Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $5 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Web Developer IIIApply USC Institute for Neuroimaging and Informatics Los Angeles, California
The USC Laboratory of Neuro Imaging (www.loni.usc.edu) is looking to expand our Scientific Visualization Group (SVG). We are seeking full-stack web developers responsible for the development of scientific, informational, educational websites and the creation of web-based tools for data gathering, analysis and data interpretations. While this is back-end heavy position, the successful candidate will also have an eye for front-end design in order to create aesthetically pleasing, highly functional web presences. This is not a Java dev or .net position. If you are primarily a Java or .net developer, please apply to one of our other openings.
Benefits of Belonging:
This is a unique and fun group of people doing interesting science. We are looking for a specialist to contribute his/her ideas to improve the lives of many. This is a full-time position and eligible for benefits.
Key responsibilities include:
• Working with the team to define functional end-user requirements and architectural requirements for complex specified Neuro Informatics systems
• Using object-oriented programming techniques to develop, implement, debug and evaluate software using PHP, MySQL, CSS, WordPress and related CMS technologies as needed
• Development of custom Content Management Systems, SaaS Applications, APIs & API driven Applications and Services
• Development of custom deployment hooks, builds, QA services
• Verifying that systems meet performance criteria
• Review code produced by junior level programmers
• Mentoring new hires, taking a broader role in defining requirements, and designing software solutions
Key requirements, skills, knowledge include:
• BS in Computer Science or related is preferred
• Minimum 3 years of experience
• Must have experience with UNIX, LINUX, Mac and Windows OS
• Intermediate knowledge of object-oriented software development
• Good knowledge of relational database technology
• Ability to debug and modify developed code
• Ability to evaluate system performance and reliability
• Ability to optimize code for parallel/multi-processor systems
• Ability to create and maintain program libraries
• Familiarity with version control mechanisms such as GIT
• Knowledge of software engineering concepts: object-oriented programming, data structures, algorithm design, multithreading/parallel processing, technical documentation
• Ability to work independently but interact well with others in a team environment, including liaising with counterparts in database integration efforts
• Ability to think creatively and reason logically in developing new approaches, methods and procedures for data management and application design
• Ability to train other technical staff in software design principles and non-technical staff in the usage of automated systems/applications
• Interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact, communicate, and work as a team member with academic, research, administrative and technical staff
• Ability to communicate business and technical information clearly, persuasively and effectively, both orally and in writing
• Ability to refactor existing code to improve performance, readability and usability
• Knowledge of code design patterns and web page usability constructs
• Ability to review work produced by other programmers
• Mobile, UI/UX experience is a plus
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree, Combined work experience and education as equivalent
Minimum Experience: 4 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Understanding and strong technical knowledge of and experience with object oriented design; Web servers; Web applications and programming languages; Web content management systems, search engine optimization, and usability engineering.
REQ20059154 Posted Date: 07/31/2018 Apply