Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As one of the city’s largest private employers, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Sustainability Operations SpecialistApply Administrative Operations Los Angeles, California
The Office of Sustainability serves the University of Southern California and the greater community by helping to institutionalize sustainability throughout the University. USC Sustainability works to form productive relationships between students and faculty, community and university leaders, and broadly defined external stakeholders in search of solutions for USC’s pressing social and environmental challenges. Sustainability staff members work with internal and external stakeholders to help develop lasting solutions for some of USC’s most pressing social and environmental challenges through Assignment: Earth. https://sustainability.usc.edu/2028-framework/overview/
USC is the leading private research university in Los Angeles—a global center for arts, technology, and international business. With more than 47,500 students, we are located primarily in Los Angeles but also in various US and global satellite locations. As the largest private employer in Los Angeles, responsible for $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic and professional schools and administrative units. As a USC employee and member of the Trojan Family—the faculty, staff, students, and alumni who make USC a great place to work—you will enjoy excellent benefits, including a variety of well-being programs designed to help individuals achieve work-life balance.
As a member of the sustainability team and in partnership with stakeholders, the Sustainability Operations Specialist will play a crucial role in the planning, organization, and delivery of specialized services and activities to advance sustainability initiatives and drive positive change at USC. The Sustainability Operations Specialist will facilitate change management primarily across campus operations while further enhancing the university’s academic, research, and community engagement missions.
- Create and develop comprehensive processes, policies, toolkits, behavioral programs, and communication strategies to advance USC’s operational sustainability initiatives.
- Utilize STARS data, institutional benchmarks, and best practices to identify sustainability opportunities and challenges specific to USC and support the implementation of innovative solutions.
- Assess the effectiveness of existing programs, make recommendations for improvement, and implement necessary modifications to ensure climate neutrality, zero waste, and other Assignment: Earth goals are achieved.
- Develop key performance metrics and establish data collection processes to measure the effectiveness of sustainability solutions to ensure continuous improvement.
- Overcome sustainability challenges in a decentralized environment through influence and collaboration rather than relying on formal authority.
- Cultivate relationships with a diverse array of faculty, staff, students, and external partners to build cross-functional coalitions to to promote sustainability initiatives at USC and beyond.
- Establish confidence, cooperation, and consensus among stakeholders through exceptional communication and adept project coordination.
- Support efforts related to experiential learning for students and faculty research in operational sustainability initiatives and goals.
- Support administrative functions, including program planning, budgeting, proposal development, marketing, engagement, reporting, student intern supervision, special events, and other duties as required.
- Uphold USC's Unifying Core Values (integrity; excellence; diversity, equity and inclusion; well-being; open communication; and accountability) through personal actions and contributions.
- Stay informed about emerging developments in sustainability, including regulations, breakthroughs, and funding opportunities.
- Demonstrate a commitment to ongoing learning and professional development in the field of sustainability.
- Remain flexible and adaptable, performing other duties as assigned or requested, as the University may modify responsibilities as needed.
The ideal candidate for the position has the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science or related field.
- Experience leading efforts to reduce nonrenewable resources and minimize environmental impact in large corporate environments.
- Direct experience in sustainability within a higher education environment. Proven experience in operational consulting within a cross-matrixed or decentralized environment.
The candidate for the position must meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Directly related professional experience in project management, program coordination and/or sustainable operations.
- Experience with sustainability efforts (e.g., energy and waste management, resource conservation, recycling). Ability to work with minimal supervision and guidance. Proficient in
- Microsoft Office and other relevant software. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
The hourly rate range for this position is $40.00 - $43.00. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience: 2 years Minimum Field of Expertise: Directly related professional experience in program specialization, e.g., counseling or teaching.
REQ20142638 Posted Date: 11/19/2023 Apply