project plans, progress, and results of activities. Develops, enhances and maintains information systems to support project operations.
Why join the MESH team?
The MESH (Medicine, Engineering, Science, and Humanities) Academy is a joint initiative of the Keck School of Medicine and the Office of the Provost. Our mission is to empower the convergence of research in medicine, engineering, sciences, and humanities through educational programs, support for innovation and entrepreneurship, and corporate relations to address challenges in human health and disease. Our team was founded in 2017 and we are fast-growing, nimble, and lean. We embrace the start-up mentality of creative solutions, fast turnaround time, and individual empowerment.
For more information on MESH, visit https://keck.usc.edu/mesh-academy/
Minimum Education: Masters of Life Science or Ph. D.
Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 5 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Program management experience. Demonstrated ability to work equally, effectively, and collegially with internal constituents (faculty and staff, deans, senior University administration). Experience collaborating with faculty across disciplines on research projects, initiatives, committees, etc. Outstanding judgment and capability to manage highly complex issues and relationships, and highly strategic and critical thinking with demonstrated success at delivering results. Ability to influence and manage challenging situations using scientific, legal and/or industry knowledge, and outstanding interpersonal skills. Strong multi-tasking and time management skills in a fast-paced environment. Exceptional communication, presentation, and negotiation skills required. Demonstrated analytical, relationship-building and problem solving skills.
Masters of Life Sciences, Ph. D. preferred.
Minimum 5 years of university setting experience, especially in the health or life sciences
Please provide a cover letter along with your resume submission.
REQ20069531 Posted Date: 01/10/2019 - Thru date - 2019-04-30 Apply